From Florida to Southern Tier

Riverrat22

Hi everyone,  

I’m moving my family up from Florida this summer. Really excited to hunt some woods instead of the swamp. Hope you don’t mind me picking your brains as I get my bearings up here.  I can’t wait to get my first grouse

Let me know if you need any info for hunting and fishing in Florida. 

• Like 7

Welcome to NY, a meat hunters paradise.  I have been to most of the lower 48, and there is no state where I would rather live than NY.   How long were you able to stick it out in Florida ?

Most of my trips down there was in February or March, which was fine, but I am lucky the heat and humidity didn't kill me during the week we spent in Disney world in September.  

Ruffed grouse are about the only bird that I really like to eat, but it has been a few years since I have been blessed with one.  They seem to be making a bit of a comeback up in St Lawrence county.  I saw a few more up there while deer hunting last year than the year prior.

The whitetail deer are my favorite to eat, and the only wild game I have had that was a smidge better was moose.  You will find that they are about twice as big on average in NY, as they are in Florida.  You got to look real hard to find any wild hogs in NY, and bugs and snakes also dont do as well up here.

I never did so hot fresh water  fishing in Forida, but we are blessed with many world class fisheries here in NY.   The smallmouth is my favorite and I dont think there is another state that rivals NY, when it comes to those.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Welcome ,most people are doing the NY to Florida move ,not the other way around . Hows the turkey hunting in Florida?

We’re moving back up to be with family, that’s where my in laws are from. We had our first child back in august and it’s important to us that she is close with them. 

Florida is loaded up with turkey. The problem is it’s also loaded with turkey hunters. People come from all over the world to hunt Osceolas so they can get their grand slam. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Welcome to NY, a meat hunters paradise.  I have been to most of the lower 48, and there is no state where I would rather live than NY.   How long were you able to stick it out in Florida ?

Most of my trips down there was in February or March, which was fine, but I am lucky the heat and humidity didn't kill me during the week we spent in Disney world in September.  

Ruffed grouse are about the only bird that I really like to eat, but it has been a few years since I have been blessed with one.  They seem to be making a bit of a comeback up in St Lawrence county.  I saw a few more up there while deer hunting last year than the year prior.

The whitetail deer are my favorite to eat, and the only wild game I have had that was a smidge better was moose.  You will find that they are about twice as big on average in NY, as they are in Florida.  You got to look real hard to find any wild hogs in NY, and bugs and snakes also dont do as well up here.

I never did so hot fresh water  fishing in Forida, but we are blessed with many world class fisheries here in NY.   The smallmouth is my favorite and I dont think there is another state that rivals NY, when it comes to those.

Stuck it out in Florida for 14 years. I grew up in Michigan so I’m not a total noob when it comes to hunting and fishing up north. I’m a big fan of smallmouth too, I grew up fishing the Detroit river, Lake Erie and St. Clair.

I haven’t done much deer hunting the past few years. I just don’t find it to enjoyable when it’s 85 degrees out and the mosquitos just won’t quit. I’m really into small game hunting though. January and February are a great time to be outdoors. Plus you can still take hog that time of year. 
a little local knowledge goes a long way for Florida bass. Let me know if you ever head back down and I’ll clue you in. 

Welcome fellow grouse aficionado.  You will find them where they are, but you will have to look for them.  Expect to hunt them in the snow and cold most of the season as well.  Being from Michigan, I expect you can handle it, if Fla hasn't dulled your tolerance for the cold. ;)

BTW, turkey, coyote, bobcat, rabbit and squirrel will also offer opportunities.

Edited by Grouse

Very interesting indeed. I was born and raised in Steuben Co. NY. I have hunted deer etc there since the 1960’s. I moved out in the 70’s and ended up in Florida. I lived there for 42 years! I left there in 2018 and moved to north GA. So, I guess I have BTDT. Send me a pm if ya want to chat. I may be of some assistance.

• 1 month later...

I am in Tampa and envious that you are getting out of this place. I hate Florida. I would move back to WNY in a moment. 

i do enjoy living in a free state just this one is so friggin hot and miserable. They always show beautiful beaches of florida but most of it is a swamp. 

good luck on uour journey

Edited by screamon demon

Florida is a nice place to visit in January, February and

5 minutes ago, screamon demon said:

I am in Tampa and envious that you are getting out of this place. I hate Florida. I would move back to WNY in a moment. 

i do enjoy living in a free state just this one is so friggin hot and miserable. They always show beautiful beaches of florida but most of it is a swamp. 

good luck on uour journey

March, but other than that forgetaboutit.