Bow only first week

Jeremy K

I was recently watching a video of some turkey hunting and the first week was bow only . I'm curious what the guys who have been hunting turkey for awhile think of this . Your opinion or why you think it was put in place . The field they were scouting the night before the season opener had about 150 birds in it . Was the bow only done early season just because the birds were still flocked up so heavily ? 

I only hunted turkeys with a bow for 4 years. If you’re hunting from a blind it doesn’t make a bit of difference. I didn’t use a blind and I can tell you that killing a turkey with a bow is very difficult. It was a lot of fun.

I would love to see the last 2 weeks of April opened for bow only in NY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Every yr there's a thread about how our turkey season needs to be changed (no, not saying this thread is that), and why.. 

But I'm guessing it will turn into that really fast, lol.

Did you catch which state? 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I wanna say it was Nebraska, i was hoping our resident turkey expert had more to say then "X2" ,I'm more curious what the thought process is behind a bow only week. 

I'm willing to bet it less pressure.  Pretty much the same why bow season is before rifle for deer in most states.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greensider said:

Leave is alone we already lost one fall bird and length of fall season 

I'm not advocating for it . I'm very new to Turkey hunting and dont have enough time hunting turkey to argue changing the seasons. Just trying to learn more .

• Like 1

I would like it myself,(Last week of April) I think the reason it is done that way is to give the bow hunters a chance before the millions of gun hunters get out there and make it much harder. I was going to go after them with bow this year but did not like the way the shoulder is feeling yet, I know I can take a deer no problem but do not feel I am grouping well enough for a turkey.

I listened to a meateater podcast about some guy who used to only hunt them that way and was really just talking about strategies, shot placement, set up(expandable much better than broad heads), lower poundage bows, etc).
Can’t remember the state

20 hours ago, Rowdy10 said:

You guys mean crossbow too ?cause it sure the hell won't take long ,according too many on here crossgun is archery.
Just saying -not stirring anything
Not looking for responses!

Really?.  Not stirring things up? Nor looking for a response?  

What a stupid post.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3