LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Same area as yesterday because on my way walking out I found some fresh rubs, so I set up about 60 yards away from them with a swamp 200 yards to my right. 54, 3mph wind. Calling for rain tomorrow and Friday morning. 

Seemed like it took forever for it to get light out here this morning. 

20211020_074340.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Same area as yesterday because on my way walking out I found some fresh rubs, so I set up about 60 yards away from them with a swamp 200 yards to my right. 54, 3mph wind. Calling for rain tomorrow and Friday morning. 

Seemed like it took forever for it to get light out here this morning. 

20211020_074340.jpg

That looks similar to where I am sitting right now but I didn’t see any rubs, just a bloated doe stomach about 40 yards up wind.  The swamp is 200 yards to my left.  It feels at least 10 degrees warmer today than it was yesterday at this time.

E38A8DA2-693F-4DD7-8823-60B286C19616.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

1 minute ago, Team Hoyt said:

Nothing in 9r. Wasn't expecting much with the full moon last night. But atleast I'm hunting and not working 

I am going to hunt till about 9:30, go down and have brunch, then work driving snow  fence posts the rest of the morning.  

It is looking like it will be a nice afternoon for fishing out on the lake.  Old long tines better show up by 9:30 or he is safe  from me until tomorrow morning.

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

Late post but hunted 3s management property after school today. Wind was whipping so I tucked into a ledge that holds acorns. At 5;00 winds started to die down at 5:45 I caught motion. Delicious doe! She worked straight to me and at 15 yards she was under a close tree so I drew back. She cleared the tree but was head on-no front pocket shots allowed from climbers. She cooperated and turned to her left and I was able to christen my new to me (courtesy of chef’s need for a new bow) Halon.
504c061af14e2af493fe5fad7a97a680.jpg

4 hours later….
ffa4a2de00df3b685f55406ef586c49e.jpg

I’m going to start a new thread about shot placement and tracking sign since she really threw me off.
Happy to have her and the MEAT she will provide!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atta Boy!! Congratulations!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

3S: quick hunt before work today. 56° here with a 713am sunrise. Only 6mph W wind thankfully. @crappyice killed my target doe, so I’ll try for a buck so @bfahy13 can score fantasy points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm out. Lone Doe at 658am. Came in perfect, broadside at 22yds then quartering away at 25yds. Wind blowing from her to me. Too bad it wasn't a buck. Sorry @bfahy13

Nothing but flies hit the gut pile up until 9:30 this morning.  I made two last checks for the heart and liver on the walk up and down but no dice.  Back in the house for brunch now.  I will be putting a gallon bag in my pack prior to my next hunt.  Thanks for the reminder Fletch.

E6DBE0A1-8363-4690-B77D-308231CFC714.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

Opinions please. Heard a couple grunts in cover 70 yds from stand with good wind. Traded grunts with him a couple times but he didn't step out. Tried (my first in combat!) snort wheeze with no response. Eventually the does wandered off slowly eating.

Question: Do does try to  avoid grunts from a distance thinking they don't want to deal with another buck? Thinking I may have been better off staying quiet and maybe they would feed my way. I called elk most of my life and am enjoying trying to learn whitetail.

23 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Anyone ever get a trail cam picture like this? It’s from a 3 week old Covert wireless. The weird thing is I’ll get a few like this then I’ll get one or two normal ones. Very strange

466b5716ec114812caa0ce3af0572bde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer are getting smart, they use a disabling device which distorts the camera as they walk by :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Opinions please. Heard a couple grunts in cover 70 yds from stand with good wind. Traded grunts with him a couple times but he didn't step out. Tried (my first in combat!) snort wheeze with no response. Eventually the does wandered off slowly eating.

Question: Do does try to  avoid grunts from a distance thinking they don't want to deal with another buck? Thinking I may have been better off staying quiet and maybe they would feed my way. I called elk most of my life and am enjoying trying to learn whitetail.

I think in general does don't like to hear grunting as it means they are about to be harassed.  When they are in heat it may be different.

Calling for whitetails is pretty tricky I think,I generally only use it as a last resort if I am sure a buck will pass me by out of range. Some people have success with it,I am not one of them.

Also,if you are in a tree your chances are lower for success as deer can pinpoint sound amazingly well,and they are not used to grunts coming from height...

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Unit8R said:

I have never had any success at calling does. I've thrown everything I have at them and never got a response. Best I can do is give them a quick bleat to stop them for a shot. 

Mostly now I don't call bucks or does unless it's a last ditch effort to keep them around. I'll wait to see if they naturally make it my way. 

• Like 1

I have never had any success at calling does. I've thrown everything I have at them and never got a response. Best I can do is give them a quick bleat to stop them for a shot. 
Mostly now I don't call bucks or does unless it's a last ditch effort to keep them around. I'll wait to see if they naturally make it my way. 
Agree.....I had an intestine scenario play out last night. We had a brusier appear out of bedding around 6:10......he freshened two near by scrapes and had no clue we were 50-60 yards away in a stand on the edge of a woodline in the middle of a grape vineyard. My son was all jacked up and wanted to start hammering the snort wheeze call he practices daily and i didn't have the guts to let him try. Felt he would have blown the deer outta there in a hurry. So instead when he started walking the grape rows my son convinced me to get down and make a move on him. I took off my boots and went full sneak catching him about 60 yards down a grape row. He presented a broadside shot before heading to another row buts that's outta my comfort zone with a bow. He ended up walking/trotting off slowly leaving his buddy a small fork horn behind.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk