100$ fill up

Buckmaster7600

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

I spent $100 the other day and got 10 2x4s.  Crazy. Was going to redo my deck this year but gonna wait and see if prices come down a little. Plus I have several big house projects this year.  But hard to believe one pressure treated 2x4 is $10.   

I was going to use new pt 8 ft 4 x 4's for front legs on my two new deer platforms, but they were almost $ 20 each at home depot.  I went with the $ 5.00 pt 8 ft landscape timbers instead.  I had an hour to kill while my daughter was at field hockey practice, so I sorted thru 2 skids and found 4 nice thick, straight, knot-free ones. The tags say "for landscaping use only".  We will have to see about that.

I will use the $60 I saved on a few boxes of Hornady 2-3/4" 12 ga slugs, or 3 tank fills of gas for my suv.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

That's been going on for a year. 

I bought 200 sheets of 7/16 osb for $6.50 each last feb. Just because it was cheap and I needed 50 for a job,but never did use them last summer.

I sold 150 for 23 each last month. I wish I had bought 1k.

I'm swapping out an old bay window thats well past its prime with a slider.  7/16 OSB is $40 a sheet at HD. 

Edited by mowin
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I spent $100 the other day and got 10 2x4s.  Crazy. Was going to redo my deck this year but gonna wait and see if prices come down a little. Plus I have several big house projects this year.  But hard to believe one pressure treated 2x4 is $10.   

Wait if it's not pressing.

There have been a few price spikes over the 30+ years I have been doing this. Eventually the market corrects itself.

I have never seen demand as high as It is right now. Building is stupid crazy. And that's not just here in the Hudson valley from NYC folks moving. Its outside every major urban area east coast. Friend just moved to SC and had a job in 3 days.

20 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

There have been a few price spikes over the 30+ years I have been doing this. Eventually the market corrects itself.

I have never seen demand as high as It is right now. Building is stupid crazy. And that's not just here in the Hudson valley from NYC folks moving. Its outside every major urban area east coast. Friend just moved to SC and had a job in 3 days.i 

I had to get the 10 boards and replace some of my fence frame sections but the deck is def gonna wait.  Esp since I am doing some foundation work this year that needs to be done. Hope you are right and it comes down.  It's a small deck out back as I have a stone patio but didn't want to drop a grand into a small back porch and stairs. 

I don’t expect lumber prices to come down this summer. They came down ever so slightly over the winter but are on there way back up. If you need drywall buy now. I hear drywall is about to jump 40%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I have never seen demand as high as It is right now. Building is stupid crazy. And that's not just here in the Hudson valley from NYC folks moving. Its outside every major urban area east coast. Friend just moved to SC and had a job in 3 days.

all the extra money they been printing lately got to go some place. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Upgraded my truck in January. It gets maybe 5 more miles per gallon than the last one but it’s still not great at 17.5 mpg’s. I just don’t see the cost benefit of running a second fuel efficient vehicle by the time you pay for it and insurance.

It’s a suck it up and take it on the chin situation.

I just sold my small car and kept my truck for this exact reason.  Up keep and maintaining the small car negated the gas savings.

I just lucked into a 2012 Kia Forte that’s spent every winter in Florida, it’s got 73,000 miles on it. I got it cheap enough that after a year I decide the savings aren’t enough I can sell it and make money.

My grandpas neighbor has decided he’s not going back to Florida for the winters anymore and doesn’t need it anymore.

Wear and tear savings on the truck added to the 25 additional mpg’s should work out pretty good but time will tell. If gas goes to 5$ a gallon this summer I’ll feel like a genius.

• Like 3

I just lucked into a 2012 Kia Forte that’s spent every winter in Florida, it’s got 73,000 miles on it. I got it cheap enough that after a year I decide the savings aren’t enough I can sell it and make money.

My grandpas neighbor has decided he’s not going back to Florida for the winters anymore and doesn’t need it anymore.

Wear and tear savings on the truck added to the 25 additional mpg’s should work out pretty good but time will tell. If gas goes to 5$ a gallon this summer I’ll feel like a genius.

I’d be interested in the numbers if you end up comparing what you spent vs. what you saved.

• Like 3

I’d be interested in the numbers if you end up comparing what you spent vs. what you saved.

I will definitely keep track. I did some figuring last night.

Last year I put 20,000 miles on my truck. I’m figuring I’ll still drive my truck 5,000 miles between pulling the boat and hunting and ice fishing.

So using 15,000 miles it’s 1,900$ in savings in gas at 3.00$ a gallon.

I paid 2,000$ for the car, insurance is 300$ for the year with registration and a maintenance number I pulled from my ass at 500$ it will take about 2 years to break even.

• Like 1

During mowing season I fill my one mower every weekday morning, at least 9 gal(11 gal tank). The other mower twice a week at probably 9 gal. I go through just about 2 gal of mix gas a week in the trimmers, blowers, saws. Prob 50 gal in the truck a week. So on average about 110gal a week. 

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

I drive a subaru forester everyday. 34 miles or so one way adds up! Keeps the mileage and wear off my truck too. 

I am in a similar situation as you.  I just bought a brand new truck.  I have a 74 mile round trip “commute”, but considering a corolla to beat around in, so that thing can take the wear, because I need the truck to last for trips/etc pulling the UTV/etc.  I look at having a beater as more as saving your expensive vehicle, rather than the fuel savings, this way in 5 yrs it doesn’t have 120k miles, and not worth much.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I am in a similar situation as you.  I just bought a brand new truck.  I have a 74 mile round trip “commute”, but considering a corolla to beat around in, so that thing take the wear, because I need the truck to last for trips/etc pulling the UTV/etc.  I look at having a beater as more as saving your expensive vehicle, rather than the fuel savings, this way in 5 yrs it doesn’t have 120k miles, and not worth much.  

Take the SxS to work !!!!

• Haha 1

I drove a gas sucking Hemi Dodge 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive for a bunch of years and decided to get me a runabout to drive most of the time and just use the truck as a truck when I needed to haul something.

I picked up a used Scion XB wagon affectionately known as a toaster because of it's square shape. For a small vehicle it has a ton of room for gear and gets decent mileage and has been totally reliable and best of all did not cost much.

The wife has been driving a Prius, I would say that it has been the most reliable vehicle I have been around and best of all it gets over 50 mpg.

Al

Edited by airedale

3 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

New to the truck game but will see how this old pig sucks gas.was my grandfather's truck and have put work into it making it road worthy.luckily only has v6,hoping that'll help me

20210403_181652.jpg

That looks like a half ton standard cab Chevy, of a slightly older vintage than my 3/4 ton, 2000, with 6 liter V8.  I get 14 mpg normally, and about 12 with a camper on and pulling a 17.5 ft aluminum boat.  

I will guess that rig will get you about 17 mpg.

The thing helping trucks today are these 8 and 10 speed transmissions allowing for smaller gears like a 3.73 instead of a 4.10 

Use to be buy the biggest engine for towing now your seeing smaller engines able to do the same 

20 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

That's been going on for a year. 

I bought 200 sheets of 7/16 osb for $6.50 each last feb. Just because it was cheap and I needed 50 for a job,but never did use them last summer.

I sold 150 for 23 each last month. I wish I had bought 1k.

Met a Guy at Home Depot earlier today. He saw the $40/sheet price or 7/16th, and he just about cried. 

• Like 1

New to the truck game but will see how this old pig sucks gas.was my grandfather's truck and have put work into it making it road worthy.luckily only has v6,hoping that'll help me
20210403_181652.thumb.jpg.ef0eba42fe82b33f14d118f241224ece.jpg

That thing is in great shape! Those 4.3 pushrod v6’ers are great! If you wanna sell it, I’m interested!

43 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

That thing is in great shape! Those 4.3 pushrod v6’ers are great! If you wanna sell it, I’m interested!

Is in good shape for a 98 and purr's with 263k miles on it.deff not something looking to get rid of anytime soon as has more sentimental value as it was my grandfathers.am happy to hear the reactions on how these trucks run though!!!!put it on road 2 weeks ago and so far am happy with it.playing around with evap issue now,going to start going down the list