WTB a new fishing rod for stream trout

Otto

I am on the hunt for a new fishing rod for stream fishing for trout.  I am thinking around 6’ in length and UL with a fast action???  

Give me your ideas for the perfect stream rod for trout!  Specs and/or brands, etc, etc, etc, 

x2 on the Fenwick.  I like a 6.5 or 7 ft for trout fishing.  Esp the little brushy streams where your flipping baits in.  I think mine is a 4-10lb.  Def fast tip.  I hate a whippy rod with no backbone.  Need to be able to control the cast.  I hate ugly sticks for this reason, like fishing with a wet noodle.  

2.JPG

Well, so far 3 of my favorite brands: Fenwick, St Croix and G. Loomis.    I have a bunch of points to burn on Cabelas but the pickings are slim.    My favorite so far is a St Croix in 6’ UL and fast, my original specs.  But the thought of a longer rod is appealing too.  As usual, I will research this one to death before I pull the trigger, so keep the thoughts coming. 

@left field I do have a fly rod, but have yet to break it out on a stream.  I have used it for SM Bass off my boat.  I would need a lot of practice and humility to bring the fly rod out on Nine Mile Creek.   But it is on my to do list this season! 

28 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

x2 on the Fenwick.  I like a 6.5 or 7 ft for trout fishing.  Esp the little brushy streams where your flipping baits in.  I think mine is a 4-10lb.  Def fast tip.  I hate a whippy rod with no backbone.  Need to be able to control the cast.  I hate ugly sticks for this reason, like fishing with a wet noodle.  

2.JPG

you know what - I lied.  Lol Its actually a Bass pro brand.  I do have a Fenwick also for trout - its a 6'9" . But the BPS is my favorite.  Sorry too many Rods!  and so little time....

23 minutes ago, Otto said:

@left field I do have a fly rod, but have yet to break it out on a stream.  I have used it for SM Bass off my boat.  I would need a lot of practice and humility to bring the fly rod out on Nine Mile Creek.   But it is on my to do list this season! 

My mistake. I just default to fly.

The nice thing about a fly rod on a small creel is that you rarely need to false cast. It's more stream load and little flicks upstream.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

2.JPG

Ive hated Ugly Sticks since I was a little kid for that very reason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

My mistake. I just default to fly.

The nice thing about a fly rod on a small creel is that you rarely need to false cast. It's more stream load and little flicks upstream.

Good luck.

Fly fishing is an aspiration for me - someday!  

15 minutes ago, Otto said:

Fly fishing is an aspiration for me - someday!  

it was for me as well then it became a frustration.  lol 

I can fly fish a bit, have caught trout and bass and it is fun.  but most of the little streams ive always fished were so brushy it was more of a pain than fun.  Nowadays almost all my stream trout fishing is done with a tiny jig.   

Search is over - I bought a Bass Pro 6'8" Ultra light 1 piece rod with a fast action.  Hopefully it survives shipping.  It ended up being a default.  At 7:40 am this morning, the St Croix were showing available, now they show as sold out.  But the longest rod they had in stock at that time was 6' and I wanted a little bit longer rod for streams.  I can also use this for any other panfish fishing I may do off the boat.    

The smartest thing I ever did in my life was to get my wife a Cabelas credit card.  The points add up so quickly I can hardly keep up with her! 

Edited by Otto
  • Like 4