Question on lifetime license

luberhill

On 4/1/2021 at 4:51 PM, meateater said:

I'm 61 ALSO FOR ME ITS WORTH IT IM MOVING TO GEORGIA AND WANT TO STILL HUNT IN NY .I LOOKED INTO A DUAL RESIDENCY BUT IF I DONT SHOW MY PRIMERY RESIDENCY IN NY I 'M CONSIDERED NON RESIDENT. SO IM GETTING THE LIFETIME AND I CAN STILL APPLY FOR DOE TAGS[MY MAIN CONCERN].MY FRIEND IS 70 ITS $65  SO FOR HIM ITS WELL WORTH IT. I HAD A FRIEND I HUNTED WITH AND HE HUNTED TILL HE WAS 83 .LAST YEAR WELL. ACTUALLY THE LAST SERVEAL YRS I BEEN PAYING OVER $100 FOR EVERYTHING,BUT EVEN BEFORE THEY MADE IT AN ALLA CARTE MENU I USE TO GET THE SPORTSMANS LICENSE AND IT WAS LIKE $95.

So are you doing it ??

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

Ok question... after you pay you have the option of getting your new drivers license now by paying 12.00

so you only have to do that once ???

also they send the spring Turkey tag now will they send the fall one later 

Both tags show up together. Not sure about the driver's lic. I know that DMV can show your hunting privs on your driver's lic but I don't think DEC will honor it in the woods. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Both tags show up together. Not sure about the driver's lic. I know that DMV can show your hunting privs on your driver's lic but I don't think DEC will honor it in the woods. 

Well if I have my back tags and the drivers license shows I have lifetime , and they said the DMV joined with DEC they sure as heck better accept it !!

• Like 1

I'm in the highest group right now ,while it will pay off ,i just don't want to drop a grand on a license . I bought my son one when he was 3 and will buy my daughter one as well . If they get into hunting it will surely benefit them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luberhill said:

So are you doing it ??

Absolutely well worth it i can still hunt in NY and apply for doe tags.Plus all the tags are included [minus the doe tags] see the all the states and provinces dec/.dnr's  make  their money with the selling of tags or offering preference points to non residents like Maine every year you pay to apply for a moose tag ,its  not much but adds up i got a friend that applied for 10 yrs and if you actually get a permit its over $500. Colorado a moose  tag cost $2300 [i cheated i googled it].They dont make money on residents but non residents Alaska is a prime example. Now when i move to Georgia i can hunt there as a resident cause its my primary residence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Looks like it’s good for proof

22EB3D34-3C6C-4CC8-BAE7-B5F6C19AAF8C.png

i don't buy it its another cash grab by the state .I got the enhanced license cause the woman @ the DMV said you want the enhanced license its as good as a passport[i figured it was a good thing if i forgot or misplaced [aka lost] my  passport .Well its NOT as good as a passport only valid in  Canada and Mexico. You go on a cruise  its worthless. With my CDL cost my like $220 for 3 yrs cause of the enhanced license ,now my passport cost me $105 for 10 yrs and i could go any where in the world with it

• Like 1

Fwiw, I've used my driver's license as proof of fishing license a few times. One DEC officer questioned me on it though. Asked how he's supposed to know if the fish symbol wasn't for saltwater license. I told him I'd have to be an idiot to live in CNY and have a lifetime saltwater fishing license and not get a freshwater license when I live 15 minutes from Oneida lake. Then he said something like well how do I know your fishing privileges haven't been taken away? I told him that's his job to figure out, he wasn't too happy but he let it be. The guy just wanted to be a pain. It's the only proof I carry while fishing. It's a govt issued license, it should be all you need. Hunting is different though where permits and such are needed.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisw said:

Fwiw, I've used my driver's license as proof of fishing license a few times. One DEC officer questioned me on it though. Asked how he's supposed to know if the fish symbol wasn't for saltwater license. I told him I'd have to be an idiot to live in CNY and have a lifetime saltwater fishing license and not get a freshwater license when I live 15 minutes from Oneida lake. Then he said something like well how do I know your fishing privileges haven't been taken away? I told him that's his job to figure out, he wasn't too happy but he let it be. The guy just wanted to be a pain. It's the only proof I carry while fishing. It's a govt issued license, it should be all you need. Hunting is different though where permits and such are needed.

Agree

im 62 and have hunted and fished my whole life since 14 yes old

ive never been asked to see my license !

and I fished bass tournaments all over the state and hunted big game and small game too

I bought my daughter her lifetime when she was born, before the prices increased. I think it was $150 total. But that was almost twenty years ago. 

A friend of mine who moved out of state a decade ago also got his, and he loves it. But the lack of doe tags is a PITA, since he doesn't get them automatically and has to be here in person to apply, but given the excess tags in our area he is always able to grab a few when he shows up to hunt anyway. It is a consideration, though.

5 hours ago, knehrke said:

A friend of mine who moved out of state a decade ago also got his, and he loves it. But the lack of doe tags is a PITA, since he doesn't get them automatically and has to be here in person to apply, but given the excess tags in our area he is always able to grab a few when he shows up to hunt anyway. It is a consideration, though.

I have been applying for my doe tags using the DECALS system online for the past several years as a resident holder of a lifetime license.  Are non-residents not allowed to apply online?  It only takes me a few minutes and then my doe tags show up in my mailbox a week or two later.

5 hours ago, knehrke said:

I bought my daughter her lifetime when she was born, before the prices increased. I think it was $150 total. But that was almost twenty years ago. 

They told me u can do the doe tags online 

8 minutes ago, escpen said:

I have been applying for my doe tags using the DECALS system online for the past several years as a resident holder of a lifetime license.  Are non-residents not allowed to apply online?  It only takes me a few minutes and then my doe tags show up in my mailbox a week or two later.

I got doe tags online last fall with no problems as a non resident lifetime license holder. 

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH

13 hours ago, chrisw said:

The ECO sounds like an idiot! Saltwater license was done away with the year after it was invented. I bought my lifetime SWL thinking the price will only increase and the DEC sent me my $ back when they nixed it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

From my uncle: he is mailed a form to fill out each year to select his dmp choices. His license is one of those purchased prior to the 10/2009 cut off for free dmp permits. If your mailed that paper, I guess you would know it's an old license.