LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I really had high hopes for this morning. Temperature dropped, no rain, I picked a good stand for a west wind and yet nothing at all. Going to call it at 11 which will make 15 hours in a tree without seeing a deer. Most frustrating start to the season ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Hoping this afternoon is good but first off to catch some bass

I may do a bit of that myself after lunch, as long as the rain holds off.  I am ok with hunting in the rain, but not fishing when it is comes with cold and wind. If I can catch a 22” smallmouth, I think I can get it mounted cheap, and that will make my father in law very happy.

I have a bunch of 1/8 oz buck tail jugs ready to go. They are usually in shallow and ready for those, when the first good fall cold front hits, and we are about 12 hours into that right now.

• Like 1

Saw 1 unknown this morning.  Saw enough squirrels I could of fed an army.  Rubs are starting pop open and I reopened a scrape from last year. Did the same thing last year and they kept it open all last year.  Might go out for a midday scout tomorrow to check for more rubs and scrapes also might put some more cameras out.

• Like 1

Done processing my partners doe. Was nice to use my recently new to me UTV to save on the back. She had two kernels of corn in her stomach - we have corn fields, but it was 99.9% greens. She was hitting the brassica and clover plots much more often so we’re going to shift a bit.

Will be out this afternoon. Set a cam last night in Ohio with some Big N J….sheesh. Still seeing a lot of night images in both NY and Ohio. Even bouncing around to new spots for cams and stands and still not in the mix in daylight yet. 

A3F2E783-567C-4C9A-9194-A1B351D25C8E.jpeg

• Like 5

Done processing my partners doe. Was nice to use my recently new to me UTV to save on the back. She had two kernels of corn in her stomach - we have corn fields, but it was 99.9% greens. She was hitting the brassica and clover plots much more often so we’re going to shift a bit.
Will be out this afternoon. Set a cam last night in Ohio with some Big N J….sheesh. Still seeing a lot of night images in both NY and Ohio. Even bouncing around to new spots for cams and stands and still not in the mix in daylight yet. 
A3F2E783-567C-4C9A-9194-A1B351D25C8E.jpeg.a140e60d247907b428ff9642126ddbc0.jpeg

Was this belly corn in NY or Ohio…

I would be curious to find out what percent or hunters in NY and even on this forum bait and keep it to themselves

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

I really had high hopes for this morning. Temperature dropped, no rain, I picked a good stand for a west wind and yet nothing at all. Going to call it at 11 which will make 15 hours in a tree without seeing a deer. Most frustrating start to the season ever.

Start moving around sir. They’re there. You’ll find them.

1 minute ago, Chef said:

I would be curious to find out what percent or hunters in NY and even on this forum bait and keep it to themselves

That’s just dumb, because it is cheaper to grow corn than to buy it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

We were in NY this morning. We have 2.5 acres of corn hidden in small field off larger ag fields. We have probably 20 acres of corn in the destination spots but we also have about 20 acres of clover/brassica/grains too. Deer seem to have shifted and we though they might be on greens and it appears so based on the stomach contents. You could tel she was out eating in that field all night.

I will say in our area of Ohio, baiting seems about as prevalent as it can be. In your face pretty much - feeders galore at Walmarts, corn suppliers everywhere. We have a corn supplier across the street from our property. We have one feeder at one of the farms but that’s been more or less for curiosity for us and we get does, Turkey, and coons on cam. No bucks.

I have a friend in SE Ohio who runs a lot of feed. The bucks he has is pretty shocking. It’s a culture there. Takes getting used to.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

We were in NY this morning. We have 2.5 acres of corn hidden in small field off larger ag fields. We have probably 20 acres of corn in the destination spots but we also have about 20 acres of clover/brassica/grains too. Deer seem to have shifted and we though they might be on greens and it appears so based on the stomach contents. You could tel she was out eating in that field all night.

I was not implying you are baiting I’m just curious how commonplace it is In NY

I do not invest in the yellow gold here in NY lol.

I will say I used to have land in Sullivan county and it was the only county in the state you could feed out of season…. Don’t know if that is still true or not…

But BIG and J is insane it pulls in deer from near and far better than anything I have ever seen

No birds for me today. Couldnt get on any woodcock and the one pheasant my dog pointed in the hedgerow I whiffed on. I didn't even get a shot off because the gun got wrapped in a vine when I was shouldering it. Next week its back to deer. Still a fun day to be out though

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

No birds for me today. Couldnt get on any woodcock and the one pheasant my dog pointed in the hedgerow I whiffed on. I didn't even get a shot off because the gun got wrapped in a vine when I was shouldering it. Next week its back to deer. Still a fun day to be out though

Picks of the pup man!!!!! We need pics!!!

• Like 2

Eventful afternoon so far…. The 6 from this morning was bedded 15 yards from the stand I was headed too… we didn’t notice eachother till my feet were on the ladder… he took off towards the cattails. No less than 10 min later a doe and a fawn came my skirting the cattail edge

6eaacadff8f3b554ec7d135c7424e6eb.jpg

• Like 4