New gear

Buckmaster7600

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I have an aftermarket cantilever on my 11-87.. Fastens to the rib...I've been running a  Leupold 1 x 4  for the last few seasons and I like it..Defintely a lower mount than the saddle mount, ...One disadvantage is that it adds a few ounces to an already heavy gun, but since I do nearly all of my turkey hunting  sitting on a stool in a popup blind it is not a big issue for me..

I looked for a cantilever mount that fastens to the rib, but couldn't find one.  

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I have an aftermarket cantilever on my 11-87.. Fastens to the rib...I've been running a  Leupold 1 x 4  for the last few seasons and I like it..Defintely a lower mount than the saddle mount, ...One disadvantage is that it adds a few ounces to an already heavy gun, but since I do nearly all of my turkey hunting  sitting on a stool in a popup blind it is not a big issue for me..

I looked for a cantilever mount that fastens to the rib, but couldn't find one.  

Instead of new gear I should be getting rid of old gear. I was playing around in the gun room today and found a gallon ziplock with 13 12ga rem turkey chokes and that’s not counting the 4 chokes that are in Remington 12 gauges.

I’m sure I have almost that many for Remington 20ga’s as well. I probably have over 40 turkey chokes if I could find them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought an Indian Creek choke in .665 and will be getting a few boxes of TSS Now before anybody freaks out I have no interest in shooting over 40 yards, I just like the idea of more pellets hitting the bird at that range and once those 5 boxes are gone I am not likely to buy more, I am just using some of this stimulus check to try something new. I would also like to try the Hevi-Weight 13 I think it is called. I am concerned with pattern being to tight under 20 yards, that is my one worry.

I got several new calls, guess I would be considered a collector now. Just got a new scratch Box from Ernie Fetters that came with 2 strikers, I have been wanting one from him for 3 years and finally got one second hand. Also got a new Tulipwood trumpet, sounds great, I do not, I need to keep practising.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Instead of new gear I should be getting rid of old gear. I was playing around in the gun room today and found a gallon ziplock with 13 12ga rem turkey chokes and that’s not counting the 4 chokes that are in Remington 12 gauges.

I’m sure I have almost that many for Remington 20ga’s as well. I probably have over 40 turkey chokes if I could find them all.

If your every having a garage sale can I be an early shopper....lol

• Like 1

If your every having a garage sale can I be an early shopper....lol

I have a very hard time selling anything.

A few years ago I sold a buddy about 500 12ga sabots. I hadn’t shot a shotgun in years, figured I didn’t need them. The next year I got invited to hunt Mass during shotgun season. Took me a week of driving around to get the slugs I needed. It’s just Not worth it to sell stuff to me.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a very hard time selling anything.

A few years ago I sold a buddy about 500 12ga sabots. I hadn’t shot a shotgun in years, figured I didn’t need them. The next year I got invited to hunt Mass during shotgun season. Took me a week of driving around to get the slugs I needed. It’s just Not worth it to sell stuff to me.

Yea, i'm the same way......So i get that...

The saddle mount and the Burris FF3 arrived today.  While it's definitely higher than the rib, the couple snap shots I took today at a tree stump were not as bad as I thought.  Not conclusive results, but nevertheless encouraging.  

• Like 3

On 3/16/2021 at 8:12 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

What has everyone got or plan on getting for this years turkey season?

I’ve got a new 20ga. Ordered but I don’t know if it will be here for season or not. It’s a Retay Masai Mara turkey XT. Finally a quality shotgun company has made me a 20ga semi with a shorter barrel. I would rather have 18” but 22 is a lot better than 26”.

It sure seems like many others are seeing the light and switching to 20ga for turkey.

Congrat on the purchase. A picture or two is not a bad idea when you get it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mowin said:

The saddle mount and the Burris FF3 arrived today.  While it's definitely higher than the rib, the couple snap shots I took today at a tree stump were not as bad as I thought.  Not conclusive results, but nevertheless encouraging.  

Just commenting, you dont need a cantilever rib clamp on with a holographic type site. Same one is used at arms length on a handgun. With no parallax it can sit out over the barrel and still function. I run one on rifles using just the front mount base and "scout" style on a quarter rib.

Truglo one is kinda high, but Aimtech makes one that clamps over a rib and is really thin over the rib. Not sure how many models they fit, and that might be a limiting factor for them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Once i shoot this new 28ga.. If i cant get POI the same as POA .. I plan to attach a halographic to the vent rib. 

Shot a couple birds with a single shot 28 using some 5's. Keep it typical turkey distances and just as dead. They were fall birds and just targets of opportunity, but was still fun. Adjustable rifle style sights on that barrel ment for slugs.

• Like 1

I have some custom Tungsten turkey loads made up for it. But as always i will patttern them and see how they do to learn my limits most certainly. Looking forward to it. My first OU gun. Been a dream of mine since I was a kid. Trap, Bunny Turkey gun 

8 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Shot a couple birds with a single shot 28 using some 5's. Keep it typical turkey distances and just as dead. They were fall birds and just targets of opportunity, but was still fun. Adjustable rifle style sights on that barrel ment for slugs.

• Like 3

I’m not a Burris fan but the spread bead is an awesome mount,
Cant get a dot any lower than that!

I have it. If it dies I can still use the beads that are still there but when your in a weird position setup at the base of a tree it helps. Where the dot is will be where your shot goes. Just moving a little in a weird position blew my mind how much that dot went a stray. Completely understand now why people miss. It does even better low light with birds in flight like hunting grouse or waterfowl.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have it. If it dies I can still use the beads that are still there but when your in a weird position setup at the base of a tree it helps. Where the dot is will be where your shot goes. Just moving a little in a weird position blew my mind how much that dot went a stray. Completely understand now why people miss. It does even better low light with birds in flight like hunting grouse or waterfowl.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Burris lost me as a customer years ago over some awful c/s but the speed bead is about the best mount available. Luckily other companies have copied their design for other brand optics.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:13 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m not a Burris fan but the spread bead is an awesome mount,
Cant get a dot any lower than that!

I have one and hate it. Probably the worst money Ive spent. Lol. probably going to give it to a friend. and go back and drill and tap the receiver or put my saddle mount back on the 870. I cant get mine to not move after recoil. Ive even wedged it (which shouldnt have to be done) and it continues to move after recoil. Neighbor wants it. Told him he can have it lol   

I haven’t updated any of my Turkey hunting gear in over 25 years.  I have a mossberg 835 turkey Gun and old decoys from Walmart.  So decided to upgrade and got a new Browning Cynergy Ultimate Turkey gun in 12 ga. In a 26 inch barrels.  What’s nice is you can hunt with two different choke tubes one for longer shots and one for closer shots  Just got a leuopold delta point pro reflex red dot sight and some new avian x dekes.  All that set me back a small fortune but it was long overdue.