Biden Seeks Assault Weapons Ban and Background Checks

44 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Lol.  No worries.  I just don't think the sky is falling just because of 2A. Lots of other things worry me more about the country.  And are far more impending and far more overspreading .  I only jump in here for the political stuff on occasion. Cause as you said it gets ridiculous.  

That’s where I don’t agree ,we eliminate the constitution,we eliminate our freedoms .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

The government is banning guns because they are a threat to the government's monopoly on power and control, not because they give a crap about crime.

Prove that. 

There have been guns here for 200+ years. Currently, hundreds of millions. Show me where the "government" limits guns out of a fear about losing "power and control" instead of as a reaction (kneejerk or otherwise) to crime. The first gun control laws came about to curtail gangland violence in 1934.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

2A is about 23 on my actual list of concerns about the country and having a "home machine gun" to defend myself.  I will try to get by with the ones i have.   I worry more about bail reform for sure and mutiple other things including implementing green scores, devalue of the dollar, the border, the fact that our presidential choices suck, cyber attacks, etc etc....oh and etc....

Just one more thing I forgot to say . They are using fear!! not facts to chip away at 2A . and that playbook is being used for 1A   if you have no arms and no free speech  . They can take everything else from you and that's what they want no personal  freedoms only gov  that is the end game just like china.  They are doing it a little at a time so you don't notice. like that fence at the capital they did not take it down and its  not coming down , it becomes the new norm. 

Edited by phantom

9 minutes ago, left field said:

Prove that. 

There have been guns here for 200+ years. Currently, hundreds of millions. Show me where the "government" limits guns out of a fear about losing "power and control" instead of as a reaction (kneejerk or otherwise) to crime. The first gun control laws came about to curtail gangland violence in 1934.

Prove me wrong.

All gun control laws since 1968 have been to control the people.  The first were racist, aimed at keeping guns out of black hands during the 60's uprising and civil rights movement.  Most since have been to limit the firepower of the citizenry when it gets angry with the government.  The fact none of these laws ever curtails any crime is proof enough for any intelligent person.

And the govt is not having a knee jerk reaction to crime.  It is "never letting a good crises go to waste."

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, left field said:

Prove that. 

So politicians don't fear citizens?  really so why is there a big fence around the capital? This goes back over 3000 years most of history only the kings army could have weapons that is the norm and it was like that just so the leader, king, gov ruling class  could do as they please.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WNYTRPR said:

That’s where I don’t agree ,we eliminate the constitution,we eliminate our freedoms .

we actually do agree.  Big time! and completely on that statement!  I just dont see the imminant threat to them taking away guns and throwing out 2A that others do that think its looming any day now.  Thats all.  I just see the border and our national debt etc etc  as being bigger immediate issues.  Esp when we have a supreme court that is a bit more modified now with 3 new justices and a probable right swing in the senate in 2022.  But to each their own.  I just dont see the sky falling and see alot of fear mongering which is done on both sides of the aisle.   

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Just one more thing I forgot to say . They are using fear!! not facts to chip away at 2A . and that playbook is being used for 1A   if you have no arms and no free speech  . They can take everything else from you and that's what they want no personal  freedoms only gov  that is the end game just like china.  They are doing it a little at a time so you don't notice. like that fence at the capital they did not take it down and its  not coming down , it becomes the new norm. 

you used "they" to start 3 out of those 4 sentences.  Lol.  I am just not into the overall conspiracy on either side that you are. And by "they" i am guessing your talking about Pelosi and crew?? unless theres some other group your referring to.  I dont buy into that pelosi and crew are masterminds of some evil plot.  I dont agree with about everything they say or believe most any of it either but to say these folks are masterminding a secret plan is ridiculous. As ridiculous as how "they" refer to "them" on the other side. 

Again i hope you can tell i agree with protecting 2A - just review my other posts. You are gonna have to dig deep to find anything i said against the bill of rights. Its a long stretch for me to say that "i can understand how others think" to any of the statements you made above. We are far closer in agreement than we are in being opposites.  As i stated before a huge blind spot for so many republicans is not being able to see this and how others think.  But i dont see the sky falling at this point in time. And i dont see how one federal bill that passes the house, but wont pass the senate or get by the supreme court, on some matters of background checks that Ny already does, as the #1 thing to worry about at this time.  I think there are far other threats to be concerned about. To each their own carry on.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Prove me wrong.

All gun control laws since 1968 have been to control the people.  The first were racist, aimed at keeping guns out of black hands during the 60's uprising and civil rights movement.  Most since have been to limit the firepower of the citizenry when it gets angry with the government.  The fact none of these laws ever curtails any crime is proof enough for any intelligent person.

And the govt is not having a knee jerk reaction to crime.  It is "never letting a good crises go to waste."

ok I'll take a shot at it at least the part of gun laws being to limit citizens angry with the govt...lol 

As i stated above Govt is created and then is always added to and never subtracted.  So who formed this secret plan and group that has been carrying out this secret agenda for the last 50 years?  Its "they" isnt it?? 

what happens is people think they need to do better and therefore think more laws will solve the problem.  But things change and those laws dont cover everything and we need to do something to protect others, then the politicians enact another law on top of another law and end up regulating until govt is so top heavy it falls upon itself.  

Isnt this a reasonable explanation?  isnt this more accoms razor than a conspiracy that everyone outside of your party or platform is out to take down the constitution?  That some of these things are a philosophy you (and I remember) dont believe in but others do and they vote them in? Can it possibly be that grandmothers and mothers in big cities and guys that dont own guns and never will etc , and dont see the need for them want to do something to curb crime and shootings without fully understanding the impacts on their own rights under the constitution, that they never really learned in school.  That people that are ignorant and dont care about concerns of hunters or gun owners and see no need for someone to own a gun also get to vote and be heard even though they dont agree with you? 

Might all that be possible over "they" are trying to keep the people oppressed as a group that has been doing it in secret for 50+ years of mutiple different elected officials from mutiple states from Texas to Maine yet having never been exposed as a group for all this planning and keeping an intergenerational secret that everyone else doesnt see? 

Maybe it really is a huge plan that the elected officials in 1968 have been able to rig the election for 50 years and put in people they have mind warped and developed to do their bidding and keep the poeple at bay and their triumphant success is Joe Biden (?) (sorry i made mayself laugh) while keeping it hidden from everyone.  Or is it more likely that the culture has changed and the will of the people is changing as it has thru history?  I often look at times and dont recognize this country as what it used to be , but so does every generation past and so will every generation next and the people in the current always want to add to what they think is fixing the present?  

To say that laws never curtail any crime then are you saying there shouldnt be any laws?  Laws are intended to keep a rule of society that people elect officials to enact.  Its not a perfect system by any means but its what we have and to think that there is a "they" that has been organized and able to keep this grand plan of dissolving the constituiton is conspiracy theory and these theories being applied from both sides of the aisle is doing nothing but spreading this country further apart and isnt doing anyone any good. 

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

rob, trying to have a coherent conversation with stormy is a waste of your time man. just don't engage. 

lol too late ..... I will jump out of the politics section again soon.  I should know better i do this to myself.  But once in a while i like to dabble.  Until people get nasty which ALWAYS happens.  If people took the time to look at how others think and how much they actually agree on, wouldnt it be a wonderful world...lol 

that being said i like to read this section often until it gets ridiculous or mean or petty.  I have to say i have learned a few things here myself. But it gets ugly so often- as they say - religion and politics.  Never afraid of some different views until you get the great one sentence rebuttals.  Ive learned that smart people arent always in agreement. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

see alot of fear mongering

You may think the pro gun crowd is fear mongering but take it from someone who was around in 1968 and was around when AR rifles were banned once before, if you want to stick your head in the sand so be it but I can assure you there is no fear mongering! They have done it before and are trying hard to do it again and I take them at their word!

We do not have a gun law problem we have a gun law and "law period" enforcement problem, enforce the damned laws to a T lock the scumbag offenders up and throw away the key. One thing I can say for Biden he had the first crime law bill right and if anything it should have been strengthened! This country has gone off the rails when it comes to law enforcement!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

you used "they" to start 3 out of those 4 sentences.  Lol.  I am just not into the overall conspiracy on either side that you are. And by "they" i am guessing your talking about Pelosi and crew?? unless theres some other group your referring to.  I dont buy into that pelosi and crew are masterminds of some evil plot.  I dont agree with about everything they say or believe most any of it either but to say these folks are masterminding a secret plan is ridiculous. As ridiculous as how "they" refer to "them" on the other side. 

Again i hope you can tell i agree with protecting 2A - just review my other posts. You are gonna have to dig deep to find anything i said against the bill of rights. Its a long stretch for me to say that "i can understand how others think" to any of the statements you made above. We are far closer in agreement than we are in being opposites.  As i stated before a huge blind spot for so many republicans is not being able to see this and how others think.  But i dont see the sky falling at this point in time. And i dont see how one federal bill that passes the house, but wont pass the senate or get by the supreme court, on some matters of background checks that Ny already does, as the #1 thing to worry about at this time.  I think there are far other threats to be concerned about. To each their own carry on.....

Political class left mostly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, airedale said:

You may think the pro gun crowd is fear mongering but take it from someone who was around in 1968 and was around when AR rifles were banned once before, if you want to stick your head in the sand so be it but I can assure you there is no fear mongering! They have done it before and are trying hard to do it again and I take them at their word!

We do not have a gun law problem we have a gun law and "law period" enforcement problem, enforce the damned laws to a T lock the scumbag offenders up and throw away the key. One thing I can say for Biden he had the first crime law bill right and if anything it should have been strengthened! This country has gone off the rails when it comes to law enforcement!

Al

exactly my own point earlier.  One of the 23 things i am more worried about. A women in sysracuse was murdered and DA Fitzpatrick was on TV saying how the suspect "had been arrested May, June, July, August, August, August, September and then was released early for good behavior" a month later commited murder.  And there is nothing he could do about it.  makes me sick. 

and how you think i am sticking my head in the sand is beyond me.  I kinda give up trying to make a couple of people here understand i side with the standard of beliefs they have only difference is I dont see the conspiracy theories.  I would bet you and i vote down the same lines 9/10 times. I just dont buy into the organized "they" .  I beoive its for other culteral reasons that again i also dont believe in.  I hope that makes sense.  and if you dont see that both sides do the exact same fear mongering i only have my head in the sand looking to pull you out....

Edited by Robhuntandfish

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

and how you think i am sticking my head in the sand is beyond me.

Because the problem is not "GUNS" and Banning Guns, the problem is no enforcement of the many gun laws already on the books. Banning AR rifles will not do one thing when it comes to crime!

There were 20 illegal gun violations arrests in Syracuse recently all offenders were released and four of the same offenders were picked up for gun offenses again. The laws are a joke!

And as for me I will be harsh, it is so called sportsmen like you that are the problem going along with the Democrats!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Because the problem is not "GUNS" and Banning Guns, the problem is no enforcement of the many gun laws already on the books. Banning AR rifles will not do one thing when it comes to crime!

There were 20 illegal gun violations arrests in Syracuse recently all offenders were released and four of the same offenders were picked up for gun offenses again. The laws are a joke!

And as for me I will be harsh, it is so called sportsmen like you that are the problem going along with the Democrats!

Al

I gotta think your just not reading what I wrote. But that's ok. 

Exactly where did I go along with the Democrats....maybe you could point that out. Since I've voted all libratarian or conservative , I can't think of a Dem I've voted for in years, I've been an NRA member, I'm pro bill of rights and constitution. So where exactly is it that I am going along with Democrats and I am the problem.....  Because I don't believe in wild conspiracy theory? Or just because I don't agree with you? 

I don't think your the problem and I am sure we vote pretty much the same line.  As a matter of fact I prob vote more than you do on the libratarian line of less laws.  Where you prob stay more on the Republican line I'm guessing. 

So enlighten me on what problem I am part of?  That I get the other sides argument while not agreeing with it?  If you've read my posts I have well stated I am not for banning anything including guns.  

What I have stated is that so many Republicans have a blind spot that they can't or won't try to understand where others are coming from and how they see it.  Which you seem to be knee deep in that category. Which is also a weakness of the party to not understand the thoughts they have behind their theory's.  Which once again I don't support either.  

7 hours ago, Belo said:

My liberal anti-gun guys are still telling me that he's not taking my guns and I should relax.

At this point I am not to concerned about them taking them as much as regulating things more than they need to be. This country is famous for regulating everything beyond the point of being ridiculous and they just want to regulate more. 

The regulations in place are not working so instead of regulating more why not try a different approach.

• Like 3

Just to play devil's advocate, and please understand, I am really torn about the idea of carrying. The point that comes to my mind is: 
If a "bad guy" enters an establishment with a firearm intending to kill/injure, and we have lets say 6 people in said establishment who are carrying, and intend to stop said "bad guy". These folks who are looking to stop the shooting are looking for an individual with a gun, not realizing that there are 6x as many "good guys" with weapons drawn, as there is the one "bad guy". Lets say there is a friendly fire incident, one of the good guys come around a corner, sees another person with a gun, and they fire. Additionally, when the police show up, they are looking for someone with a gun, if they come around a corner and someone has a gun, is it justifiable to use lethal force, even if that person is a "good guy". This is just a scenario that plays out when I think about this.
Now, I'm not trained in concealed carry, so there may be intensive training in recognizing a threat that covers this. I'm not looking for an argument here, not at all. If someone can kind of guide my thinking, I would really appreciate the insight. Honestly, thoughts like this, are just one of the reasons that I doubt I will ever CC. 
I'm not saying that the other side of that coin "a good guy with a gun could have stopped this" isn't valid, I totally see that too. Again, not saying any side is wrong.

You bring up some great points. I’ll start by saying that carrying a weapon daily is a very personal choice. It’s not for everyone and shouldn’t be taken lightly. If you’re going to carry concealed I can’t recommend getting formal training enough! Good training isn’t cheap but is worth every penny.

I’m certified to teach multiple nra pistol courses as well as concealed carry classes in a few states. I also did 4 combat deployments as an infantryman. I carry all day everyday except at work. Although I’ve never been in a mass shooting scenario I feel I have a pretty good guess as to how I will react.

Personally I’m not a hero and have no plans on ever being one. I carry for me and mine’s safety not for anyone else’s. If I’m ever in such a scenario I’m getting the hell out of dodge. That will not always be possible and if I need to I will defend myself but only if I’m/mine are in immediate danger. I will never go looking for bad guy/guys “if everyone involved that was carrying had this mindset other armed citizens as well as the police would have nothing to worry about as far as friendly fire.”

If others cared about their lives and the lives of their families the way I do they would also have the training and the means of protecting themselves that’s not my problem or responsibility to protect them.

Onto the identifying bad guy bit proper training will help. There is identifiers for bad guys, as well as simple control and staying calm will help as well. Shoot no shoot drills carry over very well in the real world. This type of training has gotten very good real world feedback in the last 15 years do to the current conflicts our military is in where we are fighting enemies that don’t wear a uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I gotta think your just not reading what I wrote. But that's ok. 

Exactly where did I go along with the Democrats....maybe you could point that out. Since I've voted all libratarian or conservative , I can't think of a Dem I've voted for in years, I've been an NRA member, I'm pro bill of rights and constitution. So where exactly is it that I am going along with Democrats and I am the problem.....  Because I don't believe in wild conspiracy theory? Or just because I don't agree with you? 

I don't think your the problem and I am sure we vote pretty much the same line.  As a matter of fact I prob vote more than you do on the libratarian line of less laws.  Where you prob stay more on the Republican line I'm guessing. 

So enlighten me on what problem I am part of?  That I get the other sides argument while not agreeing with it?  If you've read my posts I have well stated I am not for banning anything including guns.  

What I have stated is that so many Republicans have a blind spot that they can't or won't try to understand where others are coming from and how they see it.  Which you seem to be knee deep in that category. Which is also a weakness of the party to not understand the thoughts they have behind their theory's.  Which once again I don't support either.  

You tell me what  gun law would have  stopped  that guy? or are you saying we should just make up bs laws just to make believe we did something ? what conspiracy theory are you talking about? The dems have people believing that you don't  need a background check to buy a gun .