How to tell Bucks from Does on cam in the spring

So , went out and checked my cams yesterday — got a bunch of pics of deer passin thru but I can’t tell if any are bucks . How do you tell them apart this time of year when they’re walking past perpendicular to your cam ? I would think maybe body size to a certain extent but I’ve seen some awful big does over the years too , so how can you tell ?

A buck has a larger thicker head and neck and the neck is shorter. A doe will have a thinner neck, and usually the face comes to a bit more of a point. A does body is somewhat more rectangular then a buck, a buck being a bit more stout and boxy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

So , went out and checked my cams yesterday — got a bunch of pics of deer passin thru but I can’t tell if any are bucks . How do you tell them apart this time of year when they’re walking past perpendicular to your cam ? I would think maybe body size to a certain extent but I’ve seen some awful big does over the years too , so how can you tell ?

They are starting to grow now. But most times the head alone will show a buck every time. Yearling bucks may sometimes have doe shaped heads but most times the blocky head give the bucks away every time. 

• Like 1

Well in the old days you would look under its dress and if there were balls it was a buck no balls a doe. But today just because it has balls and a dick, that buck may identify as a doe or may be TRAN’s. so, I would ask (ax) so you don’t get canceled.

One thing I wonder if a buck identifies as a doe can I use my doe tag on it. :bad: