Power outage

Steuben Jerry

Lost power here at noon today. I got home from work a little while ago and got the generator going. That is the time when I say every power failure that I really have to get a damn transfer switch installed. I just run a few extension cords to the important stuff. You know, satellite tv and WiFi, lol. Wife has been working from home and had to knock off at noon on a Friday - bummer, eh?

It’s been out for 8 hrs now, that’s a long time for a localized outage. Oh well, we’ll make it fun and get the wood stove going if it gets too chilly. Fridge is plugged in and the beer is cold!

• Like 6

If you have a electric dryer just back feed the circuit after shutting off the main breaker. I have a outside plug with the lock out but back feeding works better as I can run the generator in the garage. Which is what I did today. I just bought a take out propane/ng stand by unit I have to get figured out and installed. That’s if it’s good but a clean looking generac 15 k unit for $250 was worth the gamble.

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Lost power here at noon today. I got home from work a little while ago and got the generator going. That is the time when I say every power failure that I really have to get a damn transfer switch installed. I just run a few extension cords to the important stuff. You know, satellite tv and WiFi, lol. Wife has been working from home and had to knock off at noon on a Friday - bummer, eh?

It’s been out for 8 hrs now, that’s a long time for a localized outage. Oh well, we’ll make it fun and get the wood stove going if it gets too chilly. Fridge is plugged in and the beer is cold!

Well that sucks   we have electric down here. If you need anything don’t hesitate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

If you have a electric dryer just back feed the circuit after shutting off the main breaker. I have a outside plug with the lock out but back feeding works better as I can run the generator in the garage. Which is what I did today. I just bought a take out propane/ng stand by unit I have to get figured out and installed. That’s if it’s good but a clean looking generac 15 k unit for $250 was worth the gamble.

Don't the power grid folks frown on back feeding?????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That’s why I said after shutting of main , it’s the same thing with out the idiot proof lockout back feeding 220 into sub box, but I can keep the generator and myself dry in the garage with the door open.

1 minute ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

That’s why I said after shutting of main , it’s the same thing with out the idiot proof lockout back feeding 220 into sub box, but I can keep the generator and myself dry in the garage with the door open.

Detached garage, right?

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Detached garage, right?

No attached garage exhaust pointed out the garage door, my detached garage has a separate main breaker and panel off the meter. Not saying any of this is the best way to do it but I believe it is safer than running extension cords all over the house. But back feeding 220 into dryer outlet is the same as back feeding 220 into 220 outlet on back side of house, besides outlet on back side is wired in for idiot proof lockout.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Nice knowing ya.....

Why carbon monoxide? I feel safe with the whole house being covered in hard wired smoke/carbon monoxide detectors Not trying to cause any problems but I don’t see what the big deal is again not saying this is the right best way but running extension cords all over seems more of a hazard to me. 

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 1

So glad the house we bought 7 years ago came with a whole home generator. We actually lost power yesterday due to a car accident taking out a power pole. House went dark for 10 seconds until the generator kicked itself on and ran for 5.5 hours until they installed a new pole and got the power back on and running. The generator kicked itself off as soon as it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Why carbon monoxide? I feel safe with the whole house being covered in hard wired smoke/carbon monoxide detectors Not trying to cause any problems but I don’t see what the big deal is again not saying this is the right best way but running extension cords all over seems more of a hazard to me. 

Oh hell, what could go wrong?!?!??

Seriously, good luck with your setup but be careful!!

Power came on overnight as expected, never got too cold. I put some laundry in a little while ago and I must have had a surge take out the heating element in the dryer. It worked fine yesterday. It’s maybe 6-7 yrs old so off to buy a dryer later today. If I was going to spend $600+ on something today I would have rather squandered it on a new gun!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

No attached garage exhaust pointed out the garage door, my detached garage has a separate main breaker and panel off the meter. Not saying any of this is the best way to do it but I believe it is safer than running extension cords all over the house. But back feeding 220 into dryer outlet is the same as back feeding 220 into 220 outlet on back side of house, besides outlet on back side is wired in for idiot proof lockout.

Electrical inspection approval required plus utility notification necessary.  Doubtful that your set-up would fly. Go through the proper steps so as to avoid getting some utility worker killed. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Electrical inspection approval required plus utility notification necessary.  Doubtful that your set-up would fly. Go through the proper steps so as to avoid getting some utility worker killed. 

Generator lockout for the main was installed in 2007 when house was built and inspected and again in 2018 when I bought the house. Now back feeding through the dryer plug was not but does the exact same thing. Just have to make sure you shut the main off to not harm the lineman which is what the lockout does which I still use but I back feed the dryer 220 receptacle not the generator 220 receptacle.

20 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yes , and running a generator in an attached garage is known to Kill folks as well . As we said on the job, “ job security ! “ 

One of the troubles with his system is someone coming home and flipping ,the main back on . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Yes , and running a generator in an attached garage is known to Kill folks as well . As we said on the job, “ job security ! “ 

One of the troubles with his system is someone coming home and flipping ,the main back on . 

As a fireman do you recommend running extension cords all over the place over using the lockout? I know the attached garage is not the best but with the 1 1/2 bay door open and the two windows I do not get any carbon monoxide buildup, verified with my PAM I brought home from work also the whole house is hard wired monitored.