What load for moose?

Grizz1219

The 460 No Excuses is a great projectile. I couldn't imagine a better bullet for moose.

If I could post pictures I would show you one that was taken from under the off side hide of a 6x6 bull elk...It is a PERFECT mushroom.

They also load very easily and are very accurate in my old T/C Hawken.

Edited by Pygmy

Yes, they are lead. I have never had any issues with leading, but then I don't try to push them real fast either. I shoot 80 grains of loose 3F Triple Seven.

Sighted dead on at 100 it is 2 inches high at 50. Never shot it much past 100 but I imagine it would shoot MOM ( minute of moose) out to 150 or so.

Some TC's with QLA will not shoot conicals that great.It will depend if the QLA itself is concentric to the bore...My X7 will shoot them awsome , guess I am a lucky one.

The speer deep curl is a bonded bullet, the 300gr .452 will do just fine as would a .452 300gr XTP .All in a crush rib sabot I would pick.

Hornady's 350gr FPB would be another bullet I would use.Lots like the Thor line but they can be very hard to load in a TC. I had a bear of a time in mine.

Wish I was going.

JHaven't gotten down to Cabelas yet to look at what I can try... I live in Mass. so no one will ship stuff to my house... Right now worknig on the 180 grain load for my 30-06 to take to Africa... but this load is next on my hit list... I'll start with T/C and Hornady 300 grainers though, and go from there...

• 4 weeks later...

I've shot all my BP moose with only two different muzzleloaders of mine, 50 cal was a .490 Rb 0.005 patch with wonder lube, 70 grains 2F 32 " 1:66 barrel flinter, longest shot was in 2004 on a cow at 90 yards,

the other go to flinter is a 62 cal fowler that I used .597" home rolled RB in WW ratio, patched with 0.005 ticking over a 80 grain 3F load with cushion wad and OP card, topped with a OS card split in half. But I body shoot with that load and flinter.

I've used that on a couple buffalo with good success out to 75 yards too

My buddy went to Maine a two years ago. He anchored his moose with a 300 Barnes Expander in 150 grs of 777. He said the bull was 45 yards away the round entered just behind its shoulder and a little hight. The mosse went about 100 yards across a bogg and piled up on the distant bank.