Looking for a nice SxS for $1000?

I agree.  I have a nice 28 gauge SxS now, but the ammo isn't cheap and for me is really a specialty gun for grouse hunting.

I was thinking about getting this SxS in .410 to upgrade from my 2.5 inch .410 single shot, but ammo isn't cheap and it would be something I'd want but don't really need.

I'm thinking hard about a 20 gauge SxS for general small game use from pheasant to rabbits, with squirrel and pigeon in between.  I have an old Remington Sportsman 48 in 20 gauge right now, but it is a really well broken in work horse that has a fixed open choke.  This SxS has captured my eye.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

I agree.  I have a nice 28 gauge SxS now, but the ammo isn't cheap and for me is really a specialty gun for grouse hunting.

I was thinking about getting this SxS in .410 to upgrade from my 2.5 inch .410 single shot, but ammo isn't cheap and it would be something I'd want but don't really need.

I'm thinking hard about a 20 gauge SxS for general small game use from pheasant to rabbits, with squirrel and pigeon in between.  I have an old Remington Sportsman 48 in 20 gauge right now, but it is a really well broken in work horse that has a fixed open choke.  This SxS has captured my eye.

How about the CZ's? They make a great one for about 600 and a really nice looking one for around 1000

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

How about the CZ's? They make a great one for about 600 and a really nice looking one for around 1000

I have a CZ SxS.  The TriStar has better quality wood and blued steel barrels.  The CZ has coated barrels.  The TriStar is of a little higher quality.

The Turkish firearm manufacturers are rapidly replacing Spain and Italy as the number 1 producers of high quality entry level and mid priced side by side and over and under shotguns. They are also making serious inroads with rifles and handguns. I own both Tri Star and CZ firearms and have nothing but high regards for both their quality and performance.

Al

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 6:45 AM, airedale said:

The Turkish firearm manufacturers are rapidly replacing Spain and Italy as the number 1 producers of high quality entry level and mid priced side by side and over and under shotguns. They are also making serious inroads with rifles and handguns. I own both Tri Star and CZ firearms and have nothing but high regards for both their quality and performance.

Al

I owned some DeHanns made by Huglu in Turkey.

Very high quality for the price.

Unfortunately CZ bought the production out and eliminated some of the nicer options.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:26 AM, Grouse said:

Winchester Super X in 28ga has 1oz of shot at 1205fps, only 10fps behind 20ga high brass.

Mine was deadly on pheasants out to 35+ yards.

She is a beauty, I am a big fan of SxS doubles, for me there is nothing like the tradition, nostalgia and elegance of a side by side double for hunting small game. Before I croak I would like to own a small gauge detachable sidelock double.

Al

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

You said nice. Impossible to get a nice one for 1000 bucks. Too much work involved. For that money it may look ok but pattern it and watch where separate barrels hit. Often not aligned properly

My DeHann S/S printed both barrels precisely at the same point. In fact, they guaranteed they would. The interior finish was also top notch. The Turkish shotguns perform way above their price point.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...