LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Didn't you mention a casing that comes on a plastic sleeve, and are easy to work with? 
We use salted casings that you have to slide onto the tube inch by inch and that slows down the process... especially when you are doing 40-50lbs at a time.  

Yea where in the state are you…. I buy them direct from the manufacture in jersey he doesn’t ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Yea where in the state are you…. I buy them direct from the manufacture in jersey he doesn’t ship

FAR from NJ. 

I just searched for them and pre-tubed casings are available from lots of different websites now.. wondering if they are all the same of if any are better than the rest. 

Jeep is packed and ready to go.  Hoping to be up and out the door by 430 at the latest and in a tree by 6.  Never had good luck when it's as cold as they are calling for tomorrow at first light but I'm hoping I can hang tight until 10ish when it starts to warm up.

Spot I'll be at in the morning is a little island of oak/hemlock. Trails are down to dirt and we found 20 beds in it the last weekend of gun. One side has a nasty swamp with only a few trails coming in from that way but goes from the north side all the way to the southern point of little Island.  Along the east side a beaver has it damned off and deer can't cross because it's straight up a back with a wall of briers.  Where that damn is it has the water chest deep for about 100yrds which leads to a steep bank with only a 20yrd wide gap to get onto the island. 

The food plots are about 500yrds away across the road so I'm hoping they come in from a night of eating with the cold weather.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

One side has a nasty swamp with only a few trails coming in from that way but goes from the north side all the way to the southern point of little Island.  Along the east side a beaver has it damned off and deer can't cross because it's straight up a back with a wall of briers.  Where that damn is it has the water chest deep for about 100yrds which leads to a steep bank with only a 20yrd wide gap to get onto the island. 

I stopped saying a deer can't...... along time ago.  Seen them do too many things I thought was not possible.

Edited by DoubleDose
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I stopped saying a deer can't...... along time ago.  Seen them do too many thing I thought was not possible.

So true. I've seen banks that I would have bet my paycheck a deer couldn't climb and then proceeded to see deer go up and down them daily.

I hunted a spot in the Adirondacks that had at least 100+yds of open water they had to swim most of and a few 100 more yds of cattails that the deer would cross daily. Rivers are the same, even the tail races below dams ..lol

FAR from NJ. 
I just searched for them and pre-tubed casings are available from lots of different websites now.. wondering if they are all the same of if any are better than the rest. 

Show me what you found I think these are different

FAR from NJ. 

Actually this is what you want

https://www.sausagemaker.com/32-35mm-pretubed-hog-casings-p/17-1018.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9q6Q0_Kg9QIVAeazCh2HZggwEAQYAiABEgLEwfD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I stopped saying a deer can't...... along time ago.  Seen them do too many things I thought was not possible.

I know they can go anywhere they want but ive learned  that if they aren't pressured they take the easy path like we would. 

7 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I know they can go anywhere they want but ive learned  that if they aren't pressured they take the easy path like we would. 

Yeah .... I cleared the path to my Ladder Stand quite a few years ago and the Deer turned it into a small Highway judging by their tracks !

4 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Good luck! 13 deg right now with 20 mph winds. I haven't  found a deer yet worth punishing myself that bad lol

4 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Good luck! 13 deg right now with 20 mph winds. I haven't  found a deer yet worth punishing myself that bad lol

Thanks what can I say have a couple screws loose I guess.  Lol.  Just hoping to make it to 930. I have heated socks and good layers so we will see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Yeah .... I cleared the path to my Ladder Stand quite a few years ago and the Deer turned it into a small Highway judging by their tracks !

Had that same thing this year.  Had a cam there and about 50% of the  time the deer used that trail.  Already plan to open up a trail a few yards from there and home they use that instead.  I did take a doe there this season too. 

• Like 1

No deer spotted this morning did find a bear track scouting this morning.  Went and checked some fields looking for feeding sign. Found where I'm setting up tonight.  Corner of the one field is all tore up. So unless I come across something better I'll be in a tree in that corner

20220108_085005.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, First-light said:

Buddy who hunts at my camp shot this yesterday at Sarnoff preserve Long Island. Walked in at 4 shot it 4:30. Third deer this year. Decent buck. Loves venison!

66328496022__F593FB4F-2321-42A1-9156-A149452B3515.fullsizerender.jpeg

Nice !! is the G2 broken off on the right side or under the snow.

You're not the only one in the woods hunting today. I heard 2 other SENY members are as well. Not me.

Took a hike with @Chef today looking for some tree rats or hold over pheasants as he was scouting for a coyote spot. Good to be out even though no game was seen.
He didn’t even make me wear two masks or show my vax card - it was nice of him to bring me a booster shot!!!!!

• Like 8