Crossbow Failed Again

mike103

hard disagreement there. Sure you can start shooting nice groups at 20 yards flat footed in the back yards in shorts and tee shirt, but then understanding the mechanics and aim associated with doing the same on a 22* November morning in a tree stand are not the same. 
Additionally, having learned to ride a bike and then hoping on one after some time off is very different than just hoping on a bike in your 30's for the first time and racing around the block.

I’m against full inclusion for completely selfish reasons but the aim and mechanics are the exact same no matter what the temperature or setting. Modern clothing makes being cold a thing of the past. Shooting a compound is easy! Shooting a compound well enough to kill deer is easy. Hitting a pie plate sized target at 40yds with a compound is easy. Being able to do it when a deer you want to kill has finally appeared in range is a mental challenge but the ones who can’t do it with a compound will likely blow the same shot with a xbow. Obviously it’s not as easy to shoot a compound as an XBow but the compound archery industry has had the goal of making archery easier since they first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

hard disagreement there. Sure you can start shooting nice groups at 20 yards flat footed in the back yards in shorts and tee shirt, but then understanding the mechanics and aim associated with doing the same on a 22* November morning in a tree stand are not the same. 

Additionally, having learned to ride a bike and then hoping on one after some time off is very different than just hoping on a bike in your 30's for the first time and racing around the block.

I can put my vertical bow away mid November take it out September of the following year and shoot the same 4" groups out to 25 yards and do the same with my crossbow. Where's the advantage. What you indicated above can hold true for any weapon. Being proficient with a weapon or what you guys deem the crossbow a more superior tool has no guarantee on killing a deer. Again, again, again what is so damn scary about crossbow into full inclusion? Will I kill all your deer? All I hear from the elitist are excuses, no facts. What is wrong with allowing a more proficient weapon into the bow season? You guys sound pretty selfish if you ask me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m against full inclusion for completely selfish reasons but the aim and mechanics are the exact same no matter what the temperature or setting. Modern clothing makes being cold a thing of the past. Shooting a compound is easy! Shooting a compound well enough to kill deer is easy. Hitting a pie plate sized target at 40yds with a compound is easy. Being able to do it when a deer you want to kill has finally appeared in range is a mental challenge but the ones who can’t do it with a compound will likely blow the same shot with a xbow. Obviously it’s not as easy to shoot a compound as an XBow but the compound archery industry has had the goal of making archery easier since they first came out.

You are spot on and thank you for your honesty.  I agree the only reason I can think of to not allow full inclusion is selfishness.  Again I agree, a certain weapon may make your shot easier but does not make you a better hunter. Shooting at a target and a live animal are miles apart.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

the mechanics are easy?

There's no draw in crossbow

There's no grip torque

There's no nock pinch

There's no dropping of the bow arm

There's peep alignment

There's no anchor point(s)

There's no 3rd axis on a site

There's a finite amount of time one can be in full draw

the list goes on...

Oh and now 40 yards is what the average archer is shooting out to with a compound? I've never taken a shot past 35 and I know many others would say the same

I honestly don't know if you're trolling or what here, but what in the???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

I can put my vertical bow away mid November take it out September of the following year and shoot the same 4" groups out to 25 yards and do the same with my crossbow. Where's the advantage. What you indicated above can hold true for any weapon. Being proficient with a weapon or what you guys deem the crossbow a more superior tool has no guarantee on killing a deer. Again, again, again what is so damn scary about crossbow into full inclusion? Will I kill all your deer? All I hear from the elitist are excuses, no facts. What is wrong with allowing a more proficient weapon into the bow season? You guys sound pretty selfish if you ask me. 

the difference is that I could give a crossbow to my 8 year old and he can hit bulls at 25 in 30 minutes. I cannot say the same for a compound. After he learns and practices every year for a few years? sure. Hence my ridding a bike comment.

that's the difference. An archer is and has to be dedicated. Archery is SUPPOSED to be a challenge. I've said it so many times I should just copy and paste going forward. I want my support to be pure and for those out there truly looking for a challenge. Insert obligatory comment about elderly and disabled.

btw, what does it matter to any of you if a trans male competes in women's sports? Doesn't effect you at all does it? 

• Haha 1

The truth is somewhere between these two points of view.  The hard fact is that a crossbow is still a bow and kills by causing blood loss.  It isn't a muzzleloader.  

Your 8 year old could shoot it, but not under any and all hunting conditions.  

You complain about repeating yourself, but here you are...

I respect the wish to have time in the woods without crossbows, but most of the arguments against them are flawed.  The only tangible drawback to full inclusion that I have seen in VT is how far idiots will shoot.  It leads to wounded deer and makes for lazy hunters.  I don't blame the crossbow for this, just stupid people.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Belo said:

the difference is that I could give a crossbow to my 8 year old and he can hit bulls at 25 in 30 minutes. I cannot say the same for a compound. After he learns and practices every year for a few years? sure. Hence my ridding a bike comment.

that's the difference. An archer is and has to be dedicated. Archery is SUPPOSED to be a challenge. I've said it so many times I should just copy and paste going forward. I want my support to be pure and for those out there truly looking for a challenge. Insert obligatory comment about elderly and disabled.

btw, what does it matter to any of you if a trans male competes in women's sports? Doesn't effect you at all does it? 

Who made that rule, archery suppose to be a challenge? Is that your take on it? It's just another tool to kill deer. Maybe I think crossbows a challenge compared to a gun, why should I be deprived of using a crossbow because you don't feel it's a challenge.

And please what the hell does males competing in woman's sports have anything remotely to do with crossbow inclusion, enlighten me please. You guys are killing me, but thanks for the chuckle.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Belo said:

the mechanics are easy?

There's no grip torque

There's no nock pinch

There's peep alignment

the list goes on...

Oh and now 40 yards is what the average archer is shooting out to with a compound? I've never taken a shot past 35 and I know many others would say the same

You're making shooting a compound hard on yourself. Stop over thinking it. Lol.

If you make the same mistake every time your point of impact will be the same. I am self taught with the bow, and am sure I don't shoot correct. But I do the same everytime so the results are the same.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Who made that rule, archery suppose to be a challenge? Is that your take on it? It's just another tool to kill deer. Maybe I think crossbows a challenge compared to a gun, why should I be deprived of using a crossbow because you don't feel it's a challenge.

Using this logic to Hell with any kind of special weapon Deer season, just have a Deer season and use whatever your preferred weapon of choice may be so then nobody will be deprived and left out.:D

Al

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Just Lucky said:

You're making shooting a compound hard on yourself. Stop over thinking it. Lol.

If you make the same mistake every time your point of impact will be the same. I am self taught with the bow, and am sure I don't shoot correct. But I do the same everytime so the results are the same.

i'm a solid archer, I've missed one deer. The point was not my skill set, but to point out the variables an archer has that a crossbow does not.

I forgot a few

typically a crossbow allows you to remain seated, many (not all) archers stand and shoot

bending at the waist not the arm in a treestand

20 minutes ago, airedale said:

Using this logic to Hell with any kind of special weapon Deer season, just have a Deer season and use whatever your preferred weapon of choice may be so then nobody will be deprived and left out.:D

Al

BINGO!

The over opinionated high white horse riding, britches up to their nipples anti crossbow guys on this site are the very reason hunting is in the declining state its in. You guys are worse than knee high sock wearing country club members who judge people by the amount of money they spend on their golf shoes or what they have parked out in the lot. I've seen this idiot crossbow argument and political arguments reduce membership in my gun club to 1/4 of what it was twenty-five years ago. I rarely go to meetings anymore and the several young members incl my son and friends I've gotten to join don't even go at all any more. Last meeting I attended was a bunch of bitter old men complaining about Hillary Clinton all night. I remember the days when we used to talk hunting, organize drives for deer, and talk for hours about guns, reloading, stands etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

And please what the hell does males competing in woman's sports have anything remotely to do with crossbow inclusion, enlighten me please. You guys are killing me, but thanks for the chuckle.

1. it's not a rule, but it is why archery was introduced as its own season. Specifically to allow hunters seeking more of a challenge to be able to pursue deer with a stick and string unmolested by bangs and booms. Same with mz. It's a fact.

2. You can use your crossbow from the the last 2 weeks or archery all the way through to the end of the mz season. Nobody said you can't challenge yourself with it.

3. I'm pointing out the fact that many on this board are all up in arms about trannies when it doesn't affect them at all. Which of course is the argument yall love to use about crossbows. Shutup it doesn't affect you. Am I right?

26 minutes ago, airedale said:

Al

Can't use that logic airedale, we all know that it doesn't matter what the neighbor does or what they use so why do you care?

Oh wait... 

5 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

The over opinionated high white horse riding, britches up to their nipples anti crossbow guys on this site are the very reason hunting is in the declining state its in. 

Factually incorrect as proved earlier in this very thread. Archery number and tags have been increasing.

The uneducated, thumb sucking, non-science believing nimrods like you are why the country is in the state that it's in.

9 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

The over opinionated high white horse riding, britches up to their nipples anti crossbow guys on this site are the very reason hunting is in the declining state its in. You guys are worse than knee high sock wearing country club members who judge people by the amount of money they spend on their golf shoes or what they have parked out in the lot. I've seen this idiot crossbow argument and political arguments reduce membership in my gun club to 1/4 of what it was twenty-five years ago. I rarely go to meetings anymore and the several young members incl my son and friends I've gotten to join don't even go at all any more. Last meeting I attended was a bunch of bitter old men complaining about Hillary Clinton all night. I remember the days when we used to talk hunting, organize drives for deer, and talk for hours about guns, reloading, stands etc.

lol we might be in the same gun club. Also stopped going to meetings for this same reason.  All politics all complaining. 

• Like 1

the mechanics are easy?
There's no grip torque
There's no nock pinch
There's peep alignment
the list goes on...

I’m well aware of the mechanics of shooting both a vertical bow and a crossbow. My point is shooting a compound is easy obviously not as easy as a crossbow but using the old “challenge” excuse is bullshit! You limiting yours left to only 35yds is a personal decision not an equipment decision.

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m well aware of the mechanics of shooting both a vertical bow and a crossbow. My point is shooting a compound is easy obviously not as easy as a crossbow but using the old “challenge” excuse is bullshit! You limiting yours left to only 35yds is a personal decision not an equipment decision.

if it's so easy, why do we need crossbows?

if it's so easy, why do we need crossbows?

Personally, the reason I’m against full inclusion is because I love the way it is now! I enjoy using different weapons and opening days! Crossbows give me another weapon and another opening day.

Last year I used my crossbow opening day then carried the longbow for the rest of archery but I looked forward to it and enjoyed carrying it.

56 minutes ago, airedale said:

Al

Except guns ,gun hunters are notorious for using unsafe woodsman ship and putting other hunters at danger.  

17 hours ago, Belo said:

An archer is and has to be dedicated. Archery is SUPPOSED to be a challenge. I've said it so many times I should just copy and paste going forward. I want my support to be pure and for those out there truly looking for a challenge.  

Challenge? Then why not restrict it to the bows in use when the 1st archery seasons started? There is ONE reason hunters choose to use a compound over recurve/longbow - because it is EASIER! Which is fine - just don't be a holy hypocrite about it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Al

Sounds like a good idea, where do I sign? I hunt to eat deer, me and my family really enjoy the healthy lean meat, any tool for the kill works for me. What you use to hunt has absolutely no bearing on my success. 

45 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Except guns ,gun hunters are notorious for using unsafe woodsman ship and putting other hunters at danger.  

OMG, the elitist stereotypes are so funny. Jeez. Hunters belittling other hunters, real classy, seems to be the norm among elitist.  Oh you forgot gun hunters are also lazy, dumb rednecks etc..did I miss anything..LMAO.