poplar trees - too late to cut?

1 hour ago, left field said:

I was told that you need to drop them when they're dormant so the root system will send up new shoots. 

Ok, that makes sense.  Really don't know about the new shoots.  If they don't sprout, wouldn't the new underbrush do the same?  Is there something you could plant to help? 

Ive clean cut poplar when creating my bedding area last year in april. They never took to new growth at all after cut at the base. If theyre big like mine and I can do it over again, I wouldnt have dropped as many large ones as I did off the bat, I would have dropped half or so and either girdled or hack and squirt the rest. By terminating those giant popel, really shot up some great regen for the understory.

I went back in recently and cut more escape routes and out of some pockets and will def do the trick. To answer your question it is not too late to cut those trees. 

15 minutes ago, Geno C said:

Ive clean cut poplar when creating my bedding area last year in april. They never took to new growth at all after cut at the base. If theyre big like mine and I can do it over again, I wouldnt have dropped as many large ones as I did off the bat, I would have dropped half or so and either girdled or hack and squirt the rest. By terminating those giant popel, really shot up some great regen for the understory.

I went back in recently and cut more escape routes and out of some pockets and will def do the trick. To answer your question it is not too late to cut those trees. 

I have about 7 acres that is full of Poplar and pine trees. The pine trees have mostly died out because of the real big poplar trees. This acreage is a mess because of a lot of fallen trees. Deer love to bed in it. I was thinking of cutting them all down and letting that area start over. Geno you would leave some up?

35 minutes ago, Geno C said:

Clarification -

"They never took to new growth at all after cut at the base." Do you mean you saw no regrowth on the trunk if you cut low enough?

"By terminating those giant popel, really shot up some great regen for the understory." But you saw a lot of suckers shooting up nearby? That's what I'm after. Dropping six to start new growth. Leaving six mature to feed grouse.

I have about 7 acres that is full of Poplar and pine trees. The pine trees have mostly died out because of the real big poplar trees. This acreage is a mess because of a lot of fallen trees. Deer love to bed in it. I was thinking of cutting them all down and letting that area start over. Geno you would leave some up?
I would leave some standing for sure.. by falling so many, it will become a mess, especially if they're big trees.
Stump cut many but you can also hack a squirt to terminate the others to reduce the canopy and stimulate the under story.

Once you stump cut those popel, it does promote lateral root regen, you typically won't see the stumps grow but that lateral regen will pop! Deer love it, good quality browse and great cover.

I went back in last week and clean more exit paths in and out in the hinge area of popular, thats key. Deer won't bed in there much if it isn't safe to do so , so keep that in mind. I have some great regen occurring in my popular cut area

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Clarification -
"They never took to new growth at all after cut at the base." Do you mean you saw no regrowth on the trunk if you cut low enough?
"By terminating those giant popel, really shot up some great regen for the understory." But you saw a lot of suckers shooting up nearby? That's what I'm after. Dropping six to start new growth. Leaving six mature to feed grouse.

Typically if it's a mature popular, no, you wont see much regrowth at the cut if any at all. You should see some lateral root regen from that cut, which is better !

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

left field- one more thing to think about. If possible, you should leave clones of male aspen. these can be identified by there more robust buds and flowering habit. Goggle the images to  tell the  differences. easy to spot this time of year since they are coming into flower. Why do this? Because  the  larger, succulent  male buds are a important overwintering food for grouse.