Shotgun slugs

rachunter

My first try at reloading shotgun slugs. I had everything but the slugs so when I placed an order at B.P.I I added a pack of there dgs thunderbolts 13/8oz in 12ga. This is also my first time using a roll crimper(thanks let em grow) it took me a few tries and I still think I pressed to hard.

I’m going to head up to my house soon and give them a shot with this shortage going on I’m looking at all my options.

Again a special thanks to @let em grow

e7f200c6c7e4fb3ce20fbbd57c738545.jpg

4a7a13c3a17ab3e2c9ce2294721acd21.jpg

ad20ec1ab01cccf8e8f7ea67d24ef1dd.jpg

a069da980946a3206c6ecda04d6852ad.jpg

I might leave out the over shot card next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

3 hours ago, silent death said:

Check out bubba round tree outdoors on you tube he has awesome load work ups on making slugs and stuff like this 

ya i've been watching Wade's videos for a few year.He uses a lot of herco,800 and longshot powder none of which i can get my hands on.He finally stepped up to a drill press roll crimper,even though the hand crank one he has works.lol

• Like 1

not sure how the roll crimper he made is set up but something you may want to try is a q-tip with a dab of WD-40 and run on the outside of the hull just prior to crimping. It really makes it a nice smooth roll. 

I had a little trouble lining it up on the drill press, but that was about it. I definitely try the Wd-40. I think I was pressing to hard.
fb87acaab32a0fc5cba58422f41599d7.jpg
3cf09e539bcef1587d4192a245cb1108.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, phade said:

You should see the things Bryan messages me that he makes....LOL.

Nice start, you'll get that process down in no time.

That angle cut in the slug...is that keying the slug to a barrel for rifling?

I can image the things a tool/die maker can do.I took a course when i was in my twenties but couldn't get passed the math.It's a skill and an art.

The cut is supposed to stabilize the slug in flight.I wanted the 1oz Thug slugs,but these where the only ones in stock.I never seen a need for a 3" slug, 23/4" 1oz slugs always knocked them down just fine.