Proposed wind farm in my town.

First-light

15 hours ago, Chef said:

Why are you against the future? Reliance on fossil fuels will put America behind the 8 ball. We need to be in the forefront of development not lagging behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do liberals all follow the same way of thinking lol 

With fossil fuels ,the saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it “applies here .

Drive through Wyoming county,beautiful scenery ,until you see all the windmills .Most unsightly thing ever .Yet ,the same liberals want all land free and clear of man kind and remain “wild”yet they want to implement this garbage .The hypocrisy of these types blow my mind more and more each day 

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

With fossil fuels ,the saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it “applies here .

Drive through Wyoming county,beautiful scenery ,until you see all the windmills .Most unsightly thing ever .Yet ,the same liberals want all land free and clear of man kind and remain “wild”yet they want to implement this garbage .The hypocrisy of these types blow my mind more and more each day 

They're very inefficient as well . Elon musk just said in an interview that solar panels are maxed out ,they can't get any better . The only solution is to add more , me personally i think solar panels are more ugly then the windmills ,i could see windmills getting more ugly when every hillside is covered with them. 

56 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

liberals have high rates of mental problems  maybe that is why.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

They're very inefficient as well . Elon musk just said in an interview that solar panels are maxed out ,they can't get any better . The only solution is to add more , me personally i think solar panels are more ugly then the windmills ,i could see windmills getting more ugly when every hillside is covered with them. 

I seen houses in the city of Buffalo with there roofs covered in them .Imagine removing them when you have a roof leak or need the roof replaced ?Like said above ,they make a big deal about how fracking pollutes ,yet battery’s and harmful for the environment,windmills are not biodegradable ,ect.

• Like 1

I seen houses in the city of Buffalo with there roofs covered in them .Imagine removing them when you have a roof leak or need the roof replaced ?Like said above ,they make a big deal about how fracking pollutes ,yet battery’s and harmful for the environment,windmills are not biodegradable ,ect.

Fracking doesn’t fit their agenda, fracking is clean compared to lithium mines, 500,000 gallons of polluted water per ton mined!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, G-Man said:

Wind turbines are hugely inefficient.  You could eliminate all the wind turbines in nys by simply adding 1 turbine to robert moses hydro project.. the are funded by 1 million dollar subsidiaries per wind mill.. 

Hell, install two. Worth it to eliminate windmills.

4 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

I walked away from a really nice addition last year for a good client when we hit an impasse on who and how much to remove and reinstall panels since we had to tie in back up the roof line. The original solar company already out of business in 2 years and the quote was more then the original package from someone else to do that work. And I wasn't touching it and not getting involved.

Works still not done and they didnt renew a permit, so no one else wants to deal with it either. 

Any energy policy that makes America reliant on foreign owned mines to provide essential rare earth minerals is a non-starter in my book. Add in the costs of upkeep and dismantling them at the end of their eyesore of a life, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I agree that clean energy is a priority. These things are not the answer. Just another way for folks to line their pocketbooks at the expense of the everyman.

• Like 3

I walked away from a really nice addition last year for a good client when we hit an impasse on who and how much to remove and reinstall panels since we had to tie in back up the roof line. The original solar company already out of business in 2 years and the quote was more then the original package from someone else to do that work. And I wasn't touching it and not getting involved.
Works still not done and they didnt renew a permit, so no one else wants to deal with it either. 

House solar panels are the biggest rip off going!

Unless you have the cash to buy them outright “still a terrible investment but better than the rent to own route.”

I’ve been looking at houses and houses with solar contracts are selling for 5-10% less than ones without. Most of these contracts have been sold to 2 or 3 companies since the original. The contracts stay with the houses.

When I was in Nebraska last year, there were large ranches covered up with those eye sores. When the sun went down, all you could see in the black night were long lines of reds lights destroying the night skies. The outfitter told me that there was a full time employee whos only job was to pick up dead birds and get rid of them before the do gooders or reporters found out about them.  The locals hate those windmills, they are being forced upon them by the companies and ranch owners looking for the money. Unfortunately, the wind mill companies know to install them where the rural population is extremely low and the locals don't have enough of a voice to stop it. 

When driving  back to camp, we looked up in the night sky to see a sting of 64 satellites passing over us in low earth orbit. My guide thought we were being invaded by aliens as he had never seen this before, lol. I told him that they must be part of Elon Musk's SpaceLink project.

I never thought my Nebraska hunt was going to be part of a  movie script from Back to the Future.

I'm not a fan of what's in front of us if this is what we can expect. New Yorkers should take a close look at what's happening in the midwest before they let this go too far here. There is a reason why New Jersey is allowing them 15 miles off the coast, so only fishermen and freighters will see them.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1

When localities were banning fracking Albany was all for home rule and many towns passed local laws to restrict fracking. Many localities have also passed local laws to restrict wind farms, but large projects can get go through a state process where locals have almost no say and the local laws are meaningless. Town of Howard residents are probably screwed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

No subsidies for it , at one time we had another whole  power plant in the gorge  best and most efficient engery producer :  

Must be referring to the one that collapsed into the river the 50's, run by Niagara Mohawk.

On 4/3/2021 at 7:02 PM, First-light said:

So my Town of Howard has a 27 turbine wind farm existing right now. Prattsburgh wind (Terra-Gen) whats to bring it a step further. They are proposing 32 wind turbines for the the towns of Howard, Prattsburgh, Avoca, Cohocton and Wheeler. Now the existing turbines in NYS are 350' foot tall. You all have seen them. Terra-Gen is bringing in 650' turbines. NYS is going to allow this. My property is in the middle of protected wetlands where in the past NYS would not allow drilling or such. My neighbors aren't that lucky. Could you imagine a 650' turbine 2500' from your house? I can't. I am including a link to howardlandowners.org. If you are against this type of development please sign the petition. 

Thank you,

First Light (Burt)

Howardlandowners.org (please copy and paste)

Hi Burt, My name is Bob. I am the organizer for the Howardlandowners coalition. Thank you for your post. I hope you received our mailer. I also live in Howard and I am in the middle of this cluster. I will have 2 turbines 2400' from my house. Can't imagine sitting in my tree stand with all the noise and shadow flicker that will be coming. Not only signing the petition is important but attending board meetings is big. Battling this type of project is like fighting goliath. Rural life is disappearing. Big industry coming to small towns and taking advantage of people. The town board is clueless. If you would like to contact me please do. Howard has done it's part for renewable energy. Already 27 turbines.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, First-light said:

Chef,

I appreciate your question. I'm not against progress and eliminating fossil fuel. I once had a lease signed with a wind farm company. I was going to do it but my area was protected and it was canceled. In the end I thanked my lucky stars because they wanted my property for a laydown area. Trailers, porta poties and equipment. Why doesn't NYS put the turbines on State property? I'm seeing rural areas being divided, once friend now enemies, in the name of greed. These new turbines are 650' tall. What a great way to ruin rural life. These are 6.5 MW turbines. Leases usually pay 4k per 2.5 MW. These turbines are just too big for my backyard!

Well said. That is exactly the problem. Visual pollution is horrible. Check out some of the video's from Howardlandowners.org site to see why turbines should not be placed near people. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:18 PM, WNYTRPR said:

Propaganda ,most people fall for it which is sad.

21 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Do foxes and coyotes hang out near the wind turbines to scavenge the birds that are killed ?

Should the owners of the wind turbines be held liable for protected birds that are killed ?

They really don't leave any stone unturned during the "article 10 process". Landowner is not responsible. Studies will take place, DEC is involved along with other jurisdictions. It takes years for the State to approve the "article 10 process".

Good or bad the state is approving the wind turbines. Now we have 27 turbines existing in the town. Each one is appx. 350' tall. The new ones 650' tall. X2 all the things wrong with wind power we have now in our town!

Article 10 Law

ENACTED ARTICLE 10 STATUTE:

On August 4, 2011, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo signed into law Chapter 388 of the Laws of 2011 that enacted Article 10 of the Public Service Law.

Article 10 provides for the siting review of new and repowered or modified major electric generating facilities in New York State by the Board on Electric Generation Siting and the Environment (Siting Board) in a unified proceeding instead of requiring a developer or owner of such a facility to apply for numerous state and local permits.

A previous version of such a law expired on January 1, 2003. Key provisions of the new law include:

• 1. Defines a major electric generating facility as facilities of 25 megawatts or more;
    2. Requires environmental and public health impact analyses, studies regarding environmental justice and public safety, and consideration of local laws;
    3. Directs applicants to provide funding for both the pre-application and application phases. It allows funding to be used to help intervenors (affected municipalities and other parties) hire experts to participate in the review of the application and for legal fees (but not for judicial challenges);
    4. Requires a utility security plan reviewed by Homeland Security and, for New York City (NYC) plants, NYC's emergency management office;
    5. Provides for appointment of ad hoc public members of the Siting Board from the municipality where the facility is proposed to be sited; and,
    6. Requires a public information coordinator within the Department of Public Service to assist and advise interested parties and members of the public in participating in the siting process.

29 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Hey Burt, do you have to live in Howard to sign the petition? I don't live in Howard, but I'm close enough that in the distance, I can see the existing windmills from the end of my road.

You can sign. Thank you Jerry. 

1 hour ago, First-light said:

They really don't leave any stone unturned during the "article 10 process". Landowner is not responsible. Studies will take place, DEC is involved along with other jurisdictions. It takes years for the State to approve the "article 10 process".

Good or bad the state is approving the wind turbines. Now we have 27 turbines existing in the town. Each one is appx. 350' tall. The new ones 650' tall. X2 all the things wrong with wind power we have now in our town!

Article 10 Law

ENACTED ARTICLE 10 STATUTE:

On August 4, 2011, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo signed into law Chapter 388 of the Laws of 2011 that enacted Article 10 of the Public Service Law.

Article 10 provides for the siting review of new and repowered or modified major electric generating facilities in New York State by the Board on Electric Generation Siting and the Environment (Siting Board) in a unified proceeding instead of requiring a developer or owner of such a facility to apply for numerous state and local permits.

A previous version of such a law expired on January 1, 2003. Key provisions of the new law include:

• 1. Defines a major electric generating facility as facilities of 25 megawatts or more;
    2. Requires environmental and public health impact analyses, studies regarding environmental justice and public safety, and consideration of local laws;
    3. Directs applicants to provide funding for both the pre-application and application phases. It allows funding to be used to help intervenors (affected municipalities and other parties) hire experts to participate in the review of the application and for legal fees (but not for judicial challenges);
    4. Requires a utility security plan reviewed by Homeland Security and, for New York City (NYC) plants, NYC's emergency management office;
    5. Provides for appointment of ad hoc public members of the Siting Board from the municipality where the facility is proposed to be sited; and,
    6. Requires a public information coordinator within the Department of Public Service to assist and advise interested parties and members of the public in participating in the siting process.

New Laws are now under law 94C. Article 10 is gone. Environmental activities are much different. They want to cram this stuff in asap. 94C does not require much DEC . / Sequra environment reviews. It has to be in local laws.

• Like 1