Crossbow Failed Again

mike103

Ever try and hold a crossbow up  for a minute with out a rest???  They both have disadvantages.  Less likely to hit a limb vertical than crossbow limbs horizontal..  bow far easier in a treestand 

Bullshit! Maybe the Old Xbows but not anymore. New bows are balanced much nicer and are much narrower with very minimal limb movement during the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Bullshit! Maybe the Old Xbows but not anymore. New bows are balanced much nicer and are much narrower with very minimal limb movement during the shot.

Those nice new ones are not nys legal.. I'm all for the limitations I have no issue with them 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

bow is def not easier in a treestand.  I set my xbow on the shooting rail and when a deer comes thru all i have to do is take off the safety.  And also that makes no sense saying its more likely to hit a limb - if you have branches that close to you in the stand you need to trim them for both either way. 

I need to practice every year with my bow. The xbow is one shot and out the door to be sure the scope is still on point.  That alone shows its easier to use.  It amazes me how anyone can think a compound or traditional is the same as shooting a xbow. Its like they never used one.  Ive helped people get into bow and xbow many times.  Xbow i can teach them in under 5 minutes and its bullseyes at 40, bow takes weeks of practice to get a good anchor and form and eye for it.  Can someone get a bow setup and hit the target - sure - consistancy usually requires some practice.  Only thing i can think of thats easier with a bow is getting off a second shot. 

so analogy here - whats easier - shooting a scoped 30-06 or shooting an open site 30-06 that is pulling 6-10#s of pressure on it.  

Well my stands don't have rails are not ladders and permanent stand that is best spot has 5 trunks your in middle of.. would you take that x bow in a hang on? Stand with no rail??  You apparently need a rest with your x bow.. ever still hunt with one?? Sorry bow is mush easier to carry and maneuver.  Plus you can get multiple shots ! 

As for weeks of practice to get anchor point no way ,I just watched a guy shoot 6 arrows with 5 killshots on his 1st 6 shots ever,20 yards  kisser button peep and pins force you to shoot exactly the same.. 

Edited by G-Man

17 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Well my stands don't have rails are not ladders and permanent stand that is best spot has 5 trunks your in middle of.. would you take that x bow in a hang on? Stand with no rail??  You apparently need a rest with your x bow.. ever still hunt with one?? Sorry bow is mush easier to carry and maneuver.  Plus you can get multiple shots ! 

As for weeks of practice to get anchor point no way ,I just watched a guy shoot 6 arrows with 5 killshots on his 1st 6 shots ever,20 yards  kisser button peep and pins force you to shoot exactly the same.. 

I dont need a rest its just easier - like the xbow.  I also use it for regular bow but still have to pick it up and draw it, xbow i dont. Even without a rail its a point and shoot. let me know when you try your rifle wiht 6-10#'s of pressure and open sights if its harder or easier.... Just your words alone prove my point- i need to have a kisser button, pins, peep and an anchor point.  Seems easy as a scope? 

and yes i have still hunted with one.  No more difficult than carrying a rifle and on ground level i dont have to draw it is a huge advantage with less movement. 

We will just have to disagree on this one. Dont see it at all. I cant even count the number of threads about crossbow hunters having issues with dialing in the xbow as compared to compound bow hunters- oh wait its the opposite...lol 

I guess if bow is easier for you then stick with it my man. Saves you having to buy more equipment. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Same old, same old, Yes this argument has been going on for years on this board and it is plain everyone participating is entrenched with their view of the matter. I got in on it myself years ago and said my piece and that was that. Seems like some have way too much time on their hands, I thought I spent too much time here with 2500 posts over a ten year period. That is squat compared to others with way less time as a  board member, some have many thousands of posts, unbelievable, got to get a life folks.

Spending more time doing some real hunting, shooting and fishing etc. and less of this keyboard hero arguing would be better for your soul and more productive and fun I think.

Al

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Draw when deer is behind a tree.  Same as when you move to get into position.. holding back.. tell that to a traditional archer..  let off is so high today a minimal amount of effort is needed..  have to lift and aim a crossbow when deer is in range as well..  

Almost all Xbow hunters started out or are also vertical bowhunters such as myself and have seen both types of hunting. Most die hard VB hunters have never spent any time in a stand with a CB so they speak without experience. They just have this imaginary picture in their minds that they base their decisions on. I've heard some of the most ridiculous assumptions made by the anti CB crowd as to effective range, accuracy etc.

58 minutes ago, G-Man said:

So no experiances with them at all and you know how much easier they are?? Smh ok

I see 8 year olds online shooting deer every year with them ,we either have an amazing crop of marksman headed towards adulthood or they're that easy to shoot.

Why limit yourself, so you personally draw the line at no rests? XBOWS are fine but using a rest is too much? I down use a rest either but from a stand I can generally get pretty damn steady with my elbows on my knee or my elbow against a tree,etc.

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

Ever try and hold a crossbow up  for a minute with out a rest???  They both have disadvantages.  Less likely to hit a limb vertical than crossbow limbs horizontal..  bow far easier in a treestand 

but you could use a rest... there's all sorts of them available https://www.boghunt.com/pods/tree-pods/treepod/1100476.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eaJBhDMARIsANhrQABuhB4HdF3XZW3-B2M9-XpiXZh2akmVsiuFdq6YzVJXKlzrdMgha74aArudEALw_wcB

Edited by Belo

Well I started this thread in April and did not check it all summer. Glad to see no one changed their minds.

So I’ll update my summer.

Struck out turkey hunting. Nephew got a nice one on DEP land.

Bought a Ruger Wrangler 22. Nice little handgun for only 200 bucks. Shot that a lot.

That got me in a Ruger mood so I shot my 10-22 and Mini 14. Fun to shoot guns.

Of course I shot skeet. Not very well but whatever.

Mowed the new food plot we planted on that little piece we bought surrounded by DEP land. Clover came in good. 

Have several bears on camera. I’ll try for one on Saturday. 

As for crossbows I’m done talking about them. Not buying a new one. My Tenpoint Titan is fine. Killed two bucks with it. One good one and one small one.

So that’s it. I’ll let you guys get back to the same old same old. 

Good luck hunting. 

As the kids say peace out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

But you have no problem using that word to hurt people, maybe even a close friend, when under the influence of the demon cider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So you're having a vaginal flare up? Ah, I get how that works now. :laugh:

Not a single person I know follows those stupid regulations. I was at a bow show last week and not one NY legal Xbow in the shop when I asked he said because I can’t give them away.

I have 2 nys legal  ,so yes people do follow regs.

Not a single person I know follows those stupid regulations. I was at a bow show last week and not one NY legal Xbow in the shop when I asked he said because I can’t give them away.

Around here the DEC is more than happy to write tickets to those that use illegal crossbows. Know a few that have gotten dinged. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

But you have no problem using that word to hurt people, maybe even a close friend, when under the influence of the demon cider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was also under the influence ,I know it doesnt make it right ,things were said that night that cant be taken back. 

This crossbow issue is "AGAIN" getting pretty redundant. Running over the same old ground, over and over, really serves no purpose to anyone. Just more silly phrases and words from both sides. And I'm just as guilty as anyone else.

If full inclusion passes in the future, it is what it is. Won't really make much difference to most participating in this, and all the many other crossbow threads we've had here.

So if you want to use a crossbow during whatever time it's legal to do so, go ahead, no problem. It's not hurting anyone.

And if you wouldn't be caught dead with a crossbow, that's fine too! You also won't be hurting anyone. Buy a new bow and be happy! 

Hunt the way YOU want!!!  Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.

Guess I'll spend more time getting ready to hunt. After all, aren't we are all, actually just hunters?

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

This crossbow issue is "AGAIN" getting pretty redundant. Running over the same old ground, over and over, really serves no purpose to anyone. Just more silly phrases and words from both sides. And I'm just as guilty as anyone else.

If full inclusion passes in the future, it is what it is. Won't really make much difference to most participating in this, and all the many other crossbow threads we've had here.

So if you want to use a crossbow during whatever time it's legal to do so, go ahead, no problem. It's not hurting anyone.

And if you wouldn't be caught dead with a crossbow, that's fine too! You also won't be hurting anyone. Buy a new bow and be happy! 

Guess I'll spend more time getting ready to hunt. After all, aren't we are all, actually just hunters?

That's all well and good but none of it gives me any ammunition to entertain myself on this forum LOL

32 minutes ago, grampy said:

I know this other place that likes to talk hunting and the outdoors in general. I hear the staff there doesn't much tolerate a bunch of bickering.

I tried to bring some comic relief to this and a few other threads, but when folks can't see past their nose it's hard for them to get humor.

• Like 1