Question on lifetime license

luberhill

if you hunt long enough it is most definitely worth it. I got a lifetime sportsman with lifetime bow. Was $1000 when I got it. Eventually it pays for itself, as long as we outlive the fee. 

this is the link that will explain the LT lic fees/coverage

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6099.html

this is the link for annual lic

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html

add up what you do every year and divide the lifetime lic by that number. this will tell you how many years it will take for it to pay for itself

• Like 2

My life time payed for itself in 6years . Sportsmans at the time was $500. That was over 10 years ago. I still buy my archery and muzzleloader  tags . When I got my sportsmans it still covered the cost of the  doe tags. I'm pretty sure current lifetimes doesn't cover doe tags anymore.

How old do you have to be in NY to qualify for the senior pricing...that is, I am pretty sure there was one.

I bought mine over twenty years ago, and it has paid for itself several times. You can put anything on it you want...bow, ML, big game, small game, etc. I have ML, big and small game. You get your doe tags free each year.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html

Looks like most licenses are free or very inexpensive once you reach the age of 70.

I suspect, with only 8 more years to get to that point, you may be better of just going with yearly licenses and associated fees but I haven't done the math to confirm.  You'd have to spend $150 / year on licenses / tags now to break even. 

21 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I’m 62

looks like 1200.00 for big, small, Turkey, fishing, bow and muzzleloader 

I get the same, but add doe tags. I pay $98.00. It would take 12 yrs to break even.  

• Like 1

I bought mine when I graduated high-school in 97. Then archery and muzzloader after I got my first job out of college in 99. Probably some of the best money I ever spent as far as return on investment.

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

add up what you do every year and divide the lifetime lic by that number. this will tell you how many years it will take for it to pay for itself

Yes, do the simple math as instructed above.  Or just pay every year like I do - somebody has to pay off the deficit right? LOL.  I know, my $s are just taking one speck of sand each year from a beach that grows bigger by the dump truck loads.  Really it's not that complicated for me, I just pay and don't even think about it because I enjoy hunting so much and compared to everything else I do the $100 or so, per year for all the tags and fishing license seems like a bargain.  But if you want to save money; do the math and if it makes sense to get a lifetime license, then go for it.

I'm 61 ALSO FOR ME ITS WORTH IT IM MOVING TO GEORGIA AND WANT TO STILL HUNT IN NY .I LOOKED INTO A DUAL RESIDENCY BUT IF I DONT SHOW MY PRIMERY RESIDENCY IN NY I 'M CONSIDERED NON RESIDENT. SO IM GETTING THE LIFETIME AND I CAN STILL APPLY FOR DOE TAGS[MY MAIN CONCERN].MY FRIEND IS 70 ITS $65  SO FOR HIM ITS WELL WORTH IT. I HAD A FRIEND I HUNTED WITH AND HE HUNTED TILL HE WAS 83 .LAST YEAR WELL. ACTUALLY THE LAST SERVEAL YRS I BEEN PAYING OVER $100 FOR EVERYTHING,BUT EVEN BEFORE THEY MADE IT AN ALLA CARTE MENU I USE TO GET THE SPORTSMANS LICENSE AND IT WAS LIKE $95.

• Like 2

I think NYtracker is right about the  date of 2009 being when the  "free" doe tags were no longer given out, because that was the impetus for my getting my lifetime licenses. Anyway, if you do not fish the the  cost to  you would be $62/year for 9 years or $558. Then at age 70, buy the $65 sportsmens license plus your annual bow and muzzle license. But if you fish also, then it will cost you $783 for the nine years so you might as well buy the lifetime now. If you do not opt for the  lifetime you need to  be aware of possible price hikes.

21 hours ago, cutbait said:

Yes, do the simple math as instructed above.  Or just pay every year like I do - somebody has to pay off the deficit right? LOL.  I know, my $s are just taking one speck of sand each year from a beach that grows bigger by the dump truck loads.  Really it's not that complicated for me, I just pay and don't even think about it because I enjoy hunting so much and compared to everything else I do the $100 or so, per year for all the tags and fishing license seems like a bargain.  But if you want to save money; do the math and if it makes sense to get a lifetime license, then go for it.

I forgot to mention, and I am sure many here will agree, its so nice not to think about it and have your tags just show up sometime in August or September.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I forgot to mention, and I am sure many here will agree, its so nice not to think about it and have your tags just show up sometime in August or September.

Is that what they to ? Just mail the back tag and buck tag ?

So u still have to go into a store and buy the doe permits ?

Just now, luberhill said:

Is that what they to ? Just mail the back tag and buck tag ?

So u still have to go into a store and buy the doe permits ?

Yes. I get my back tag, buck tag, either sex tag, bear tag, 3 turkey tags (1fall 2 spring? not sure dont hunt turkey bc I dont know how) in the mail every year. good reminder to start getting ready! I still spend $10 a year for 2 doe tags, but thats it. I bought my LT lic in 2010 and missed the free dpm's. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Farflung said:

I think NYtracker is right about the  date of 2009 being when the  "free" doe tags were no longer given out, because that was the impetus for my getting my lifetime licenses. Anyway, if you do not fish the the  cost to  you would be $62/year for 9 years or $558. Then at age 70, buy the $65 sportsmens license plus your annual bow and muzzle license. But if you fish also, then it will cost you $783 for the nine years so you might as well buy the lifetime now. If you do not opt for the  lifetime you need to  be aware of possible price hikes.

I see 696.00 with fishing for the next 8 yrs till I’m 70

Lifetime would be 1200 I think 

Another thing to consider is whether you plan on moving out of state in retirement.  If you plan on moving but coming back each fall to your camp etc. it may be worthwhile as the lifetime license doesn't "expire" if you move out of state.  There is also no "senior" non-resident privledge.