Is ammo availability gonna affect your hunting season?

venus

When I was looking to buy a deer rifle last Fall, I first looked for ammo. I found 4 boxes (80 rounds) of 25.06 on the shelf at "regular" prices. Then I set out to buy the firearm. So, I am set for many deer seasons-in both NY and Florida. (Also have rounds for hogs and coyote). Since then I have managed to find ammo on the shelf at Camping World, WalMart and Rural King. In addition, one of my sons scored 3 boxes at Bass Pro for me. Had i purchased a more popular caliber, I am not sure I am not sure I could have purchased any short of paying wildly inflated internet prices.

12 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

When I was looking to buy a deer rifle last Fall, I first looked for ammo. I found 4 boxes (80 rounds) of 25.06 on the shelf at "regular" prices. Then I set out to buy the firearm. So, I am set for many deer seasons-in both NY and Florida. (Also have rounds for hogs and coyote). Since then I have managed to find ammo on the shelf at Camping World, WalMart and Rural King. In addition, one of my sons scored 3 boxes at Bass Pro for me. Had i purchased a more popular caliber, I am not sure I am not sure I could have purchased any short of paying wildly inflated internet prices.

Dick's had a shelf full of 2506,but didn't have the gun.What rifle did you get?

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Dick's had a shelf full of 2506,but didn't have the gun.What rifle did you get?

Ruger American Predator with "Go Wild" pattern on stock. Cerakote finish on exposed metal parts. Topped with a Leupold VX-3I 3.5-10X40 also in Cerakote finish. To my knowledge Leupold doesn't make scopes in that finish. I bought the scope from Elk Country Arms. I believe they send their scopes to a Licensed US Cerakote holder for finishing. The rifle shoots better than I do. LOL

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Ruger American Predator with "Go Wild" pattern on stock. Cerakote finish on exposed metal parts. Topped with a Leupold VX-3I 3.5-10X40 also in Cerakote finish. To my knowledge Leupold doesn't make scopes in that finish. I bought the scope from Elk Country Arms. I believe they send their scopes to a Licensed US Cerakote holder for finishing. The rifle shoots better than I do. LOL

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

• Like 4

Thinking of being a outlaw this turkey season.  Got a buddy that has 20 rounds TSS #7-9 he's will to part with.  

7 is legal, but 9 isnt.  Im running low on Winchester longbeard 5's.  And I've now have 2 youth hunters, and 3 adult first timers. 

If itvwas just me, I'd be good for a couple yrs if I don't  miss,but these new hunters have no ammo, and I can't find any.  The TSS 7-9 are looking  better and better. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Nice, congratulations she looks like a beauty, the 25-06 is one of my favorite cartridges, you can really reach out and touch em at some pretty fair distances. I have made some of my longest shot on Woodchucks and Crows with a 25-06.

Al

I have ammo/components/dies for guns I dont even own yet, just interested in maybe someday.

In a practicle sense I just got a quota list that is allowed on a hunt this fall. They didnt hunt the concession last year, it's a good one anyway for available game, and they need to do some management. If I tag out on primary animal, I could melt my barrel trying for the rest. Now I might book more days. Lol. Taking more ammo for sure.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I have ammo/components/dies for guns I dont even own yet, just interested in maybe someday.

In a practicle sense I just got a quota list that is allowed on a hunt this fall. They didnt hunt the concession last year, it's a good one anyway for available game, and they need to do some management. If I tag out on primary animal, I could melt my barrel trying for the rest. Now I might book more days. Lol. Taking more ammo for sure.

I still have that loaded 375 Jarrett cartridge you gave me if you run low......... :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I still have that loaded 375 Jarrett cartridge you gave me if you run low......... :)

I'd tell you bring it along, a guest can hunt off my license, but its opening day of bow here and it's going to be scorching hot in the valley. But tiger fishing out of the best camp there is on the lower Zambezi for 3 days at the end.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I'd tell you bring it along, a guest can hunt off my license, but its opening day of bow here and it's going to be scorching hot in the valley. But tiger fishing out of the best camp there is on the lower Zambezi for 3 days at the end.

I’d like to hear more about your hunt, I’ll try and call over the weekend.  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:22 PM, mowin said:

If itvwas just me, I'd be good for a couple yrs if I don't  miss,but these new hunters have no ammo, and I can't find any.  The TSS 7-9 are looking  better and better. 

So exactly what are you looking for? Gauge, shell length and shot size.

15 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

So exactly what are you looking for? Gauge, shell length and shot size.

12g, 3" number 5 or 6's.   I've been using longbeard XR. But I'd buy just about anything now.

I have a bunch of 3" copper buffed/plated 12Ga 3" mags. in different weights. 2oz., 1 7/8 oz., 1 3/4 oz., in number 4 shot, and one box of #5 shot.

Let me know what and how many you need and we can work something out.

• 3 weeks later...

No I handload my deer rifle rounds. I have plenty of 5.56/223 for range days or coyote hunts and buy more whenever I find it decently priced. I have more than enough 12ga for turkey/duck season, haven't been able to find any target loads however so shooting clay pigeons is probably not gonna happen this summer. I also recently picked up some more 22LR to have on hand for plinking.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty certain I'm good this season.  Sitting on ~200rds of 30-30 in a couple of loads (Leverevolution, and 170gr), at least 150 12ga slug, and thousands of 22LR with a good 300 in those meat eater lead-free rds I like for squirrel.

In fact, pretty certain I'm good for a couple of seasons now, with plenty of plinking in 22 to stay fresh.

I've got same amount I'd have on hand any other season. About 60 rounds of each bigger caliber and piles of the other stuff like 223, 9mm, 22LR etc. That I shoot high volume varmint hunting or competition with. No change but if I find more 30-06 I'll buy it. This fall in Kentucky I was planning on brining two rifles chambered differently anyway.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk