New turkey boom stick

Buckmaster7600

Walked in a lgs and for couple thousand pistol primers he had for me and this was on the shelf. I held it and bought it. It’s a mossberg sa-20 turkey, 20ga 22” barrel. This makes my 4th semi 20ga turkey gun with number 5 on the way. I’ll have to wait until some chokes get here to test her out but shot 25 clays in the yard and it cycled perfect. It’s got a pretty nice trigger. Weighs 5lbs 3oz on my scale, that’s what sold me on it. 3f67f06a9ce61b272f74ec24d1577939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 19

35 minutes ago, mowin said:

I really want a auto 20g turkey gun. Congrats on number 5.  

I don't know what chokes are available for them but a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro should be about perfect in the lightweight, ultra-reliable department.

I have one in the 26" barrel version that I'll never part with and although I only really used it for mourning doves in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a gobbler.

• Like 1

That's one thing I don't have that's semi-auto ...a shotgun. I always thought the ultimate turkey gun would be a 20ga o/u with a more open choke for the first send and then a more long range choke for a follow up if needed. Plus it loads much quieter. I've always made my pump shotguns work turkey hunting and their definitely reliable but they can be noisy if you're not used to them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

6c11be470c1b7fb5a3284d7bdbb8cf57.jpg

Test day! I have 2 chokes to try, the factory choke and a Carlson full that I used on my franchi. I really hope I can get it to pattern a nice open 25yd pattern with the 3rd degree or the tss 7’s. I didn’t realize I had 5 boxes of each still. They pattern way to tight in all my other 20’s.

• Like 3

3df8fb404c0ac974bcdcf14bfb4d441b.jpg
I did some more patterning again today and it definitely warranted an optic. I had this vortex crossfire laying around, I never liked it on any of my other guns because it sits too high but with the supplied shims it works perfectly on this gun. It’s shooting some awesome patterns but the wind picked up before I could really dial it in. So far I think it will be shooting the new heavy weight 7’s by Boss, it’s the same load as my all time favorite but discontinued federal heavyweight. If the wind dies down tomorrow I’ll post a picture of the pattern. If this works as well as it’s looking I’ll buy a case from boss and won’t have to worry about them discontinuing it like federal did.

• Like 4

My SX3 has killed everything with wings just fine for me. Looks like a handy, light little gun though. I would never buy a dedicated turkey gun, even if I hunted them every day I don't think. Maybe I'm just not that into shotguns to want a bunch of them, now rifles/pistols on the other hand...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

For a 25 yrd even pattern Im guessing the factory choke will warrant your best outcome?  7s or 6s would send a wall no bird would pass at that range. lol. Complete hammers 

The factory choke left some big holes in the pattern that I was happy with. I got a couple new chokes delivered this week. If the wind ever stops blowing I’ll give them a try!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The factory choke left some big holes in the pattern that I was happy with. I got a couple new chokes delivered this week. If the wind ever stops blowing I’ll give them a try!

Dang. Same here. Looking to sight mine in if we get warmer calm dry weather. Just found 2 youth hunters to take out. Would like to get this 28 dialed in .. I have the Factory Full, Indian Creek and a Carlsons to test out for it

• Like 1

Don’t care about anything further than 25 because I won’t shoot that far. Have you ever shot a turkey load at 5 yds? I’ve yet to see a pattern that’s bigger than a base ball.

I have seen them bigger with proper choke tube yes. If you can hold yourself to that is fine, but if not you owe it to the turkey to check it. I do not shoot over 35-40 myself and would prefer under that to be honest.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Dang. Same here. Looking to sight mine in if we get warmer calm dry weather. Just found 2 youth hunters to take out. Would like to get this 28 dialed in .. I have the Factory Full, Indian Creek and a Carlsons to test out for it
I picked up an Indian creek last year that's pretty tight. Worried to use it even with a red dot. No reason I need to almost lop the head off a turkey. Something more open with 100 or so pellets in the head and neck is fine like my PureGold is fine. Im not using TSS like you either. That stuff is nasty on birds. lol it's almost crazy to think people sent #4 lead a factory from a flush full with a basic front bead to get it there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got the call from the shop that the new Rossi Tuffy were back in stock. They held one for me so I swung in and grabbed it. Put a red dot on top and got a choke coming for it.. this will be for the youth hunters .. hope to make it a 40-50 yard killer

IMG_4939.jpg
  • Like 1