Big Tex Trailers.

Bionic

I am in the market for a 7x16 tandem axle utility trailer.  I have ran a 4x7 Carry-On Tractor supply trailer since I bought it new in 2012, probably have 10-12k miles on it, zero issues, but I also never carried anything too heavy on it until a few years ago, and it fit into my basement.   The new trailer will need to be stored outdoors, until I build a garage, or some sort of shelter.  

I like the CAM Superline brand in the same size due to its powdercoated finish, and angular diamond plate fenders since those fenders are much stronger than rounded fenders.  I have experience with utility trailers at work, but I do not have experience with Big Tex brand.  I am not even sure the brand really matters.  I know they have factory direct options out there as well amongst all sorts of brands, but not sure if trailers are generally rebranded, or not.  Looking to haul about 1500-2,000 lbs generally.  I am familiar with specs, etc, but curious as far as brands go.  If you guys can provide experience, I’d appreciate it.

3E61D874-9F95-4D10-824B-85CCDC443ABA.jpeg

B7BCE631-4FCC-46D6-B129-E8A3E1D69371.jpeg

Edited by Bionic

The farm I sometimes work for has a Big Tex 5th wheel trailer.  They have had it for at least 15+ years.  I think it's a 24 footer, so not at all the same size.  I can say that it has done everything they have asked of it.  They were hauling scrap to the junkyard with it when I left today.  We have used it to haul cars, trucks, tractors, hay, logs etc.  The only thing they have replaced that I am aware of is lights/wiring and tires.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a trailer from Big Tex.

• Thanks 1

I'm not aware of anything negative regarding them, I have a Bri-Mar heavy duty dual axel dump and a single axel land scape trailer that have been used regularly.

I would recommend them and I have a great dealer that stocks parts near me; good luck and happy hauling.... I'm not sure of the Big Tex components but believe there assembled in Texas (obvious I know) and Georgia...

Edited by Salmon_Run
correction
  • Thanks 1

My gooseneck and dump trailer are both big Tex. They’ve both been excellent trailers! The couple issues I’ve had were minor and parts were easy to get.

If I was buying a utility trailer it would be aluminum, next year I’m planning on getting a new dump trailer and it will be aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I've got the same trailer(big tex). Its a 2011. The only thing thats weak is the gate.  But I use mine daily from spring to fall.  Rebuilt  my gate 4 yrs ago. It's so frigging heavy now I had to get a set a gorilla lifts. 

Edited by mowin
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

My gooseneck and dump trailer are both big Tex. They’ve both been excellent trailers! The couple issues I’ve had were minor and parts were easy to get.

If I was buying a utility trailer it would be aluminum, next year I’m planning on getting a new dump trailer and it will be aluminum.

Had a aluminum landscape trailer before this one. Welds constantly breaking.  Expensive to repair.   I'd go galvanized 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Thank you, i am glad to hear that.  I have been considering aluminum to be honest, but at that point I would pop for an enclosed.  Speaking of aluminum, we have an Aluma brand at work for a few years now, idiots have overloaded it, etc, been flawless.

• Like 1

Thank you, i am glad to hear that.  I have been considering aluminum to be honest, but at that point I would pop for an enclosed.  Speaking of aluminum, we have an Aluma brand at work for a few years now, idiots have overloaded it, etc, been flawless.

There are people that use trailers way more than me, and are much harder on them. For what I’m looking for aluminum is almost double the price of steel but my current dump trailer is starting to rot. It’s a 2012, that gets 90% of its use in the winter. It still has a lot of life left in it and still has some resale left in it’s current shape. I hope and from my research I should get more than double the life out of an aluminum unit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've got the same trailer(big tex). Its a 2011. The only thing thats weak is the gate.  But I use mine daily from spring to fall.  Rebuilt  my gate 4 yrs ago. It's so frigging heavy now I had to get a set a gorilla lifts. 

Thanks Mow, hey does that gate have a torsion type spring inside the gate? If so is that snapped? Or is it heavy from beefing it up? I am a Foreman for a Parks Dept, so we are in similar business, we had gates like this, you dread using the trailer because the gate is so heavy.   Thanks for your input, I appreciate it

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

There are people that use trailers way more than me, and are much harder on them. For what I’m looking for aluminum is almost double the price of steel but my current dump trailer is starting to rot. It’s a 2012, that gets 90% of its use in the winter. It still has a lot of life left in it and still has some resale left in it’s current shape. I hope and from my research I should get more than double the life out of an aluminum unit.

I would want to go aluminum dump in your case too,  I don’t mean to say the obvious, but I would just always try to load clean dirt prior to any good rocks if hauling material you dug up.  I feel like the floor could puncture, and sink in between the floor supports easier with aluminum.  That would be really more of my concern, but I always just try to take care of my stuff as best I can.  

My dad has a dump trailer he bought new in 09, he goes over it i think each spring, and touches up spots that start to rust, then brushes on thick paint. Winter up by you are far worse though, but he’s s been ok so far, but he too is considering selling while its still worth something.  We both STILL can’t believe how much he uses that thing!

my trailer is for a UTV primarily, and ATV, so the majority of its use will be in nice weather.  I also will have it stored on stone, not in grass or over dirt.  Like i said still not completely set on what to do.  Like everything else, trailers are selling fast too.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

I have a couple PJ's,dump and split deckboth good trailers.First dump I bought was a Cam,bought it because it was supposed to be top of the line.Two years paint was falling off in chunks,dealer told me its a dump trailer,what do you expect,manufacture's answer was they sent me two cans of paint,was never happy with it.PJ dump trailer I bought in 11,dont use it in the winter,other than some small rust spots its still in good condition.Aluminun would be a great choice but the cost seems prohibitive to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, farmer 52 said:

I have a couple PJ's,dump and split deckboth good trailers.First dump I bought was a Cam,bought it because it was supposed to be top of the line.Two years paint was falling off in chunks,dealer told me its a dump trailer,what do you expect,manufacture's answer was they sent me two cans of paint,was never happy with it.PJ dump trailer I bought in 11,dont use it in the winter,other than some small rust spots its still in good condition.Aluminun would be a great choice but the cost seems prohibitive to me.

Thank you for the input, I will look into PJ trailers, I have not heard of them.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What brand did you have?

I believe it was aluma? 

The raised sides on my landscape trailer were a major issue. Those welds cracked first.  Then the support rails underneath cracked.   Trailer was only 4 yrs old when I sold it and bought the big tex.  

If I was looking to buy another trailer, it would definitely be galvanized.  Few of my buddies have T&N galvanized trailers. Look like new after several yrs.  Uhaul rents those single axle utility trailers and they get abused, but still look good after yrs of use. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Thanks Mow, hey does that gate have a torsion type spring inside the gate? If so is that snapped? Or is it heavy from beefing it up? I am a Foreman for a Parks Dept, so we are in similar business, we had gates like this, you dread using the trailer because the gate is so heavy.   Thanks for your input, I appreciate it

Its heavy because my buddy built it from scratch with much heavier gage steel. Plus I lengthened it a foot so the mowers deck bolts didn't get caught if the gate angle was steep.  I added gorilla lifts because it was so dam heavy. 

The wall thickness of the original gate is the issue. In fairness, it lasted 5 yrs. 

Edited by mowin

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Its heavy because my buddy built it from scratch with much heavier gage steel. Plus I lengthened it a foot so the mowers deck bolts didn't get caught if the gate angle was steep.  I added gorilla lifts because it was so dam heavy. 

The wall thickness of the original gate is the issue. In fairness, it lasted 5 yrs. 

Ohhh nice! If you got 5 yrs out of it with daily lawns, then I should be fine.  I just will crawl up it rather than hot rodding like guys at work, lol.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

I've got a 2006 Big Tex 7x18ft utility pipe trailer, had it for the last 3 years. I've rewired it and it needs the deck redone, but no major issues. I just got back from putting 200+ miles on it getting a ~4000lb tractor. Did a 500 mile trip last year to get hay equipment, hauled cars to the scrap yard. It's done what I've asked of it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can't find anything on this company........is it correct?

I was close.  N&N trailers. He's got a 14k dump and a 20' equipment trailer.  Both 5 yrs old and used alot. 

Texted Another buddy, and he has a load rite galvanized dump, but he's only had that for around a yr, so can't comment on longevity.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input guys, after all this I ended up going with a Sure Trac 81” wide x 16’ long 7K GVW trailer.  My mind changed when I actually got my eyes on both trailers in person.  The Big Tex’s deck boards are only fastened on the front, and rear, where the Sure Trac is fastened at each cross member.  I prefer the angled fenders of the Sure Trac vs the rounded Big Tex fenders, and the Sure Trac is powdercoated instead of painted.  I can’t go wrong either way for what I intend to use the trailer for, but that was my personal preferences.  I should have it next weekend, trailers are selling like wildfire like a lot of other vehicles, etc.  It has been a constant search.  Traveling 155 miles to get this thing.  

80E8F13A-C877-4786-9328-7D46941B01D6.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 7