IWB holsters

I purchased a kydex IWB holster for my SA Hellcat, and it’s nice, holds the gun very well and all, but I cant get used to the feel of it. I’ve tried it at 3, 4 and 5 o’clock positions and at 3 o’clock it’s ok, but I usually like more of a 4 or 5 o’clock carry, and this one is really not comfortable there. I’ve been looking at other options, such as the Crossbreed Supertuck that will give me leather against my body to up the comfort a bit. What are all of you using? Figured I’d get some opinions before I buy Another one. 

I have a TT Gunleather IWB with dual leather belt loops.  I use it for my XD mod2 .45 supports it very well, no buyers remorse.  I too prefer 4-5 o’clock, but a couple years ago had the itch for an appendix holster with dual clips, and wanted to try kydex.  I decided on the brand Alpha Concealment, but the build quality is just fine, but I am not a fan of that carry position. My stomach is relatively flat, and it still just feels odd.  I feel like the more of a stomach the wearer has, the more the gun will tip in, and point at you, just not a fan personally.  

My leather IWB below

https://www.ttgunleather.com/product-page/slim-xc

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

After 36 years of carrying , I’m mostly IWB now , never cared much for it before and was an OWB leather guy . IWB with thin kydex is far better for me to conceal even with a thin T shirt . They say, it’s a system, gun, holster and proper belt, I’ll add waistline lol . I wear 36 inch waist pants , but there’s still a little room for the gun which helps . 

As you can see it’s at 3:00 , this is partly due to the fact that my right shoulder limits how far my arm can reach back . I used to hate IWB now it’s no problemo , with today’s thinner guns and thinner holster .

Or go like Clint Smith .... I Love him !

06299303-6BC7-4AB8-9475-6ECCA63F93CF.jpeg

977549DC-62C7-46F1-9AC5-779840AF5165.png

Edited by Nomad

I have bins of holsters I’ve bought and not liked. Almost all of the ones I carry now are vedder lighttuck. They’re very high quality with an awesome warranty and customer service.

Anything other than kydex between you and your gun is only adding to the thickness you’re currently uncomfortable with.

Proper pant size and a good belt makes a big difference!

Before you spend money on a new holster suck it up for a week. If you need to go to a size bigger pants. At first it will feel very uncomfortable having a chunk of plastic in you waistline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have never been a fan of IWB until I recently picked up a Sig p365 that came with two IWB holsters. I have tried them both and to my surprise have found them quite comfortable. The one on the left is a Fobus.

The one on the right not sure of and it isn't marked.  It has a leather backing where the Fobus is all plastic. What I like about them is I can drive or bend over and they stay secure. These two will stay in place when I pull the pistol unlike others I have had that the holster and all come out when drawing.

Picking a holster for any handgun is tough and can get very expensive for sure.

holster.jpg

• Like 2

I have tried a few different holsters, IWB and OWB.  I settled with a techni-clip on my Shield 9mm.  No bulk and very comfortable to carry at appendix, or 5:00.  The gun is slim and tends to blend very easily with 90% of the clothes I wear given there is no added bulk from a holster.  FWIW.

Alien gear is another good hybrid option like the cross breed. My wife has a super tuck for a glock 43 and likes it. They tend to spread out the weight better than a big single clip type iwb holster. I pocket carry a j frame generally so im way at the other end of the spectrum. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I’m surprised there is so much love for hybrid holsters on here! No offense to anyone but I have to question how much those that use then practice with them? Hybrids often lack proper retention. Hybrids make it nearly impossible to get a proper grip on the pistol from the holster. The sweat guard/flap can bend down and prohibit reholster or worse find it way into trigger guard, especially dangerous when used with weapons without an external safety!

I can’t recommend enough to look elsewhere and try a full kydex or leather holster if you’re currently using a hybrid!

I always thought the gun itself was more the factor for carry comfort than the holster (for IWB). Old slabsides (1911 with minimal sites, close to original configuration) is the most comfortable individual sidearm I have ever carried largely because it is so....flat. For many years a PPK knock off was my primary...a number of simple slip in IWB holsters , but there isnt much to a PPK. Sometimes to optimize the guns carry - ability (is that a word?) you pick the gun you are most likely to be able to carry...sometimes the ol' gun, like the shoe, just doesnt fit.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have bins of holsters I’ve bought and not liked. Almost all of the ones I carry now are vedder lighttuck. They’re very high quality with an awesome warranty and customer service.

Anything other than kydex between you and your gun is only adding to the thickness you’re currently uncomfortable with.

Proper pant size and a good belt makes a big difference!

Before you spend money on a new holster suck it up for a week. If you need to go to a size bigger pants. At first it will feel very uncomfortable having a chunk of plastic in you waistline.

Pants size isn’t an issue. I can Take most of mine off without unbuttoning them. Maybe it’s my belt that’s an issue. My normal hole in the belt is too tight and next one is too loose. I’ll get one of the more adjustable ones and see how it feels. 

I juat don’t really like the plastic feel, which is why I was looking at Crossbreed, as the leather goes against your body. 

Pants size isn’t an issue. I can Take most of mine off without unbuttoning them. Maybe it’s my belt that’s an issue. My normal hole in the belt is too tight and next one is too loose. I’ll get one of the more adjustable ones and see how it feels. 

I juat don’t really like the plastic feel, which is why I was looking at Crossbreed, as the leather goes against your body. 

I wear a kore belt https://www.koreessentials.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwgZuDBhBTEiwAXNofROtjB3RhVvJx1WhKhUvH5sraCU-XXlnhJPJ-bKKbt-U83a0jHflQdhoCC3cQAvD_BwE. They have a ratcheting system that is awesome! I think it’s 1/4” adjustments. They’re also easily adjustable without needing to go to the bathroom. I often adjust mine when getting in and out of vehicle or if sitting for long periods.

A proper fitting kydex holster you won’t notice. As I said before I strongly recommend avoiding any of the hybrid holsters like the cross breeds. Get a quality belt and don’t give up on kydex yet!

I don’t know about the brand holster you have but if you want to try another https://www.vedderholsters.com offers a 30 day no question guarantee! Don’t like it after 30days mail it back and they refund you with no questions. They’re an awesome company to deal with, when you call with a question or issue you’ll talk to a person in the factory.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I wear a kore belt https://www.koreessentials.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwgZuDBhBTEiwAXNofROtjB3RhVvJx1WhKhUvH5sraCU-XXlnhJPJ-bKKbt-U83a0jHflQdhoCC3cQAvD_BwE. They have a ratcheting system that is awesome! I think it’s 1/4” adjustments. They’re also easily adjustable without needing to go to the bathroom. I often adjust mine when getting in and out of vehicle or if sitting for long periods.

A proper fitting kydex holster you won’t notice. As I said before I strongly recommend avoiding any of the hybrid holsters like the cross breeds. Get a quality belt and don’t give up on kydex yet!

I don’t know about the brand holster you have but if you want to try another https://www.vedderholsters.com offers a 30 day no question guarantee! Don’t like it after 30days mail it back and they refund you with no questions. They’re an awesome company to deal with, when you call with a question or issue you’ll talk to a person in the factory.

So after reading these posts and doing some other research, I bought a gun belt and decided to grab another holster as well. I went with Crossbreed, as I really like the looks and reviews on their slide adjust leather gun belt. I got One of their Supertuck holsters to try out as well. Maybe that will end up sitting around if I end up liking my current Kydex with the new belt. I like Having options, so it can’t hurt. 

I’ll check out the Kore belts as well, again, I like options and more than one belt is a must. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Crossbreed belt and holster came in. It is a night and day difference with the belt. I can Still feel that it’s there, but no more jabbing me in the hip, do printing with it and it’s no longer pulling down on my jeans. Buck master was spot on thinking it was mostly the belt causing my issues before. I wish I had Gone this route a long time ago. I’ll get some pics and post them later on. 

• Like 1

Here are some pics now that I had Some time to take them. I really Need to lose a few more lbs now that I look At them lol. Almost everything being done from home the last year hasn’t done me any favors. 

In any case, very comfortable and should be fine under a t shirt as well. 

F481729B-0E3F-4A27-A6D2-AA91CAC0B6D8.jpeg

0DC4F33D-84EE-42EF-9AE2-57E0B9DF61D1.jpeg

A4673434-53AF-4CF1-8C9D-A7C166C507FE.jpeg

DCAAC766-0927-43BF-B74E-77C94866DD25.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ll have to try a holster specific style belt for the next IWB holster I try. So far I’m 0-2 on them being comfortable. I mostly pocket carry my .380 anyways but I’d probably carry the 9 more often if it was comfortable.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...