Podcasts

phade

What hunting podcasts do you listen to lately?

I used to like Wired to Hunt, but it's pretty commercialized and I think Kenyon has "grown" as a host but it's MUCH less enjoyable than the early years. I used to listen to it ALOT when I was traveling weekly for work back in 15/16. 

WCB is a good listen for background noise as I work on stuff at the house or a car trip. It can be somewhat unrelatable as almost all of their focus in on midwest whitetail hunting, but it's also still worth a listen with other guests they have. I also can't listen to it when I'm in the office for work due to language/swearing.

Alot of the others I've bounced around here and there and just not as interesting consistently.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

The Hunting Collective - I hate the opening banter but find the interviews pretty interesting. 

Kifaru Cast - no nonsense and gets to the point.

Project Upland - all things birdy.

Anchored with April Vokey - mostly fishing but does get into hunting and some general outdoorsy stuff.

I do listen to Meateater, but I am not up to date on the latest episodes.  The best ones are when he interviews someone with a specific topic and they really get into the details.  He has one where he interviews a meat scientist and I found that very interesting.  Some of the ones where he has just his usual gang can get a little boring, like you are listening in on someone's long dinner conversation in a restaurant.  

Two of the best episodes were when they detail their run in with a grizzly bear in Alaska  - I think the episode numbers are in the early 100's. 

I agree on Mark Kenyon and Wired to Hunt - his best episodes are when he was still working FT at something else, and when he gave it up to focus on the podcasts it started going downhill. 

Dudley was great to listen to, especially when I was very new to archery - but I have not listed to him in a long while.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Anybody listen to Meat eater?  I don't, yet, but they come up often enough on my Google feed that I've gotten curious.

Meateater bought out Kenyon and wired to hunt I guess.

I can't say I am a huge Meateater fan but I know alot like him/them.

I do listen to Meateater, but I am not up to date on the latest episodes.  The best ones are when he interviews someone with a specific topic and they really get into the details.  He has one where he interviews a meat scientist and I found that very interesting.  Some of the ones where he has just his usual gang can get a little boring, like you are listening in on someone's long dinner conversation in a restaurant.  
Two of the best episodes were when they detail their run in with a grizzly bear in Alaska  - I think the episode numbers are in the early 100's. 
I agree on Mark Kenyon and Wired to Hunt - his best episodes are when he was still working FT at something else, and when he gave it up to focus on the podcasts it started going downhill. 
Dudley was great to listen to, especially when I was very new to archery - but I have not listed to him in a long while.  

The meat scientist episode was great. However it defies some of the “old ways of doing it” techniques which caused some “turmoil” this past season when I rinsed the cavity with clean hose water as per recommendation of the podcast. Old timers thought I was nuts and infecting the meat with bacteria...it was a hose! Not creek/swamp water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find Meateater really dull when it's just a group of guys talking. They just don't seem that clever. It's weird as I enjoy Rinella's writing and show.

Off topic, but something I've been enjoying lately is "SmartLess" with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett. In each episode, one of them surprises the other two with a mystery guest. These guys are funny and the episodes are under an hour so easy to digest.

44 minutes ago, Otto said:

Kenyon will end up doing fine for himself because he hitched his wagon to the right horse with Rinella. But, you are right about that full-time drop off. I think it had to do more with the takeover than the actual full time aspect. I think he probably gets pulled in alot of directions instead of controlling his destiny, per say. 

I guess it's kind of hard to knock him since he will likely benefit at a faster pace, but the genuine quality is gone. I listened to one recently and he came off almost as an industry guy, which before he never did. Shame because it reduces relatability. I think the podcast is maybe 10-20% of his gig now. I do hope he makes the $ as he was really the earliest hunting podcaster to go from zero to hero. Something to be said for being a first mover.

Edited by phade

20 minutes ago, left field said:

I find Meateater really dull when it's just a group of guys talking. They just don't seem that clever. It's weird as I enjoy Rinella's writing and show.

Off topic, but something I've been enjoying lately is "SmartLess" with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett. In each episode, one of them surprises the other two with a mystery guest. These guys are funny and the episodes are under an hour so easy to digest.

I can't knock the success he has had, but I'm just not a Rinella fan. Seems to work the authentic angle but he comes off as unauthentic to me, as if it's a business first and purpose second. But most other people see it the other way around, so I'm probably off on my interpretation.

And, to make matters worse, I just bought a Meateater branded Weatherby. Go figure. LOL. Certainly not due to the branding. 

I'll be doing a podcast this week as a guest; second one for me. First on video. Nerve-wracking. I give those hosts/casters credit. It isn't easy.

meateater for me. I like the variety. There's only a few episodes I didn't finish where they were talking about wild horses and stuff. But I even really enjoy hearing about mountain lions and other species/lands that don't impact me directly. Helps when talking to an anti that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Please forgive me for being old and somewhat out of touch with all this new stuff.

But what is a Podcast?  A type of radio program that you need to pay for? 

Basically a radio talk show that is web-based. You download the episode to your phone, car, or listen on your computer. Many do topic specific shows, with guests/experts. Excellent way to pass the time as opposed to always listening to music, lol.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, left field said:

I enjoy the banter. I can see how one might not like that, but for me a bunch of a guys talking openly about hunting ethics or calling strategies is more appealing than a lecture style format.

17 minutes ago, phade said:

I can't knock the success he has had, but I'm just not a Rinella fan. Seems to work the authentic angle but he comes off as unauthentic to me, as if it's a business first and purpose second. But most other people see it the other way around, so I'm probably off on my interpretation.

And, to make matters worse, I just bought a Meateater branded Weatherby. Go figure. LOL. Certainly not due to the branding. 

I'll be doing a podcast this week as a guest; second one for me. First on video. Nerve-wracking. I give those hosts/casters credit. It isn't easy.

That's interesting. Of all the guys out there, he pushes products the least. Sure he still reps for vortex, first lite, shnees etc but on the podcast or show he doesn't shoot a nice elk and then get down on a knee and thank is Wetherbee and muck boots lol. He's a guy that started trapping as a kid in Michigan and now lives out west, but has lived in Alaska and new york. I think he brings an interesting view. One that isn't "whitetails or nothing else". 

I realize i now come across as leg humping, but his podcasts have inspired me to grow into other areas of the outdoors I might not have otherwise tried so I guess I'm thankful there. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, phade said:

I still like the show and I'm sure he's a decent enough guy, but sometimes success screws people up if for no other reason than there's a lot of pressure to always deliver.

What's the podcast? I did two hour long Catskills shows and found drinking before really helped.

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Please forgive me for being old and somewhat out of touch with all this new stuff.

But what is a Podcast?  A type of radio program that you need to pay for? 

Okay, boomer. Basically, it's just talk radio but streamed so you can listen at any time. 

Just click any of these links and you're off:

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

I enjoy the banter. I can see how one might not like that, but for me a bunch of a guys talking openly about hunting ethics or calling strategies is more appealing than a lecture style format.

I don't disagree but I think there's a difference between media professionals and random people when it comes to making off-the-cuff conversation fascinating. I found it tough to listen to at times.

Edited by left field

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

That's interesting. Of all the guys out there, he pushes products the least. Sure he still reps for vortex, first lite, shnees etc but on the podcast or show he doesn't shoot a nice elk and then get down on a knee and thank is Wetherbee and muck boots lol. He's a guy that started trapping as a kid in Michigan and now lives out west, but has lived in Alaska and new york. I think he brings an interesting view. One that isn't "whitetails or nothing else". 

I realize i now come across as leg humping, but his podcasts have inspired me to grow into other areas of the outdoors I might not have otherwise tried so I guess I'm thankful there. 

He's left handed and his Weatherby branded Vanguards don't even come in a left handed model. That, while small, is part of where I think the authentic part comes off weird sometimes. He makes it a point to be authentic but brands something that isn't available in his shooting style. I get people brand things and pump them, but might not use said product....but in his case, he pitches authenticity yet does what those who pump brands do. 

My interpretation isn't on the whitetail side of things, it's just that it comes off as not authentic. Like I said, I'm probably myopic in view here, but it just comes off wonky. Pair that with Kenyon's quality going downhill when Rinella bought him out...and it's just more convincing for me.

• Like 1