LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Hahaha have you seen Larry there is no way your “unit” is older or uglier than his

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I might be able to give him a run for the money :) it’s was my grandfather’s and is ~80 years old but still running strong

c7d23124b2eb771345e504d86237f69e.jpg

• Like 3

Update on the guy that stole my friends deer. I sent the DEC officer pins of where the gut pile was, and he was able to find it. I haven't heard the whole story yet, but the guy basically admitted that he took the deer. His story was that he shot a deer, gutted it and thought that was his deer so he took it. Obviously its a complete lie. He knew he missed those deer he shot at and he found a deer that was gutted and had a drag rope attached to it 

See now if this was HornHunters deer youd have no case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I stand corrected, you certainly beat me

That one was my great grandfathers and I would guess that it was first put together in the early 1920’s. If it’s not a hundred yet, it is pretty close.  I put a different motor on it after the one my grandfather had on it drowned in the basement after the old house burned.  

I also put a new #12 knife and 3/16 screen on it, about 100 deer ago, and again right before the last one last year.  In the old days, my grandfather would get them sharpened, but nobody seems to do that anymore.

A new set was $30 on Amazon last year. It plugged up on me a few times, on my last deer, 2 years ago.  It ran a whole bigger one thru last year, as fast as I could load it, without missing a beat.  

I am afraid to look inside the gear-reduction assembly, which looks like it came off of a model T Ford.  I also changed the belt one time, maybe 10 years ago.

I don’t think I am going to use it on the deer that’s hanging in the garage now.  We have a very good supply of grind already, and those button bucks make real tender stew meat for in the crockpot.  

• Like 2

Update on the guy that stole my friends deer. I sent the DEC officer pins of where the gut pile was, and he was able to find it. I haven't heard the whole story yet, but the guy basically admitted that he took the deer. His story was that he shot a deer, gutted it and thought that was his deer so he took it. Obviously its a complete lie. He knew he missed those deer he shot at and he found a deer that was gutted and had a drag rope attached to it 

Hopefully a substantial fine/penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I underestimated the size of this grinder. Wow

D3CE50BE-4ED4-47EF-8ACE-C259FC10BD9F.jpeg

0D57B284-5968-4A5B-82CF-B25C5A3E2035.jpeg

That things a beast.  How many HP? I’ve been using the kitchenaid for single deer and the 3/4 HP for multiple deer or sausage batches.  For one deer the clean up on the big grinder takes more time than the grinding. 

DF33CABC-9FA2-4564-8EA6-6A84ECC87E5B.jpeg

E5CE1E14-8C45-4D3A-902D-EA31F0351B88.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johnplav said:

That things a beast.  How many HP? I’ve been using the kitchenaid for single deer and the 3/4 HP for multiple deer or sausage batches.  For one deer the clean up on the big grinder takes more time than the grinding. 

I went with the 1hp, i don't grind deer meat till i get about 50 lbs, i didn't grind any this year though and have over 100 lbs of venison to grind. were butchering one of our boar pigs next month and making mostly sausage, so roughly 300-400 lbs of pork to grind, i was gonna get the 1.5 hp but decided not too.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnplav said:

I use my wife's kitchen aide to but if it's to much meat it gets to warm and have to shut it down.  I really need to get a medium size grinder before I kill my wife's kitchen aide

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I use my wife's kitchen aide to but if it's to much meat it gets to warm and have to shut it down.  I really need to get a medium size grinder before I kill my wife's kitchen aide

That would be a smart move,haha. I got mid range lem grinder last year and like it a lot...

13 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Interesting.  I've done this hunt many times before.  Met some great guys and some real AHs!!!  Like the ones that say "Your in my area" when they do not know the lay of the land or have ever hunted there before!  Not only does he seem to be committing a theft, he is also in illegal possession of a deer.  Since he did this all on a DEC managed hunt, DEC should be showing no mercy on charges.  They can confiscate his weapon and take his license.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Ha!  Yea you don’t want that kinda trouble, especially if it’s deer related! 

7 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I bought a grinder to replace the kitchen aide. Grinding it works better but the kitchen aide works better for casing sausage. 

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I bought a grinder to replace the kitchen aide. Grinding it works better but the kitchen aide works better for casing sausage. 

I have the sausage stuffer attachment for the kitchenaid and it works OK for small batches.  I've got the LEM vertical for big batches and it's excellent. 

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/mighty-bite-5lb-sausage-stuffers/sausage-stuffers

Be careful. I was chatting with a BOCES culinary teacher last week and he was telling me how cheap the kitchen aides really are for how much they cost. He said all the internal parts are plastic and even trying to blend frozen sticks of butter will fry the machine. He won't even use the bread hook attached because he said it puts way to much stress on the internal parts.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Be careful. I was chatting with a BOCES culinary teacher last week and he was telling me how cheap the kitchen aides really are for how much they cost. He said all the internal parts are plastic and even trying to blend frozen sticks of butter will fry the machine. He won't even use the bread hook attached because he said it puts way to much stress on the internal parts.

I've changed the worm gear on my refurbished Kitchen Aide twice in 15ish years, kneading bread.. a $20 fix... 

For grinder I bought this one and so far so good $180 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFKS53N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

That's exactly right.  Most of the internal parts are plastic now and the gears will strip.  I had to replace internal parts in mine twice in the first few years i owned it.  The older ones had metal internal parts.  Somebody explained to me that the plastic parts are meant to protect the motor from burning out when it's under too much stress- the plastic parts fail before the motor.  Not sure if i believe that or if they're just building them cheaper now than years ago.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:38 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

@Arcade Hunter got a nice buck out of there last year, archery obviously. It sure gets pressure! Ive never been in there

Lack of snow on the ground and the abundance of bedding areas made this place really tough once regular season started.  I couldnt pattern anything in there even late bow muz or holiday hunt.  They dont bed in the same place once the army of hunters shows up and that made it difficult to find them

• Like 1

DF33CABC-9FA2-4564-8EA6-6A84ECC87E5B.thumb.jpeg.8259e2545ee23daf46c717301953c9bb.jpeg
E5CE1E14-8C45-4D3A-902D-EA31F0351B88.thumb.jpeg.737ba6df131f8fff7b8461895ab36c9e.jpeg

I’m looking at getting the grinder attachment for my kitchen aid for just that reason. My grinder is great if I’m running multiple deer through it but takes forever to clean and isn’t fun at all with how much everything weighs. Would be nice to have something smaller to do like 10-20lb batches

7 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I had zero success with my kitchen aid and one pissed off wife. She gladly purchased me a grinder for Christmas years ago to protect her precious machine!!!
All are happy!

Mine didnt work so well either .

The stuff I put through kitchen aid is heavily trimmed and cut small and it works fine and is convenient.  I doubt large chunks, sinew, silver skin, scrap pile type meat would work.  I save that for sausage and the real grinder.

@TheHornHunter 10-20lbs would probably be asking alot from a normal kitchenaid. 

• Like 1