Crossbow Failed Again

mike103

On 4/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, Tylerdun9 said:

i think they should make it legal for older hunters who cant pull the bow. Personally i dont agree with allowing crossbows outside of older people or people with shoulder problems. sure maybe a short 1-2 week season before gun season. the last thing new york needs is a bunch of new hunters that are to lazy to put the time in with a real bow out there flinging shots at 60 yard with a cross bow

That is exactly.why crossbow needs to be made archery equipment so a course is required,help  to explain kill zones , shot placement plus is a course ma, are to lazy to take it ,  it's a travesty people think you can shoot it like a rife ,it arcs much like a arrow from a bow ,deflects the same and kills the same, nothing like a rifle at all.  At worse it should be a seperate tag with course required so dec can actually track what is being shot with cross bow vs muzzleloader 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 7:06 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Hunter numbers aren't what they used to be. The Orange Army from Long Island has shrunk drastically. Local hunter flop houses around here cater to hikers and leaf peepers now. I remember seeing nothing but orange coats and pickups, now I think you'd feel outta place with a blaze orange coat and a rifle amongst hiking boot hotties and their man friends who drive Beemers in any of these Bed n Breakfast places

actually archery hunter numbers are on the rise

• Like 1

Just a reminder to all you younger bow hunters, you won't be young forever. And there will come a time for most of you, when drawing your bow will become difficult. But your drive to be out in the deer woods, will still be as strong as ever! That, is when you will want to hunt with a crossbow. Believe me. There is no reason why the law couldn't have been changed, to at least allow those 55 and older to hunt the entire bow season, with a crossbow. Most of us have hunted for decades with our bows, and still want to participate. Hunting with a crossbow, is far better than sitting at home, wishing you could be out there. I feel that those who totally oppose crossbows, have thrown out with the wash, the ones who helped to mentor you. Just sayin....... We're older yes, but we ain't dead! And nothing makes feel more alive, than being in the early season deer woods!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

Just a reminder to all you younger bow hunters, you won't be young forever. And there will come a time for most of you, when drawing your bow will become difficult. But your drive to be out in the deer woods, will still be as strong as ever! That, is when you will want to hunt with a crossbow. Believe me. There is no reason why the law couldn't have been changed, to at least allow those 55 and older to hunt the entire bow season, with a crossbow. Most of us have hunted for decades with our bows, and still want to participate. Hunting with a crossbow, is far better than sitting at home, wishing you could be out there. I feel that those who totally oppose crossbows, have thrown out with the wash, the ones who helped to mentor you. Just sayin....... We're older yes, but we ain't dead! And nothing makes feel more alive, than being in the early season deer woods!

Well said, I concur. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, grampy said:

True That. And we have some that will continue to break the law on private lands rather than not being in the woods at all.    After the last few months and last nights joke on every news channel we have much bigger worries than a ticket for using a wrong weapon while deer hunting.               You will also hear more early and late shots now that they opened that can. People will say.. Oh didn’t that go thru as law now?  I saw a write up somewhere....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grampy said:

no disagreement here. Maybe the NYCC should here a little more about that from its members instead of trying to go for the moon shot and failing every year?

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

Please define "older"?

i should rephrase i guess, people who cannot pull a bow back. and not because they re too lazy to work out and get to a physical shape where they can pull one back. but someone who has an injury with a doctors note saying a shoulder problem or some sort of physical problem which makes them unable. i also believe there is a senior license which is either 65 or 70 years and old. outside of that i completely 100% disagree with crossbows all the way. to me if someone wants to get into bow hunting then they need to put in the time, thousands of reps, tuning your bow and arrows, etc. if someone is trying to be an "archery" hunter it should NEVER be as easy as looking in a scope and pulling a trigger. i refer to that as rifle hunting and there is a season for that. put it this way. if someone is to lazy to put in all the hours it takes to get deadly with a bow then they will definitely be to lazy to put in the hours it takes to track an animal they shot at 70 yards and gut shot it and are left with little to no blood trail

On 4/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, G-Man said:

That is exactly.why crossbow needs to be made archery equipment so a course is required,help  to explain kill zones , shot placement plus is a course ma, are to lazy to take it ,  it's a travesty people think you can shoot it like a rife ,it arcs much like a arrow from a bow ,deflects the same and kills the same, nothing like a rifle at all.  At worse it should be a seperate tag with course required so dec can actually track what is being shot with cross bow vs muzzleloader 

in my opinion i dont think they should be considered archery at all. sure youll have select bow hunters thatll make the switch and still practice good ethical shots. but i think the case more often will go to these orange army people who will just see an extended season. yes a course should 100% be mandatory in order to get a crossbow license, but i dont know im really bias against them because i just see alot of lazy uneducated unethical rifle hunters strapping up with a crossbow and wounding a lot of deer and probably being to lazy to find them even if they're dead. i all for a week season before rifle opens but i dont think in any case outside of physical injury or older again (65+) they should ever be allowed all bow season. again i am a very very bias opinion when it comes to these

On 4/26/2021 at 7:06 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Hunter numbers aren't what they used to be. The Orange Army from Long Island has shrunk drastically. Local hunter flop houses around here cater to hikers and leaf peepers now. I remember seeing nothing but orange coats and pickups, now I think you'd feel outta place with a blaze orange coat and a rifle amongst hiking boot hotties and their man friends who drive Beemers in any of these Bed n Breakfast places

thats the true problem! finding access is nearly impossible. ive personally knocked on over 100 doors over 5 years. only time ive ever gotten a yes was just to walk 50 yards threw someones back yard to access public land and that was the only yes ive ever received

21 minutes ago, Tylerdun9 said:

in my opinion i dont think they should be considered archery at all. sure youll have select bow hunters thatll make the switch and still practice good ethical shots. but i think the case more often will go to these orange army people who will just see an extended season. yes a course should 100% be mandatory in order to get a crossbow license, but i dont know im really bias against them because i just see alot of lazy uneducated unethical rifle hunters strapping up with a crossbow and wounding a lot of deer and probably being to lazy to find them even if they're dead. i all for a week season before rifle opens but i dont think in any case outside of physical injury or older again (65+) they should ever be allowed all bow season. again i am a very very bias opinion when it comes to these

That is certainly a lot of assumptions there. Lazy? Uneducated? Unethical? Wounding deer? Not looking for the wounded deer? 

The vast majority of crossbow hunters are "ALSO" bowhunters!! I just never think it's a good thing to talk down other hunters, who choose to legally hunt differently than you. 

• Like 9

I'm really amazed by the level of arrogance in this post and the choices of inflammatory words and generalizations in some passages.  For the elitist, I got news for you your dump smells just as bad as mine. 

For the record I'm 63.  Screw your old as I'm not infirmed and need no special considerations or help.  I'll do just fine even when I'm 65.

I did hunt recurve back in the day.  I can tell you I've heard half these arguments around when compounds came to be but the internet wasn't as mature back then for such community postings as we have now.  The transition from black powder sidelocks to in-lines pretty much went the same way.  And oh, just because you got a bow tag it doesn't mean you can actually hit a deer with any skill.

I've hunted bow, crossbow, shotgun/rifle, muzzle loader and have a great deal of technical confidence in all these genre and can prove it.  I'm not lazy and can beat most people half my age up and down a mountain.  I own my own property on a mountain and now have retired to live there deep in a woods.  I'm a firm believer of one shot, one kill and I rarely shoot twice and I'm pissed when I have to.  Never ever three times.

I do agree anyone doing crossbow should be required to take a course.  But we all know the course is only a starting point and doesn't mean you have any level of skill.  Only practice does that.   

I'm happy more people are getting into hunting and have mentored a few along the way.  I really don't care about the legal instrument they used.  The DEC did a poor job with the implementation crossbow.  Seems it's almost an after thought.  It really should be fixed in some form from where it is now.  It's an awful big woods and there's plenty of room for ethical hunters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

I'm really amazed by the level of arrogance in this post and the choices of inflammatory words and generalizations in some passages.  For the elitist, I got news for you your dump smells just as bad as mine. 

For the record I'm 63.  Screw your old as I'm not infirmed and need no special considerations or help.  I'll do just fine even when I'm 65.

ForsakenPlaintiveFirecrest-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, Tylerdun9 said:

You do realize nothing is grand fathers all those orange army.would have to take a course ,instead you let the orange army out uneducated and unqualified . To not.make it archery equipment and course mandatory you lust let more and more get involved and make bowhunter look bad as a bolt or arrow look the same

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, grampy said:

That is certainly a lot of assumptions there. Lazy? Uneducated? Unethical? Wounding deer? Not looking for the wounded deer? 

The vast majority of crossbow hunters are "ALSO" bowhunters!! I just never think it's a good thing to talk down other hunters, who choose to legally hunt differently than you. 

You mean unsuccessful for the most part bowhunters they were don’t ya? Man o man. Easy to twist things. Bowhunters bleed archery. Crossgun guys, well,  different cloth.  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

You mean unsuccessful for the most part bowhunters they were don’t ya? Man o man. Easy to twist things. Bowhunters bleed archery. Crossgun guys, well,  different cloth.  

I really hate to think there are elitist hunters out there with your mindset,  disgrace to all hunters. Sound more like a troll trying to screw with these threads then a hunter with an opinion. What is it that scares you elitist about the crossbow?  Is it that I will kill all your deer? I still till this day have not seen one valid and factual reason as to why not allow crossbow into full inclusion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

So you can't like both?  I took two deer with my bow this year and none with the crossbow, yet I hunted with both and enjoy both.

I don't see where I have to choose one or the other or why I can't be a good bowhunter if I also use a crossbow.  

• Like 4

Everyone I know who uses a crossbow are all or were “ bow hunters “. Either age and injury limited them to a crossbow , others just wanted to try something new . 

Let’s get over all this “ difficulty ,and thousands of shots to master a compound “ shall we ? I bought my first one in ‘88 and killed a buck that year and most since . That was with a single pin sight, flipper rest, a two blade Mangus on 2117’s ,  shooting fingers .

Todays with 85% let off ,drop away rests and all the other wiz bang stuff makes it simple ,for a newbie to shoot small groups from day one , I’ve seen it many many times . 

I know a lot of “ real bow hunters “ who pull their bow out for the first time just prior to and some after the season starts, few arrows and they’re good to, go .

• Like 6

thats the true problem! finding access is nearly impossible. ive personally knocked on over 100 doors over 5 years. only time ive ever gotten a yes was just to walk 50 yards threw someones back yard to access public land and that was the only yes ive ever received

If you sound half as ignorant while you’re asking permission as you do while you’re typing on here I’m not at all surprised with the trouble you’re having!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 3:20 PM, Tylerdun9 said:

Kind of telling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

HaHaHa....you're too funny! Not that it matters at all, but I've probably been killing deer with a bow, since before you were a twinkle in your mom's eye. Good try mister troll. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 4:20 PM, hueyjazz said:

For the elitist, I got news for you your dump smells just as bad as mine. 

I doubt that, I planted lilacs and lilies all around mine. It smells like a gas station bathroom with one of those deodorizer things.

so there.

17 hours ago, Nomad said:

Todays with 85% let off ,drop away rests and all the other wiz bang stuff makes it simple ,for a newbie to shoot small groups from day one , I’ve seen it many many times . 

I know a lot of “ real bow hunters “ who pull their bow out for the first time just prior to and some after the season starts, few arrows and they’re good to, go .

hard disagreement there. Sure you can start shooting nice groups at 20 yards flat footed in the back yards in shorts and tee shirt, but then understanding the mechanics and aim associated with doing the same on a 22* November morning in a tree stand are not the same. 

Additionally, having learned to ride a bike and then hoping on one after some time off is very different than just hoping on a bike in your 30's for the first time and racing around the block.