GF got me a heated vest. Runs on a fancy rechargeable battery that you would use as a phone backup etc.  Anyone use these and howd they work out?   I tried it on and am thinking those cold days in gun and muzzle its gonna be a definite help.  

She had gotten me one that was size 2Xl and i couldnt even get it on to try it on. So thought maybe it would fit my buddy and he tried it and it barely fit and he is a lot smaller than me.  Looked up reviews on it and comments were "fits great a little tight-  I ordered the 2xl"  - (5'11, weighs 143 lbs.) lol there were a bunch like that. So sent it back and tried another and i can get that one on but certainly nothing but a t shirt under it. They def dont make them in the US.  a 2xl here is often very big on me. 

But seems like it might be a help, no idea how long the batteries last .....   

• Like 1

You want the vests to fit tight so the heating elements make contact with you under a thin layer. They're worth every penny IMO. I used one this past season and it was a "what have i been missing" moment.

Battery life and heating will vary based on the vest and the maH of the battery. I had a 5200 that would run me for a half day hunt on the middle of three settings for the back only (not the front heating element).

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, phade said:

You want the vests to fit tight so the heating elements make contact with you under a thin layer. They're worth every penny IMO. I used one this past season and it was a "what have i been missing" moment.

Battery life and heating will vary based on the vest and the maH of the battery. I had a 5200 that would run me for a half day hunt on the middle of three settings for the back only (not the front heating element).

nice!  I was planning on wearing a thin thermo layer under it.  Mine has two back heaters and one front - was wondering how long it would last with all of them on. Thats good to hear, looking forward to trying it.  If i wear my one piece underbunks and then camo coveralls over it should help keep my toasty.     thanks  Older i get the less i like the cold.  

Mine fits tight as well. I don't recall the brand but it has 5 heat settings. They are nice on real bitter days but I don't care for the battery pack. Mine's located in the left front lower pocket and maybe its just me but that location is annoying. Those battery packs are quite big and long and being that the vest is tight the pack just seems out of place. 

• Like 1

I have the Milwaukee vest and heated jacket. I use the jacket as my outer layer with warm layers under. Before getting the vest, always had it on high and it was way better than nothing. Battery life was good enough to last from an hour before first light until i got out of the tree, usually around 1. Never ran out of battery (12v fuel). I got the vest this past season (thanks babe!) and i wear it between my warm layers and my jacket. never had to go above mid heat level and was roasty toasty. my hands were another story lol. Vest fits a bit snug, but I think that is part of the reason it works so well. Air is a poor conductor of heat and the outer layer traps the heat in. 

Love it. Highly recommend it! If someone reading this does not have one...get one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Mine fits tight as well. I don't recall the brand but it has 5 heat settings. They are nice on real bitter days but I don't care for the battery pack. Mine's located in the left front lower pocket and maybe its just me but that location is annoying. Those battery packs are quite big and long and being that the vest is tight the pack just seems out of place. 

Mine sits in the left front pocket and never an issue - but I use a thin battery pack - walmart sells them usually in the checkout aisles. $5 or 10...about the size of a wallet but only 3/8" thick maybe. Fits perfect in there with no issue. I never notice or have an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

nice!  I was planning on wearing a thin thermo layer under it.  Mine has two back heaters and one front - was wondering how long it would last with all of them on. Thats good to hear, looking forward to trying it.  If i wear my one piece underbunks and then camo coveralls over it should help keep my toasty.     thanks  Older i get the less i like the cold.  

I can't recall a time where I used front and back at same time; I use the back 95% of the time because it keeps the kidneys warm and thus helps overall. Some people turn on and off as needed but I find that annoying as it's layered underneath. So in stand I set back on low or medium and let it do its job. Works well that way for morning and evening sits where you break in between in late season. 

I've also moved away from propane heaters in blinds when I sit them late season occasionally. Instead, I use USB heated blankets and run them on a USB powerbank. No smell and works just fine. I used one in our tent when were in MO for a week in November. Works better than anticipated....$30 well spent all in for battery and blanket!

Bought one of the cheap chinese ones online from a vendor through Walmart.com, cost around $30.  Just has a heated back section, but works well as the layer over my bottom thermal long sleeve undershirt layer.  Even though it is made in china, it has red , white and blue settings; signifying hot, medium and low = quite patriotic to a USA consumer.  At the lowest setting, it runs for as long as I can sit on stand and keeps me warm with one of the charged up USB battery packs.  I think I have a 20M size battery pack (2 of these cost about $25 total, or 12.50 each).  I bring an extra battery pack, since they are light weight and it's good to have just in case.  Also, as stated earlier these run small as if they are sized for someone in china - I got a 2XL which is the equivalent of a US size Large.  Money well spent on the vest and battery packs to stay warm and comfortable.

• Like 1

I bought an arris heated vest this past winter to wear in the duck blind for the late duck and goose season. I wear it over a shirt and under my parka and it is very comfortable and warm. I only have to use the medium heat setting on the coldest of days. It comes with zippered side panels that can be added or removed to adjust to your size. I bought a spare rechargeable battery for it but a battery on full charge lasts all day. It has several options on using all or just some of the 7 heating elements in the vest.         valoroutdoors.com  https://www.arrislife.com/collections/heated-clothing/products/arris-heated-vest-size-adjustable-7-4v-battery-electric-warm-vest-for-hiking-camping-1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know 3 guys that use the Pnuma vests and they love them. They just came out with pants and a hand muff too. 

One of the best out there, but me being frugal ordered the heating elements off ebay and converted my existing jackets for 1/10 of the price and can run the usb battery lead to any pocket of my choice.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 3

I bought an Ororo brand one after a couple guys at the Letchworth hunt raved about them . I liked it enough that I bought 4 more for Christmas gifts .

I don’t sit all that long anymore ,but it’s been useful a few times, great for my “ I’m cold “ daughter though .

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well that should be in the DIY section on here with a video. 

Its very simple.

Order heating pads - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-USB-Clothes-Heating-Pad-Gear-Thermal-Heater-Jacket-Vest-Mobile-Warming/392987284913?hash=item5b7fde15b1:g:2vkAAOSwrkBfkFtB

Use Velcro or heat resistant glue and apply patches to locations you want in your existing jackets :)

Edited by suburbanfarmer

I got a cheap china vest for xmas this year. Too late for hunting season but I did wear it skiing and most of the time I didn't even turn it on. The vest itself was warm. It does run small but the xxxl fit me fine. I'm 6' and weigh 185. I know it will get a lot of use next deer season. I picked up a couple of spare batteries that are 10,000mAH that should be enough to get me through an all day sit?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Its very simple.

Order heating pads - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-USB-Clothes-Heating-Pad-Gear-Thermal-Heater-Jacket-Vest-Mobile-Warming/392987284913?hash=item5b7fde15b1:g:2vkAAOSwrkBfkFtB

Use Velcro or heat resistant glue and apply patches to locations you want in your existing jackets :)

:imsohappy:

Edited by rob-c

• 7 months later...

So used my vest one cold morn to check it out and it did help. Need to put it just over my t shirt though and not over two other shirts. 

Corey also got one and the button is confusing.....yes the one button. 

So I press mine once it goes Orange, press it again it's blue and a third time green.  WTH kinda Chinese stuff has those colors for heat.  Corey's goes Orange , white and blue.  We just both press it twice hoping it's set for the middle. 

And I would read the instructions except they are in Chinese. Lol. 

I feel like this......

7-1.gif

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Haha 3

On 11/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

So used my vest one cold morn to check it out and it did help. Need to put it just over my t shirt though and not over two other shirts. 

So I press mine once it goes Orange, press it again it's blue and a third time green.  WTH kinda Chinese stuff has those colors for heat.  Corey's goes Orange , white and blue.  We just both press it twice hoping it's set for the middle. 

I feel like this......

7-1.gif

Red or orange is definitely the hottest setting.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

I feel like this......

7-1.gif

I seen on weston.com they had the vest offered 20% off after I bought my socks. How's yours work?