Catskills Primitive Camping

diplomat019

Been doing research on this. Got a tentative game plan. I’m looking to get in the catskills and do some dec primitive camping and trout fishing.  Sundown is a most likely option.  But im looking to drive back in on a country road for a spot. Seen some YouTube videos of this that seemed cool. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of getting back on a dirt road and camping near a body of water.  

Frequently over many years. Not in the Catskills though. Check with the DEC (go to your regional office and ask for information ...they will have gobs) for state game management areas. You can scope them out online, but scouting ahead of time will give you real time idea of conditions, access, etc. Generally on state land you can camp almost anywhere unless otherwise designated, but will be restricted how close to the water you can be unless it is a designated site. Of course not every body of water has car access. There are different designations of woodlands for development/access. Even within a relatively small area you will have different designations. Certainly the Catskills will be the same...State Wild forest, Primitive lands, Game Management areas, etc. 

I'm not sure how far you want to come north, but if you're looking for a drive up primitive site I think Devils Path may have some that are near water. I know Rensselearville State Forest has a few. Can't say much on how the fishing is in either.

There's really not a lot of primitive sites that are meant to be driven too. Also, you can camp in any state forest for up to 3 nights without a permit if you have les then to people.

37 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Frequently over many years. Not in the Catskills though. Check with the DEC (go to your regional office and ask for information ...they will have gobs) for state game management areas. You can scope them out online, but scouting ahead of time will give you real time idea of conditions, access, etc. Generally on state land you can camp almost anywhere unless otherwise designated, but will be restricted how close to the water you can be unless it is a designated site. Of course not every body of water has car access. There are different designations of woodlands for development/access. Even within a relatively small area you will have different designations. Certainly the Catskills will be the same...State Wild forest, Primitive lands, Game Management areas, etc. 

scouting is happening this week.  Id like to parlay camping and trout fishing.  Plenty of great options in the area

• Like 1

How about the headwaters of the Willowemoc, near Claryville? Follow Flugertown Rd. way up, into the back. It gets pretty rough. There are primitive state camp sites back there. There's also a trail head that will lead to Long Pond and a state lean to. 

Don't know if Long Pond contains any fish, but the brooks and streams that comprise the head waters are teeming with native Brookies. Just a bit further downstream, Browns and Rainbows will be available as well. 

I cut my teeth deer hunting around there in the early '70s. It's a really beautiful area.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

How about the headwaters of the Willowemoc, near Claryville? Follow Flugertown Rd. way up, into the back. It gets pretty rough. There are primitive state camp sites back there. There's also a trail head that will lead to Long Pond and a state lean to. 

Don't know if Long Pond contains any fish, but the brooks and streams that comprise the head waters are teeming with native Brookies. Just a bit further downstream, Browns and Rainbows will be available as well. 

I cut my teeth deer hunting around there in the early '70s. It's a really beautiful area.

Thanks for the info!!!!!

2 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Tentatively checking out vernooy kill, echo lake and alder lake.   Im gonna look into devils path as well. Definitely needs to be some fishing around. 

Never been to Echo lake ( always wanted to though!) , but Alder Lake is awesome, as is the Vernooy Kill. I know you can camp at Alder Lake w/ no hassle whatsoever; not sure about the Vernooy Kill , but I think you can also. Both waters hold Trout but in alder, youre more likely to catch Bullhead.

4 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Never been to Echo lake ( always wanted to though!) , but Alder Lake is awesome, as is the Vernooy Kill. I know you can camp at Alder Lake w/ no hassle whatsoever; not sure about the Vernooy Kill , but I think you can also. Both waters hold Trout but in alder, youre more likely to catch Bullhead.

Vernooy has camping from what I researched.   I am 100% going there this summer with my kids to the falls/swimming hole. 

Echo seems legit, and had someone else confirm that who has firsthand knowledge as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, eaglemountainman said:

Scouted around Flugertown today.  Thanks for the tip!   Gonna head there in a couple weeks to camp.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Scouted around Flugertown today.  Thanks for the tip!   Gonna head there in a couple weeks to camp.  

Glad you're going to give it a shot! I used to love hunting and fishing  there in my younger days, back in the '70s. Please post back or PM with your impressions.

17 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

Glad you're going to give it a shot! I used to love hunting and fishing  there in my younger days, back in the '70s. Please post back or PM with your impressions.

Will do!  We drove all the back till we hit a hunting club and then turned around.   The road continued through the camp but at that point I was ready to start fishing.  I will for sure report back and thanks for the tip on that area.