LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Missing tonight’s hunt because we are watching my buddy’s 3 kids in addition  to our 2.  Sucks to miss out on a promising PM hunt, but this should all but guarantee we are done after 2 kids.  Worth it!! 

Hahahah I was done after 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's just very strange this year.  We have always had more bucks than does , even though most of them weren't big.  This time last year we had 8 bucks on cams . This year 3 and two of those we've only got one day of.  Dunno but hope some of the ladies draw something in.  Esp weird since we do have a decent amount of does this year. 

Would say glad I'm not alone but hope you get some more bucks filtering in. 

Add me, no bucks, weird year, even my 37 mile backroad woods commute, I don’t see bucks.  I’m also in an AR zone too.  We keep treating last years buck, as a treat to eat.

• Like 3

Had to flex my topo skills today, I haven’t had the fortune to really need to do that in many years but we are way behind in setting stands for rutcation on our two farms in Ohio. Wanted to get one stand set in a pinch that is also an e-w ridge top. I though for sure we would find a crossing as the field is fenced and has cattle. Was a nightmare to get into and we found little sign on way in until the spot I picked out on the topo. Three scrapes bare dirt and seven rubs within 40 yards of the new stand site.

A bit more E-W action than I thought but I’ll take it. Gambled on the work today and I hope it pays off. Getting here though just makes me want to stop being so out of shape. Got to do more conditioning. Set up a Spypoint Cell. Had two new in box laying around. Of course Spypoint luck bites me, only one will connect to network, other gets nada. Typical. So glad I don’t sell them much except to those who insist.

Also found Corholio the Great 10 yards off the western property line. A pop up and 50 pounds of corn dumped out 10 yards from it and the thing is in a bottom. Not sure how deer tolerate the scent down there like that.

BEED422E-C28D-426B-9189-5B5F83EF0B7E.png

DD32EA9C-3F8B-4708-AACA-6835C0C8D071.png

54FF5E1A-BA13-41C9-855A-4CE240839107.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sat on a stool in the edge of the corn for a couple hours.  Saw a baby bunny and about a thousand birds.  From time to time the deer at my house cross the road and are gone for a week or so.  Usually I have an idea why.  This time I haven't a clue.  One deer on camera in the last 10 days or so.  Hoping for a PM sit at the farm tomorrow.

Finally something in daylight.  I had a buck making a rub and scrape on the other side of some brush 80yrds away. I could see his legs and the tree thrashing. He turned and walked the other way.

Won't be able to go in the morning.  Got a text while I was out and one of .y friends shot a good buck but hit a little far back and high. So we are going tomorrow at first light to track it.  We think it's not to far because a doe went to where he last saw the buck and she was stomping and snorting at something. Going to give him time regardless since it's cold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Finally something in daylight.  I had a buck making a rub and scrape on the other side of some brush 80yrds away. I could see his legs and the tree thrashing. He turned and walked the other way.

Won't be able to go in the morning.  Got a text while I was out and one of .y friends shot a good buck but hit a little far back and high. So we are going tomorrow at first light to track it.  We think it's not to far because a doe went to where he last saw the buck and she was stomping and snorting at something. Going to give him time regardless since it's cold.

Nice! I found a buck like that once . Another buck was standing over him pacing and stomping trying to get my dead buck to spar! Good luck on the morn 

Told him it should be close but better be safe to just back out.

Because you are a good friend and sacrificing an AM hunt (guarantee success!) I should get 1/2 points for your friend’s deer!!!!
Good luck and take pics of the track(entrance/exit, what did it hit, etc) for a different thread!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Because you are a good friend and sacrificing an AM hunt (guarantee success!) I should get 1/2 points for your friend’s deer!!!!
Good luck and take pics of the track(entrance/exit, what did it hit, etc) for a different thread!

Will do

A buck was chasing three does about 100 yards away just before sunset.  When it was clear that they weren’t coming my way I sat back down and did two short grunts.  That buck closed the gap to 15 yards before I could stand back up.  Turned out to be a much nicer buck than I thought, tried to stand for a shot and he bolted.  Way too close for movements like that.    

The buck had a strange rack, beautiful five points on one side and a vertical club on the other.

Sometimes grunts work, I guess.  I was certainly not expecting that reaction.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, FLXmatt said:

A buck was chasing three does about 100 yards away just before sunset.  When it was clear that they weren’t coming my way I sat back down and did two short grunts.  That buck closed the gap to 15 yards before I could stand back up.  Turned out to be a much nicer buck than I thought, tried to stand for a shot and he bolted.  Way too close for movements like that.    

The buck had a strange rack, beautiful five points on one side and a vertical club on the other.

Sometimes grunts work, I guess.  I was certainly not expecting that reaction.

I would say 95%+ of the time, I get no response with grunt calls. That being said, when a buck is in the right mood, it brings them in!! Sometimes charging! I've had some great luck with grunt calls and have killed several bucks because of them.

BTW, that does sound like a cool looking buck! Hope you get another chance at him!

Edited by Cabin Fever

Long story short. Sat here most of the day.20211023_163813.thumb.jpg.357cc4c42af99e52f2363827b2076a9b.jpg
20211023_163756.thumb.jpg.bfa6288293dc4c34d6116bd05d03f1d1.jpg
Passed on this guy. Hope I don't regret it?IMG_4492.thumb.jpg.1c2da95197e03603a1c819f03ca82ed6.jpg
Back in that area again in the morning. I saw something that got me excited. 
Good luck. Might make it down to Pine Bush tomorrow evening. Focused on getting things ready for KY and maybe Ohio though.
Anyway I've learned that if you have any reservations in your gut then you should pass. you shouldn't have regrets if you do. You got the drop on him and that's the hardest part. There's satisfaction in that. Heck I take photos or video if I have time.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Finally saw some deer this evening. I really needed that, I was getting discouraged. 3 doe and two fawns all in bow range and 3 more I couldn't identify. 2 that I couldn't I identify were at last legal time and boy, it was dark. They had me stuck in my stand an extra 15 minutes.

1023211619.jpg

1023211619a.jpg

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 1

Long story short. Sat here most of the day.20211023_163813.thumb.jpg.357cc4c42af99e52f2363827b2076a9b.jpg
20211023_163756.thumb.jpg.bfa6288293dc4c34d6116bd05d03f1d1.jpg
Passed on this guy. Hope I don't regret it?IMG_4492.thumb.jpg.1c2da95197e03603a1c819f03ca82ed6.jpg
Back in that area again in the morning. I saw something that got me excited. 

You’re a better man than I grampy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2