Looking at a house with a 500 ft long gravel driveway

luberhill

Our driveway is 800 feet and was gravel up until 5 years ago (have lived here 14 years)...  

a gravel driveway is a constant WIP..   some of it has to do with drainage and what your soils is like (ours is pretty flat and very sandy soil)..  we spent a lot of money over the years on stone and then had got a good deal on having it paved (we got the 800 feet and a decent sized parking area by our barn done for $27k 5 years ago)..   

I will just say that life is a lot easier for us now that it is paved (although I don’t like the $1200 sealing bill every other year)..

not sure if this helps you or not but just sharing our perspective..

11 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Our driveway is 800 feet and was gravel up until 5 years ago (have lived here 14 years)...  

a gravel driveway is a constant WIP..   some of it has to do with drainage and what your soils is like (ours is pretty flat and very sandy soil)..  we spent a lot of money over the years on stone and then had got a good deal on having it paved (we got the 800 feet and a decent sized parking area by our barn done for $27k 5 years ago)..   

I will just say that life is a lot easier for us now that it is paved (although I don’t like the $1200 sealing bill every other year)..

not sure if this helps you or not but just sharing our perspective..

Yea I know it’s going be work and expensive to blacktop 

They want 450 for the house and 45 acres ..

It has oil heat which I don’t like , no ac ,I like the land but don’t know if I want to sink 500k after everything into a house 

Probably better off waiting for some thing else

Is it loose gravel or packed? Mine is (not 500') packed gravel. I have a snow blower on the tractor. I just tilt it back until there is a good base. A $2500 snow blower is $25K less than paving. To me the issue would be how much of a slope is on the driveway. Plowed or blown you will probably end up with packed snow that will turn to ice. Not fun driving on then!

Mine is 700 from the road to my shop. All uphill, the first 150' is the steepest.  I had a spreader for my 3pt hitch on my tractor,  but its a open station, and I hated it. 

I've got my own plow on my truck. Bought a used buyers saltdog TGS07 this fall and love it.  I've run straight wet sand through it, but it will clog even with the vibrator on. Works great with a 50/50 salt sand mix.

My nephews has a tri axle dump, so I get crusher run for cast plus fuel.  Going to fabric my drive, and put 4" of crusher on top. But I need to cut the edges down so the drive is higher than the sides. 

41 minutes ago, mowin said:

Mine is 700 from the road to my shop. All uphill, the first 150' is the steepest.  I had a spreader for my 3pt hitch on my tractor,  but its a open station, and I hated it. 

I've got my own plow on my truck. Bought a used buyers saltdog TGS07 this fall and love it.  I've run straight wet sand through it, but it will clog even with the vibrator on. Works great with a 50/50 salt sand mix.

My nephews has a tri axle dump, so I get crusher run for cast plus fuel.  Going to fabric my drive, and put 4" of crusher on top. But I need to cut the edges down so the drive is higher than the sides. 

Do u buy bags ?

13 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Do u buy bags ?

I bought a pallet of salt. Nephew has pile of sand for a few private roads he sands. I put two bags of salt in the spreader, than shovel some sand and mix it as I add more sand. I might add another bag of salt if needed.  Got lazy last couple of storms, and filled the hopper with wet sand from his pile. Was a PITA trying to find unfrozen sand, lol.  It worked with the sand, but I kept getting the jamed error code even with the vibrator on constantly. I Would have to spin the spreader plate by hand to get it freed up. 

I think it would work great with bagged sand, as long as its kept dry. 

Edited by mowin

10 hours ago, mowin said:

I bought a pallet of salt. Nephew has pile of sand for a few private roads he sands. I put two bags of salt in the spreader, than shovel some sand and mix it as I add more sand. I might add another bag of salt if needed.  Got lazy last couple of storms, and filled the hopper with wet sand from his pile. Was a PITA trying to find unfrozen sand, lol.  It worked with the sand, but I kept getting the jamed error code even with the vibrator on constantly. I Would have to spin the spreader plate by hand to get it freed up. 

I think it would work great with bagged sand, as long as its kept dry. 

Where do u buy pallets of salt 

A friend of mine has a fairly big gravel driveway. After buying stone every spring for years a couple years ago he bought what i believe are called millings. I would have to find out where he got them. Its what they tear up from roads and driveways. It ends up packing together and becomes almost like a paved driveway with the heat of the summer an it being driven on. Obviously not nice like a pave job but it has bound together nicely and he hasn't messed with since. I have no idea what the cost was, i am sure it is more than stone but he thinks it was well worth it....

26 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

After buying stone every spring for years a couple years ago he bought what i believe are called millings.

Millings are a great choice but very hard to come by unless you know someone or work for a highway dept.:o

Millings are a great choice but very hard to come by unless you know someone or work for a highway dept.
Give the highway department a call....they are always looks for a place to dump. You may have to pay a fuel fee....but way cheaper than getting stone delivered.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine is 690 ft long, I plow it . The key is plow it before you drive on it with out using skid plates bottom of plow.  and buy a York rake to bring stone back into it in spring.  27 years and only issue I had was on year it was  driven on multiple  times and packed so it turns to ice. Did that one year.. never again. I  simply get up and plow when it needs to be.  

Edited by G-Man

3 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I’m upstate between Syracuse and Rochester 

I was asking Chef.  His post mentioned he sells pallets of salt.  But depending on where he is it wouldn't be cost effective.