Happy Spring!

grampy

First day of spring today! Been a long winter. Hope to get up to the farm for a walk in the woods, after a house hunting trip close by this morning.

Want to get started soon on some deer stand relocations. Also prep work for food plots.

What do you have planned for early spring this year?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

First day of spring today! Been a long winter. Hope to get up to the farm for a walk in the woods, after a house hunting trip close by this morning.

Want to get started soon on some deer stand relocations. Also prep work for food plots.

What do you have planned for early spring this year?

The biggest ones I got to get done is taking down this old silo and barn:

20210320_100544.jpg

That concrete silo foundation will make a nice, big fire pit, after I get everything else cleared away.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That concrete silo foundation will make a nice, big fire pit, after I get everything else cleared away.

Always disappointing to me when old barns are taken down.  The history, and all those old weathered boards I love.

• Like 1

20210320_100544.thumb.jpg.fb45e96c9f25c16b6fdf0e4be2a144d7.jpg
Save me some barnwood. Need to make a cool accent wall for my future house's trophy room

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

18 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Always disappointing to me when old barns are taken down.  The history, and all those old weathered boards I love.

I too love old barns. On our trips to Vermont, I'm always checking them out. Some real nice ones locally too. 

We have been debating on taking the original barn, at the farm down. It was built in the 1830s. The main structure beams are now getting pretty sketchy. And we'd put in a large pole barn that would be more feasible for us now. But we just can't bring ourselves to tear the old one down........yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

I too love old barns. On our trips to Vermont, I'm always checking them out. Some real nice ones locally too. 

We have been debating on taking the original barn, at the farm down. It was built in the 1830s. The main structure beams are now getting pretty sketchy. And we'd put in a large pole barn that would be more feasible for us now. But we just can't bring ourselves to tear the old one down........yet.

Definitely a difficult situation to be in for sure.  Our family, had a central southern PA farm in the family for about 100 yrs, great grandpa, grandpa, etc etc lived there, my great uncle, never lived anywhere but that farm, other than for the wars he participated in.  Long story short, we saved a load, or two of the siding boards.  We made a collage of family farm photos to give to my grandpa, and I will be making a nice rustic kitchen table out of the siding boards, and placing glass overtop of it, to preserve it to set in my kitchen.  We are trying to just make some memorable pieces from the barn, to keep it here in someway, shape, and form.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

This one was especially tough for me, because it was put up by my great-great grandfather, in 1883.  If only he had built it on higher ground, such that the foundation would have held up better, I might have been able to save it.  

That would have been tough for him, as this is some of the lowest lying ground in the region.  I am thankful for that, because it really limits the urban sprawl, hopefully allowing me to hunt from my back door, throughout my lifetime.

I have already completed the dismantling of an even older twin to that barn, in order to make room for a new pole barn.  I used much of the old salvaged timbers and siding boards in that construction, so it still has the material, and the "feel" of my great-great granddad's old buildings.

That "compromise" took time and effort, but saved dollars and future maintenance, providing all the comforts of a modern, steel-sided and roofed building.  It is way more comfortable to work in than those old barns were.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

This spring I plan to do a lot of fishing. Stripers and trout mostly. I have been reading about jigging for squid in the sound and really want to give that a try too.

I also plan on hunting mushrooms and Ramps every chance I get.

Oh and some Turkey hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Due to the Rona, the SE is playing football right now. My boy plays varsity, I coach the JV team and that rolls right into my golf coaching season, baseball for one and crew regattas for the other.
Great to be back out there but I do remember a bunch of spring Turkey hunts in the height of the pandemic that won’t be happening this spring.
Hoping to hit the west branch at the right time with chef and AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk