Sometimes My Kimber Montana 84M Doesn't Go Bang

I posted this in a couple of other forums. Thought I'd put it here as well.

Any advice to remedy light strikes on a Kimber Montana 84M? I understand this is a common problem and that Kimber has a longer/stronger firing pin replacement spring. Anybody know if they charge for these or send them out gratis to rectify the situation?
Also, I've read that Wolfe makes a replacement, but some say the spring diameter is too large to fit the bolt channel. Again, anybody have first hand experience?
Lastly, is there a simple/easy way to measure firing pin protrusion on an 84M without the need for a special gauge that likely will see just one use?

The Kimber is a Mauser 98 clone.  The bolt is a simple take down which you could probably google to replace the spring. I have replaced the firing pin spring on my Mausers, which is easy enought BUT the spring will be under alot of tension and the replacement even more so...

The good thing is there are alot of on line gun shops who can do this pretty inexpensively to be sure that you dont end up with the spring lodged in your forehead (which leaves a mark...dont ask). 

there is a gun smith tool that measures firing pin function, but it will probably be far cheaper for you just change the spring for you.  How is the trigger? It would be a good time to put a Timney/other in too, if the trigger pull aint up to snuff.

Like someone else mentioned, if Kimber can replace the spring, so much the better. Call their customer service. That is alot better than just going by 2nd hand, and they also could give you an idea for turn around. you should just need to send in the bolt. Good time of the year to do it. Most folks wait untl late summer/fall to address gun issues.

• Like 2

Thanks, Daveboone.

I'll give Kimber cust. service a call about sending the bolt in, after I try a few things first. This is how we learn...by tinkering and breaking shit.

BTW, Kimber triggers are excellent. I have both of mine at 2 1/2# and they break like an icicle with zero creep or over travel.

Just a thought.  A friend had this issue with a Remington Mod 700.  Turns out he had sprayed WD-40 into the bolt and it had hardened into a sort of paste that would prevent the firing pin from striking the cartridge hard enough.  It had to be cleaned out with acetone, but the gun shot fine afterwards.