Last Two Local Fur Auctions Of The Year

Steve D

In case anyone is interested:

Sunday March 21st

Genesee Valley Trappers raw fur auction

4462 County Rt 32, Honeoye NY.  

Fur check in starts at 7:00am, sale starts at 10:00

Saturday March 20th:
We will be holding the last Flatiron Fur Shed Fur Sale of this fur season on Saturday, March 20. Von Strahan's Flatiron Fur Shed is located at 3213 County Route 18, Stanley, NY. I will be there from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm and we will again, unfortunately, have to comply with Covid restrictions, same as at the past two sales. Thank you!

• Like 1

If you go can you post the average prices,I kept see seeing some list but they where from Midwest states.I'm mostly wondering if the yotes where still at $50

I read there not even buying small coons or beaver this year.

Thanks

Edited by rachunter
spelling again

13 hours ago, Steve D said:

In case anyone is interested:

Sunday March 21st

Genesee Valley Trappers raw fur auction

4462 County Rt 32, Honeoye NY.  

Fur check in starts at 7:00am, sale starts at 10:00

Saturday March 20th:
We will be holding the last Flatiron Fur Shed Fur Sale of this fur season on Saturday, March 20. Von Strahan's Flatiron Fur Shed is located at 3213 County Route 18, Stanley, NY. I will be there from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm and we will again, unfortunately, have to comply with Covid restrictions, same as at the past two sales. Thank you!

Steve, it looks like you have two different dates in your post. 

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Steve, it looks like you have two different dates in your post. 

Yes I do. There are two different auctions. One is on Sat. in Stanley with one buyer and the other one is on Sunday with multiple buyers in Honeoye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

If you go can you post the average prices,I kept see seeing some list but they where from Midwest states.I'm mostly wondering if the yotes where still at $50

I read there not even buying small coons or beaver this year.

Thanks

I won't be going but if I can get the list I will post it. They used to post a spreadsheet for each auction with  highs, lows, averages, and the number of buyers. I have not seen a sheet yet for this year so either they are not doing it or are waiting to compile  one at the end of the auctions.

If I am able to get one I will post it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

wow terrible.

Tells me you are better off trapping muskrat and skunk...lol. Smart folks are holding fur and waiting for a bump. If you treated it like a commodity trading you would sit on what was low and then you would have it on hand when it goes up.....it always goes back up. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Tells me you are better off trapping muskrat and skunk...lol. Smart folks are holding fur and waiting for a bump. If you treated it like a commodity trading you would sit on what was low and then you would have it on hand when it goes up.....it always goes back up. 

makes sense for sure.

• 1 month later...

No numbers on the number of hides sold or how many buyers but here are the highs, lows, and averages.

Looking at the results it must have been a low turn out:

Type.....................High................Low.....................Avg

beaver..................21.00................1.00...................7.36
castor...................80.00...............80.00.................80.00
bobcat..................40.00...............40.00.................40.00
raccoon.................7.00..................0.50..................4.11
coyote...................51.00.................2.00..................16.00
grey fox.................12.00................8.00...................10.00
red fox...................8.00..................0.50.................5.39
mink......................10.00................0.50...................4.26
muskrat..................6.50..................0.50...................4.70
fisher.....................18.00..................18.00...............18.00
skunk.......................5.00...................5.00.................5.00
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Steve D said:

No numbers on the number of hides sold or how many buyers but here are the highs, lows, and averages.

Looking at the results it must have been a low turn out:

Type.....................High................Low.....................Avg

beaver..................21.00................1.00...................7.36
castor...................80.00...............80.00.................80.00
bobcat..................40.00...............40.00.................40.00
raccoon.................7.00..................0.50..................4.11
coyote...................51.00.................2.00..................16.00
grey fox.................12.00................8.00...................10.00
red fox...................8.00..................0.50.................5.39
mink......................10.00................0.50...................4.26
muskrat..................6.50..................0.50...................4.70
fisher.....................18.00..................18.00...............18.00
skunk.......................5.00...................5.00.................5.00

What auction ?

And for anyone interested the results for the Herkimer Auction held on April 10th:

Species.               Total.             Average
beaver.                 452.              11.51
bobcat.                     8.              62.00
castor.                  81.25 lb.         84.48
coon.                        63.              6.46
coyote.                    51.               39.00
fisher.                       41.             29.55
grey fox.                  16.              17.53
red fox.                    33.              10.56
marten.                      4.             18.75
mink.                       91.                7.02
otter                        54.               30.59
rat.                          1413.             4.92
  • Thanks 1

That’s the problem with honeoye and why that went from one of the best to worst places to sell fur .Buyers all work together there and buy cheap .Usually it takes other buyers to come in and light a fire under their ass to pay more .As you can see ,the averages differ greatly from herkimer to honeoye

Edited by WNYTRPR

No one can predict what is going to happen at one auction or another. It all depends on so many things what the results will be. That is why the "seller" always has the option to declare no-sale. The market being what it is, plus having the borders closed, trappers and hide hunters should be thankful there is a way to sell their hides.

The days of getting rich on hides has long passed.

16 hours ago, Steve D said:

No one can predict what is going to happen at one auction or another. It all depends on so many things what the results will be. That is why the "seller" always has the option to declare no-sale. The market being what it is, plus having the borders closed, trappers and hide hunters should be thankful there is a way to sell their hides.

The days of getting rich on hides has long passed.

We sent all we took to get tanned. I would not be surprised to see fur prices bump up next year. Supply should be down with so my trappers sitting on their traps and not really setting this year. Couple that with the ordered kill off of such a large portion of the farm raised mink overseas and anticipated border openings and I think it'll bump up. This year would have been a good year to sit on and store your fur for next year's sales in my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We sent all we took to get tanned. I would not be surprised to see fur prices bump up next year. Supply should be down with so my trappers sitting on their traps and not really setting this year. Couple that with the ordered kill off of such a large portion of the farm raised mink overseas and anticipated border openings and I think it'll bump up. This year would have been a good year to sit on and store your fur for next year's sales in my opinion. 

It is always hard to predict but this and next year is almost impossible, A lot depends on the markets, the demand, and economies.

I know a lot of guys didn't trap or trapped a limited amount do to the market but I also know of a buyer that is sitting on a ton of fur that he bought cheap anticipating a market upturn. According to him he knows of a few more doing the same thing. Another issue with US fur buyers is getting them across the border since it has been closed and most don't want to bear the cost of shipping them.

There is so much that goes on affecting the market that most of us never know about so we can never know what to expect from year to year.

With "fur farming" in Europe being almost eliminated the demand for wild fur might increase but who knows:

The Complete List of Fur Bans Around the World | PETA. California has also banned the use or sale of furs and who knows how many will follow suit.

California has become the first US state to ban the manufacture and sale of animal fur.
  • California has become the first US state to ban the manufacture and sale of animal fur.
  • Residents will no longer be able to sell or make clothing, shoes or handbags from fur as of 2023.