Ok what am I doing wrong

cynthiafu

Ok I will go back to b& b . So I played around all day with it . And moved around and only missed the target once .  But every time I was hitting  the neck .  Hubby says it will kill the deer lolll. He don't know .  But no matter where I stood I hit the neck even from up on the porch . 

15 hours ago, Steve D said:

Cynthia

If you are stand in the same place every time and ending up with those results I would say you need some assistance with your form. If you have an archery shop with a indoor range nearby I would go there....explain your problem and most archery shops will have someone there that can show you the correct technique. 

The most important things are to have a good anchor point, and clean release. I wouldn't worry about accuracy or adjusting pins until you get that down. It is hard for first time archers and some help from someone with experience is the best way to get started. There is so much to take into consideration before becoming proficient. You should make sure the bow is tuned, have a good technique, anchor point, a clean release, and a sight that works for you.

Find someone to get you started so you don't get frustrated in learning how to shoot. There are plenty here to help you but is pretty much a hands on situation.

Regardless of where you hit on the target you have to get a good group first. Once you are able to shoot good groups it will be time to adjust the sight.

I agree with everything Steve D has told you. Consistency and repetition is everything in archery. I would add, in case you're not aware, that an archery shot involves 7 steps. They are stance, nock, draw, anchor, aim, release and follow through. You should be mindful of each step for every shot until it becomes as natural as breathing.

Good luck. It'll come, be patient.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

cynthia is this a compound or crossbow? Regardless I think you need to move a few inches to the right and a few inches down. Shoot 3 more and repeat.

Are you telling her where the middle of the bag is or how to adjust the sight? That would have to go the opposite of right and down.

2 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Ok I will go back to b& b . So I played around all day with it . And moved around and only missed the target once .  But every time I was hitting  the neck .  Hubby says it will kill the deer lolll. He don't know .  But no matter where I stood I hit the neck even from up on the porch . 

Move the sight 3 hashes to the left and three hashes up and try it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Are you telling her where the middle of the bag is or how to adjust the sight? That would have to go the opposite of right and down.

that's why i was wondering if it's a scope or a bow site, but iirc it's the same... been a while. However if you're 4" to the left and it's 1/4" adjustment at 100 you'd make 16 clicks to the right or clockwise. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Assuming we're talking about a compound bow?

Probably how your using your release. If you're able to video yourself or have someone watch you, assuming your moving the release at the time you're letting the arrow fly. Nice soft, but firm squeeze on the release and not a hard or jerking motion.

Probably a stupid question & just out of curiosity, are you using your dominant eye? I know people that are right handed, but have a dominant left eye. Assuming you don't have this same problem with scopes or shotguns.

• Like 2

If you like we could meet up and shoot, I’m sure some of the other guys would like to as well. Blue mountain. Has a nice range and we can shoot out pretty far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I'm guessing it's mostly in your follow through and or not settling in on the target well. As soon as you pull the trigger you may be loosing your form, letting the tension in your holding arm pull the bow.. Try not holding on the target for as long . Less concentration more relaxation..lol

How hard are you holding the bow?
Don’t gorilla grip. If righty, don’t drop your left arm, stand tall & don’t rush the release - it should almost be a surprise when ya let her go. Good news - ya got 7 months to get ready. Viel Glück

On 3/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, nyslowhand said:

Probably a stupid question & just out of curiosity, are you using your dominant eye? I know people that are right handed, but have a dominant left eye. Assuming you don't have this same problem with scopes or shotguns.

this is me. I've read a lot of really compelling evidence that almost convinced me to buy a left handed bow. However, I wasn't ready to spend $2k and retrain 15 years worth of work, even if that is the recommended approach.

16 hours ago, UWShunter said:

How hard are you holding the bow?
Don’t gorilla grip. If righty, don’t drop your left arm, stand tall & don’t rush the release - it should almost be a surprise when ya let her go. Good news - ya got 7 months to get ready. Viel Glück

you really shouldn't even grip at all. Best advice I received was to practice without closing your fingers around the grip. Place the back of the grip right down the line that runs between your thumb and pointer, which puts your hand at an angle of sorts. I don't use one, but a lot use a wrist sling there to help with this behavior

15 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

IMHO you need to shoot a lot before you start worrying about moving pins. Move up close so there's no missing the bag and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. Meet up with some of these guys and they can make sure your form is good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The issue I see is that her groupings look good. So even if her form is off, her aiming point is true and seems site related. 

15 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

IMHO you need to shoot a lot before you start worrying about moving pins. Move up close so there's no missing the bag and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. Meet up with some of these guys and they can make sure your form is good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly

6 hours ago, Belo said:

The issue I see is that her groupings look good. So even if her form is off, her aiming point is true and seems site related. 

Believe she mentioned that no matter where she aimed, the arrow was still hitting the upper left of the target. JMO, not a sight pin adjustment fix.

I might also recommend you get the bag off the ground. Until you get your form and consistency down you want to eliminate all variables and shooting at any angle is a variable and it's unlikely but possible your peep alignment and eye focus is thrown off some. 

Practice flat footed, starting at 10 or 15 yards and shooting in calm and straight on conditions. You want to eliminate as much as you can when troubleshooting.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:57 PM, Belo said:

where are you? I've had both shots :)

I am in wallkill  just got first shot today . Fun fun  . I swore I wanted to be the last one to get  shot but with 11 people at my work that came down with covid in the last 4 days I decided I better . 2 are in the hoapital

Edited by cynthiafu
  • Sad 1