Emerald Ash Borer and timber harvest

It looks like the EAB is taking a good hold here in central Livingston county. It's pretty sad to see places in Monroe Co and down by Cohocton where it has devastated the ash trees. I especially worry about the ash along the river, where it has provided cooling shade for the north end of the trout habitat. 

My 18 acre wood lot hasn't been hit yet, but I'm guessing it will come so I did a timber cruise this past winter. I located, measured DBH and marked 12 trees that measure 18 in up to 28 inches in diameter. Not wanting to loose that timber value I'm planning on a harvest in the fall. I'll keep a close eye on the trees this summer. Timber prices are at an all time high right now and I don't see them dropping anytime soon.

Anyone here with a wood lot with saw log size tree's will want to think about taking a closer look at the ash trees to determine if they are affected by this ash tree killing invasive beetle. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7253.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They die from the top down and pretty quickly. Don't wait cut 'em and plant something else.  I cut my woodlot last year and those I didn't cut I should have.  Make room for the Darling58 Chestnut tree.  This will be an important addition to increase the food supply for wildlife. 

• Like 2

I had 47 ash trees in my yard , cut down maybe half . I’ve been treating the rest for many years now,this is the product Ive used with great success. My neighbors trees are all dead and falling over , mine ,full canopy, no bark damage .

At first they wouldn’t ship to 4 counties around NYC , then they wouldn’t ship,to,anywhere in NYS, although there web page said just those 4 counties . I did this years treatment today , then I found a guy online who will ship to me , so I ordered the next two years ahead of time .

You can get a weaker product ( 1/2 as concentrated) in like quarts , what a pain the full strength gallons are worth it .

Incase anyone has a few in their yards that they wish to keep .

37367061-9432-475A-8B91-40A6DAFD23D9.png

Every where i go in pa and ny is devistated by them but with soo much timber available now why it lumber cost going up absolutely criminal also a sign of how much is out there is no one is picking up fire wood left along roads by tree trimmers 

The previous homeowner cut ~200 ash trees in the yard last summer. Unfortunately, all I was left with was grinding the stumps, so yes I counted! :rolleyes: There was ~50 left, but many were showing signs of dying, so I cut down another 20 or so this spring. By the looks of the rest, I'll probably cut them next winter...

The neighbors property is mainly ash and looks terrible.... Very sad!

why it lumber cost going up

30 minutes ago, greensider said:

timber available now why it lumber cost going up ?

Many living and quite few dead folks voted often and repeatedly for the current administration.  They want a wave of inflation (Just like Jimmy Carter's time) to make everybody dependent on our "leaders"   Don't believe me? Just ask Chuck and Kirsten how better off we are now under their tutelage .  It took Jimmy Carter his administration years to turn a nickel candy bar into a $1.75.  These folks want  to turn $1.85.g gas into $8.00/gallon  and force us all into the cities where they can control everything we do. ...I retired because I would not tell my patient's that masks make a difference.  Dissent will not be tolerated.

The reason is...we are still buying the lumber at that price.  Find a small local mill and you can still afford to build

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, Berniez said:

why it lumber cost going up

Many living and quite few dead folks voted often and repeatedly for the current administration.  They want a wave of inflation (Just like Jimmy Carter's time) to make everybody dependent on our "leaders"   Don't believe me? Just ask Chuck and Kirsten how better off we are now under their tutelage .  It took Jimmy Carter his administration years to turn a nickel candy bar into a $1.75.  These folks want  to turn $1.85.g gas into $8.00/gallon  and force us all into the cities where they can control everything we do. ...I retired because I would not tell my patient's that masks make a difference.  Dissent will not be tolerated.

The reason is...we are still buying the lumber at that price.  Find a small local mill and you can still afford to build

Amish mills are great and make dimensional lumber at the same old prices