Birds for training

ATbuckhunter

30 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Does anyone know of any farms in the Long Island, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess or maybe ulster county that sell live chukar, pigeons or quail? I've been trying to catch pigeons by me, but so far I haven't been able to trap any of them. 

Did you try Quattro's in Pleasant Valley in Dutchess?

5 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

There are pigeon stores on Long Island and Queens that have cheap birds for sale.....

Would you happen to know of any names? I tried a store in LI and they said they don't have any in stock at the moment and the live poultry store by me told me they wouldn't sell me a live bird. 

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Would you happen to know of any names? I tried a store in LI and they said they don't have any in stock at the moment and the live poultry store by me told me they wouldn't sell me a live bird. 

There are 2 stores off Grand Ave in Queens,,,,off 69th street...Not sure of the names...........Sorry

Here is my two cents from what Ive learned having a bird dog.  I built a Johnny house and got quail. I had woods behind my house that I used sparingly to train.  My time was limited and  I couldn't shoot a gun back there either. Id toss some quail out and let the dog point them every so often.    Then they’d fly away and that would be it. Looking back I felt like I almost wasted money on the quail and johnhy house because I couldn’t properly utilize them as far as real training.  If you have the land and time then yes, you can do some great training.  I Probably would have been better to take him to a preserve for a weekend and let him have at it. The best training I did with my dog was obedience off leash.  He was a great listener.  

I hear myself in a lot of what you are saying.  About trapping pigeons and getting birds etc.  i wanted to do it all and I did do a lot of it.  But idk if that really helped my situation.   Im sure since I was doing it half way I might have dis more harm than good. What did help was getting a dog from good lines and hunting them as much as possible.   Just keeping your mouth shut and let the dog figure it out.  

thats what worked for me.  Just hunting them as much as I could.  Good luck!!

• Like 1

Here is my two cents from what Ive learned having a bird dog.  I built a Johnny house and got quail. I had woods behind my house that I used sparingly to train.  My time was limited and  I couldn't shoot a gun back there either. Id toss some quail out and let the dog point them every so often.    Then they’d fly away and that would be it. Looking back I felt like I almost wasted money on the quail and johnhy house because I couldn’t properly utilize them as far as real training.  If you have the land and time then yes, you can do some great training.  I Probably would have been better to take him to a preserve for a weekend and let him have at it. The best training I did with my dog was obedience off leash.  He was a great listener.  

I hear myself in a lot of what you are saying.  About trapping pigeons and getting birds etc.  i wanted to do it all and I did do a lot of it.  But idk if that really helped my situation.   Im sure since I was doing it half way I might have dis more harm than good. What did help was getting a dog from good lines and hunting them as much as possible.   Just keeping your mouth shut and let the dog figure it out.  

thats what worked for me.  Just hunting them as much as I could.  Good luck!!

Yeah I mostly just want to introduce her to birds since I haven’t done it yet. It’s getting down to the wire for that. After that im not too worried about it. I’ll probably only train a couple times a week though. I have a few friends willing to help me out with training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1