Crossbow Failed Again

mike103

Honestly in my opinion, biting off more than they can chew, should just be going after it to be classified as archery equipment , and mandatory bow course required. once done then can work on restrictions,full inclusion, same as compounds did to get lighted pins, releases , high let off.  

• Like 1

They passed to where younger hunters 12 and older can now hunt big game. That's awesome!

But for older hunters, who can no longer draw a bow, you're SOL.

Oh well, it is what it is. Not surprised at all, given how nothing NY does makes sense anyways.

Thanks again to Rick McDermott and the Crossbow Coalition, for giving it their best shot.

• Like 4

Crossbow can still be passed thru seperate bill , was just cut out of budget proposals.   But as I said i believe simply getting it made archery equipment and require archery course should be main focus,  weight and limb restriction should be addressed later time. Imo

Edited by G-Man

I have a different take on the whole issue.

I don’t mind the season as is. The last thing I need is a longer season. 

But two issues that bother me are the xbow  restrictions, weight and size. Ridiculous. And the ban in Suffolk country.

If I could buy a modern Xbow and use it in my county I would be happy. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Too busy passing important things like marijuana legalization and covid restrictions to be bothered. :negative:

And figuring out where they are going to make all the cuts they are going to have to make. This budget is going to be a disaster. Some of the cuts they are suggesting making is just going to result in BIG tax increases AND reduced state aide to many. Except of course for the underprivileged, illegals, and additional migrants headed this way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mike103 said:

I have a different take on the whole issue.

I don’t mind the season as is. The last thing I need is a longer season. 

But two issues that bother me are the xbow  restrictions, weight and size. Ridiculous. And the ban in Suffolk country.

If I could buy a modern Xbow and use it in my county I would be happy. 

There are a ton of modern legal crossbows that fit nys regs.  As for ban in Suffolk that has to be addressed at county level

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

There are a ton of modern legal crossbows that fit nys regs.  As for ban in Suffolk that has to be addressed at county level

Tenpoint makes special bows every year just for NY. I spoke to a tec at Tenpoint and they think it’s stupid. So do I.

Suffolk county has asked for Xbows to be legal every year for several years now. But the state because of the NYS bowhunters Ass. Say no every year. 

On 4/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, mike103 said:

But two issues that bother me are the xbow  restrictions, weight and size. Ridiculous. 

This is what i am here for, kinda silly to me. but what can you do. 

So i am guessing this didn't make it in either, that sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, Lucky118 said:

Stop shooting doe. And when they are so overpopulated  and smashing  up snobs BMW's  Crossbows will be legalized with no problem lol

This is not common sense. Let’s say does did over populate, offering more doe tags or longer season would work just fine. Most of the crossgun folks would use a riflw anyhow if given a choice. Trying to justify ridiculousness ain’t working 

Edited by Foggy Mountain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm fine with the current Crossbow season as is . I'm not a Bow hunter , never been but I did become a Crossbow Hunter (if there is such a thing) in the last few years and am grateful to be in the woods 2 weeks before gun opener . I only hunt my property so what I do affects no one , the hunting population where I hunt has dropped dramatically over the years and I seldom have Trespassers these days if any ! I also like the extra week after gun closes as I don't shoot muzzleloader ! I'm also looking forward to the extra Holiday Hunting week , I believe that's also bow - crossbow - muzzleloader ? 

• Like 1

Hunter numbers aren't what they used to be. The Orange Army from Long Island has shrunk drastically. Local hunter flop houses around here cater to hikers and leaf peepers now. I remember seeing nothing but orange coats and pickups, now I think you'd feel outta place with a blaze orange coat and a rifle amongst hiking boot hotties and their man friends who drive Beemers in any of these Bed n Breakfast places

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

This is not common sense. Let’s say does did over populate, offering more doe tags or longer season would work just fine. Most of the crossgun folks would use a riflw anyhow if given a choice. Trying to justify ridiculousness ain’t working 

So you would rather shoot deer with a rifle than a crossbow?

No I’d rather shoot deer w a mans bow. If harvest objectives need to be met there are other ways. If you’re so into using crossbows use them rifle or muzzleloader season. Bet not one bow hunter would object. See you want to infringe on others making things sporting using a real bow but now you won’t make things sporting yourself using them rifle season. Have at it, raven says 100 yards is good so you should have no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And if you want to know the honest truth I like my rifles too. I’d much rather carry a rifle than do aerobics exercises shooting a crossgun. But I’d only shoot rifle during the rifle season. We can have both. We even have a crossgun season so why push to take over someone else’s season than be incredulous when you see opposition. Ever hear of the saying guys don’t know what they don’t know? It’s pretty obvious the crossgun crowd is part of that. 
The most important thing to offer someone is consideration. Are you considering anyone but yourself? I’d certainly consider anyone seriously injured but “full inclusion” isn’t that. Stop with the smoke screens they aren’t thick enough to block our view

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 4:50 AM, Foggy Mountain said:

The majority of the population density issues are in areas with limited access and in close proximity to residents. The cross BOW is the ideal tool to achieve the management goals. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, grampy said:

They passed to where younger hunters 12 and older can now hunt big game. That's awesome!

But for older hunters, who can no longer draw a bow, you're SOL.

Oh well, it is what it is. Not surprised at all, given how nothing NY does makes sense anyways.

Thanks again to Rick McDermott and the Crossbow Coalition, for giving it their best shot.

i think they should make it legal for older hunters who cant pull the bow. Personally i dont agree with allowing crossbows outside of older people or people with shoulder problems. sure maybe a short 1-2 week season before gun season. the last thing new york needs is a bunch of new hunters that are to lazy to put the time in with a real bow out there flinging shots at 60 yard with a cross bow

On 4/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Foggy Mountain said:

And if you want to know the honest truth I like my rifles too. I’d much rather carry a rifle than do aerobics exercises shooting a crossgun. But I’d only shoot rifle during the rifle season. We can have both. We even have a crossgun season so why push to take over someone else’s season than be incredulous when you see opposition. Ever hear of the saying guys don’t know what they don’t know? It’s pretty obvious the crossgun crowd is part of that. 
The most important thing to offer someone is consideration. Are you considering anyone but yourself? I’d certainly consider anyone seriously injured but “full inclusion” isn’t that. Stop with the smoke screens they aren’t thick enough to block our view

Your long winded posts are meaningless

• Like 2