Handgun training

Buckmaster7600

Thinking it over bit of a drive .
Now heres a question if you don’t mind  , last week I shot my 9mm SW Shield, and something happened that never has before .  Maybe ten yards , modified Weaver, shooting at the center of target , but I’m hitting low and left , a nice tight group but all low and left .
So I make sure I wasn’t jerking the trigger and so on but still low and left .
Then I shoot single hand and hit the center consistently.
Thoughts ? Thanks .

Make sure you're grip of your firing hand isn't changing your trigger press. your support hand can't be pulling. Don't wrap your support hand so deep so its pulling/tight. Don't let your left elbow drop either. Anything weaver is weird because it's not naturally how you want to be especially when transitioning to targets right or left. Close your eyes and draw to a spot you're relaxed and comfortable. Open your eyes and the target should be there. Change something like footing then try again. Build that muscle memory into your head so you naturally engage the target that way. Change things one at a time until you figure out what it is.

Not a coach so maybe buckmaster can chime in and critique would I've said.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do not have a holster. The only gun i carry is my little body guard and it just goes in my pocket.  I can certainly get one if you thinking having one will be benefit your teaching....

I'm planning on bringing my .22 .380 9mm and .45.  Would i be better of concentrating on 1 weapon?

I do not have a holster. The only gun i carry is my little body guard and it just goes in my pocket.  I can certainly get one if you thinking having one will be benefit your teaching....
I'm planning on bringing my .22 .380 9mm and .45.  Would i be better of concentrating on 1 weapon?

It’s up to you, it would probably more beneficial to you to plan on using just one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Make sure you're grip of your firing hand isn't changing your trigger press. your support hand can't be pulling. Don't wrap your support hand so deep so its pulling/tight. Don't let your left elbow drop either. Anything weaver is weird because it's not naturally how you want to be especially when transitioning to targets right or left. Close your eyes and draw to a spot you're relaxed and comfortable. Open your eyes and the target should be there. Change something like footing then try again. Build that muscle memory into your head so you naturally engage the target that way. Change things one at a time until you figure out what it is.

Not a coach so maybe buckmaster can chime in and critique would I've said.

With small pistols I teach people to grip them about as hard as they can and ensure non firing wrist is rotated forward to lock. This does a few things but in his case the main thing it will do is make it much more difficult to tense up on his grip on trigger pull if he’s already at 95%.

Handgun shooting grips and stances have evolved a lot recently. The old NRA firm handshake grip the weaver and isosceles are complete garbage for anything other than bullseye shooting and don’t carry over at all in a defensive handgun scenario.

• Like 1

With small pistols I teach people to grip them about as hard as they can and ensure non firing wrist is rotated forward to lock. This does a few things but in his case the main thing it will do is make it much more difficult to tense up on his grip on trigger pull if he’s already at 95%.

Handgun shooting grips and stances have evolved a lot recently. The old NRA firm handshake grip the weaver and isosceles are complete garbage for anything other than bullseye shooting and don’t carry over at all in a defensive handgun scenario.

Like shooting a bow from a treestand or unlevel 3D course i feel like it all effects your shooting in different ways. No first hand experience but in a defensive situation logic would tell me that you could be in any number of stances or positions. Makes sense to me you should practice more than one position or stance. Still it's better to get a best one nailed down good for confidence before moving to others. U prefer some version of modified weaver for precision bullseye competition, then more exposed isosolece works good for steel competitons or informal bowling pins. Steel and bowling pins aren't fighting/shooting back though. lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

This is really awesome of @Buckmaster7600to do this. I hope a few more of you guys can join us on Sunday. Looking forward to meeting you guys! Come on 518 guys! Everyone can use some instruction and who doesn't like blowing off a few rounds!

Full agreement, extremely cool thing to do!  If it wasn't for the ammo shortage + stupid NYS pistol laws (I already have a pistol why do I need to wait god knows how long to get another?) I'd run out and buy another pistol right now.

• Like 1

Assuming you’re a right handed shooter the book says you’re tightening your grip while squeezing trigger, usually it’s your non firing hand. Without watching you that’s the best I can give you.

Would you think he possibly is not putting enough of his finger on the trigger? Usually it’s the opposite and people put too much... but low left could be the other way ?

Would you think he possibly is not putting enough of his finger on the trigger? Usually it’s the opposite and people put too much... but low left could be the other way ?

With a proper grip it doesn’t matter how much of your finger is or isn’t on the trigger. 1 finger will never over power the other 7 with a proper grip.

12 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I could not recommend it more to anybody else in ENY if @Buckmaster7600 decides to do this again.  Dude really, really knows his stuff and not only helped me a great deal, but taught us how to teach ourselves.  Thanks again!

Couldn't have said it better myself! It was great to meet you!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...