Proposed wind farm in my town.

First-light

So my Town of Howard has a 27 turbine wind farm existing right now. Prattsburgh wind (Terra-Gen) whats to bring it a step further. They are proposing 32 wind turbines for the the towns of Howard, Prattsburgh, Avoca, Cohocton and Wheeler. Now the existing turbines in NYS are 350' foot tall. You all have seen them. Terra-Gen is bringing in 650' turbines. NYS is going to allow this. My property is in the middle of protected wetlands where in the past NYS would not allow drilling or such. My neighbors aren't that lucky. Could you imagine a 650' turbine 2500' from your house? I can't. I am including a link to howardlandowners.org. If you are against this type of development please sign the petition. 

Thank you,

First Light (Burt)

Howardlandowners.org (please copy and paste)

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

So my Town of Howard has a 27 turbine wind farm existing right now. Prattsburgh wind (Terra-Gen) whats to bring it a step further. They are proposing 32 wind turbines for the the towns of Howard, Prattsburgh, Avoca, Cohocton and Wheeler. Now the existing turbines in NYS are 350' foot tall. You all have seen them. Terra-Gen is bringing in 650' turbines. NYS is going to allow this. My property is in the middle of protected wetlands where in the past NYS would not allow drilling or such. My neighbors aren't that lucky. Could you imagine a 650' turbine 2500' from your house? I can't. I am including a link to howardlandowners.org. If you are against this type of development please sign the petition. 
Thank you,
First Light (Burt)
Howardlandowners.org (please copy and paste)

Why are you against the future? Reliance on fossil fuels will put America behind the 8 ball. We need to be in the forefront of development not lagging behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The future is nuclear energy, yet we're trying to power the world and travel on electric cars that run on batteries that pollute more than any type of fossil fuel.

The audubon society said that wind turbines kill a lot of migratory birds ?

Do you not care about the birds future's ?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Chef said:

Why are you against the future? Reliance on fossil fuels will put America behind the 8 ball. We need to be in the forefront of development not lagging behind

Chef,

I appreciate your question. I'm not against progress and eliminating fossil fuel. I once had a lease signed with a wind farm company. I was going to do it but my area was protected and it was canceled. In the end I thanked my lucky stars because they wanted my property for a laydown area. Trailers, porta poties and equipment. Why doesn't NYS put the turbines on State property? I'm seeing rural areas being divided, once friend now enemies, in the name of greed. These new turbines are 650' tall. What a great way to ruin rural life. These are 6.5 MW turbines. Leases usually pay 4k per 2.5 MW. These turbines are just too big for my backyard!

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

The future is nuclear energy, yet we're trying to power the world and travel on electric cars that run on batteries that pollute more than any type of fossil fuel.

The audubon society said that wind turbines kill a lot of migratory birds ?

Do you not care about the birds future's ?

I honestly don't care about the birds but i do understand that electric cars are responsible for more pollution over a gas car when you add everything up. 

• Like 1

I don't have any personal info to add to this but I've talked to my uncle about the windmills in Cohocton.  He hunts out of a camp that has them on their property.  He said once they got used to them being there you kind of don't even notice it anymore.

If we are stuck doing this, I would like to see states use as much state owned and maintained divided highway right-of-way to install solar collectors, at least. stick them in the middle and out of the way of possible trouble.  High enough to avoid reflections to motorists. Link up to existing high lines and do the best work possible. use available land the state and feds own, before venturing inland.

Wind power is great if the wind is blowing, but when it's not...not so great.

Hopefully, there is private investment involved in this and other similar projects. If not, there must be a reason if investors are not tripping over one another to get a piece of the action.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Merlot said:

If we are stuck doing this, I would like to see states use as much state owned and maintained divided highway right-of-way to install solar collectors, at least. stick them in the middle and out of the way of possible trouble.  High enough to avoid reflections to motorists. Link up to existing high lines and do the best work possible. use available land the state and feds own, before venturing inland.

Wind power is great if the wind is blowing, but when it's not...not so great.

Hopefully, there is private investment involved in this and other similar projects. If not, there must be a reason if investors are not tripping over one another to get a piece of the action.

100% agree here.  Wind generators could be installed in the medians as well.  I’m sure that the draft from all the cars on a major highway could turn them...at least to a point.

I’ve seen those big ones in Texas...   would not want them in my area...   a friend of mine has a camp in Maine..   a beautiful and quiet spot..   at night it was so dark the stars almost didn’t look real..  now all you see it the flashing red lights on the wind turbines...   not for me!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

100% agree here.  Wind generators could be installed in the medians as well.  I’m sure that the draft from all the cars on a major highway could turn them...at least to a point.

I forgot to mention that China is presently buying as many mines/land as possible around the world that involves rare earth minerals, so as to control the flow of product and have world dominance.. Some of those minerals are necessary to build the batteries for those electric cars, plus wind generator components, among other things. 

I'm sure Mr. potato head has all this under control.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Merlot said:

I forgot to mention that China is presently buying as many mines/land as possible around the world that involves rare earth minerals, so as to control the flow of product and have world dominance.. Some of those minerals are necessary to build the batteries for those electric cars, plus wind generator components, among other things. 

I'm sure Mr. potato head has all this under control.

Our government is more worried about catering to men who want to feel pretty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chef said:

Wind turbines are hugely inefficient.  You could eliminate all the wind turbines in nys by simply adding 1 turbine to robert moses hydro project.. the are funded by 1 million dollar subsidiaries per wind mill.. 

• Like 1

We have a bunch out here. One fell down in a Windstorm. Lol.  They shut them down for a whole year to go thru and inspect them all. 

Seeing a ton of solar farms going in now.  Better for the environment???? They destroyed several beautiful fields that used to be full of deer and turkeys.

They should be spending the money on research into fusion.

14 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We have a bunch out here. One fell down in a Windstorm. Lol.  They shut them down for a whole year to go thru and inspect them all. 

Seeing a ton of solar farms going in now.  Better for the environment???? They destroyed several beautiful fields that used to be full of deer and turkeys.

They should be spending the money on research into fusion.

Solar farms (fields) are a waste IMO.  I understand rooftop panels, but a whole field?  Those panels also end up in the landfill.  Almost all solar farms sit on concrete footings also, making it cost prohibitive to reclaim that land.  What a waste.

13 hours ago, loworange88 said:

More like 100% unsafe! Wind turbines throw ice from their blades which could easily kill someone. I can't imagine them within 500ft of a highway let alone on the median.

We forget our past.  Every major US City during industrial revolution was built on or near water to utilize water power.  New England is loaded with shut down mills all which ran on water power.  Many of which could be utilized to generate electricity via hydrogeneration.  There's many shutdown hydro plants in NY.  One of my facilities stares at a well hidden one that RG&E has mothballed near High Falls in Rochester.  Next to zero effort is being put into new hydro generation or re-establishing existing facilities.  I have a stream on my property which could be used as a micro generator but in NY it is illegal.  In my opinion, hydro generation is the greenest of technology but like the other  "green" technologies but still has some environmental flaws.  It kills some aquatic life.  

Solar panels use highly toxic materials.  My company use to make lasers from circuit traces in their production but we got out of it.  We had to service lasers and felt the environment they are used in put our employees at unacceptable risks.  Solar panels might last 25 years still generating power in some capacity.  When they are end of life they are toxic waste.  Solar panels take up massive amounts of real estate.  If this technology is going to be utilized as part of grid then I'm all for using them over brownfields like capped landfills but farm land, no way.

Now wind power is for people that aren't engineers or have never taken a physics class.   It loaded with losses and is horribly inefficient.  I rate it the least desirable green power.  Ever drive through a wind farm?  You see missive bundles of cables and that makes for a lot of resistance.  You'll also see a piles of dead birds.  While these turbines do make AC it's often changed to DC and then back to AC so it can be equalized and match the frequency of the grid.  Crap load of losses there.  I often drive past and through a wind farm.  At any point in time, it's fairly typical half of them aren't running.  Why I have no idea as some of them are running.  Orientation?  I would hate to live near one.  They are butt ugly and loud which is why they are located away from populated areas.  The further your generation is away from point of consumption, the more losses you will have.

Nuclear is the cheapest form of generation.  It also comes with the largest environmental liability.  The smallest part of a nuclear facility is the reactor.  They are fairly small.  The largest part of the facility is the storage of spent rods.  They need to still be cooled for decades and remain dangerously radioactive for 10,000 years.  Well beyond any expected life of any facility housing them.

• Like 1