WARNING, SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC BUTCHERY PHOTO

Otto

capuzzelle[ gabosell in southern italian dielect] If you ever go to villa roma in callicoon over the weekend its served there on saturday nite they call it Caesar's nite . In Venice its very common to see horse meat and donkey on the menu.If it walks swims or crawls we italians eat it. Rabbit is very common especially @ easter ,you'll see it in the butcher shops wiith the fur left on the tail so you know its not a cat. Siclians eat snails call them  bablosh and we eat weeds cardoona [or just cardoons] and my father told me  about in the spring picking dandelions but called them chicoria. 

I really wanted to get some dandelions to go with the lamb, just never had time to get outside and look for them.  My family used to pick a lot of them for salads.  They are really quite delicious in a sharp pungent way.   We had arugula salad to go with it instead. 

Cardoons are actually burdock, this time of year you pull the plant out of the ground and smash the root and then fry that up.  I’ve never had it, but it sounds good.  

Les Stroud AKA Survivorman, has a new show on PBS called Wild Harvest where he forages for everything and then a professional chef turns it into a gourmet appetizer or meal.   It’s been very interesting to learn about the common plants that are edible at their different stages. 

• Like 1