A Case Of Do As I Say Not As I Do

New York has a residential burn ban in effect from March 16th thru May 14th.

City of Albany
Albany County
Prescribed Burn:
 On Mar. 22 and 23, DEC Forest Rangers, along with staff from the Albany Pine Bush and volunteer firefighters, conducted two prescribed burns at the Albany Pine Bush, encompassing a total of 28 acres. These burns were conducted in high-quality, inland pitch-pine scrub-oak barrens near the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center, an area known as Karner Barrens East. These burns are conducted to maintain this globally rare, fire-dependent ecosystem, improve habitat for a number of rare, threatened, and endangered species such as the Karner Blue Butterfly, and reduce wildfire risk.

Forest Rangers Monitoring the edge of a prescribed burn in the woods
Controlled burn at Albany Pine Bush

Forest Ranger stands at the edge of a prescribed burn in the woods
Forest Ranger Cowart monitors controlled burn at Albany Pine Bush

Town of Lysander
Onondaga County
Prescribed Burn:
 On Mar. 25, Region 7 Forest Rangers, along with DEC Wildlife staff, Albany Pine Bush staff, and DEC volunteers, conducted a prescribed burn to treat 44 acres of grassland on the Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area (WMA). The prescribed burn will improve grassland habitat for multiple bird species and mammals and may also help reduce the tick population in areas frequently used by upland game hunters with dogs.

Forest Rangers and other staff line up for a photo at the edge of the woods before a prescribed burn
Three Rivers WMA prescribed burn

fr033004.jpg
Forest Ranger Oldroyd at Three Rivers WMA prescribed burn

But realize that doesn't count a "contained" campfire as long as your cooking.  

Contained means a fire pit that keeps the fire from spreading, and if your cooking.  Fire chef in my area said make sure you have smores ready to go. Lol

They do at least one burn there each year. A couple years ago they also took out a bunch of trees in one area so you can now see from I90 to Old State Rd. and vise versa. It's said they do it to stop invasive plants from taking over and to control the massive tick population in that place.

There's a few guys here who take decent deer outta there just about every year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DirtTime said:

They do at least one burn there each year. A couple years ago they also took out a bunch of trees in one area so you can now see from I90 to Old State Rd. and vise versa. It's said they do it to stop invasive plants from taking over and to control the massive tick population in that place.

There's a few guys here who take decent deer outta there just about every year.

Ya, they definitely opened that place up. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, mowin said:

Ya, they definitely opened that place up. 

It's rather comical to drive by the place and see tree stands here and there once in a while during the bow season. I've thought about laying in the horn, but never do out of respect for fellow hunters.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 9:46 PM, mowin said:

But realize that doesn't count a "contained" campfire as long as your cooking.  

Contained means a fire pit that keeps the fire from spreading, and if your cooking.  Fire chef in my area said make sure you have smores ready to go. Lol

That’s not correct in all places, I’ve dealt with hundreds of recreational fires, we used to tell folks the same thing back in the day , “ cooking fire .” We were wrong .

Most calls were for complaints of smoke bothering a neighbor  , but really they just don’t like you, they tried calling cops for the loud party ,but they’re backed up ,so they call us  . The FD does not handle air quality issues anyways , that’s a dept of a health issue . 

Our county , which I believe is based on state laws ,but not 100% sure, goes by this. Recreational  fires  in a container , can be 15 feet from a structure, just on the ground 25 feet, must be “ fire wood” not trash,used furniture and so on, must have a means to put it out ( a cooler of ice water was OK with me ...), must extinguish when done, bonfires require a permit .

You do not need to be “ cooking “ as you can legally have a recreational fire, but if that’s what works in your area , go for it .

Edited by Nomad

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

That’s not correct in all places, I’ve dealt with hundreds of recreational fires, we used to tell folks the same thing back in the day , “ cooking fire .” We were wrong .

Most calls were for complaints of smoke bothering a neighbor  , but really they just don’t like you, they tried calling cops for the loud party ,but they’re backed up ,so they call us  . The FD does not handle air quality issues anyways , that’s a dept of a health issue . 

Our county , which I believe is based on state laws ,but not 100% sure, goes by this. Recreational  fires  in a container , can be 15 feet from a structure, just on the ground 25 feet, must be “ fire wood” not trash,used furniture and so on, must have a means to put it out ( a cooler of ice water was OK with me ...), must extinguish when done, bonfires require a permit .

You do not need to be “ cooking “ as you can legally have a recreational fire, but if that’s what works in your area , go for it .

Its what our local fire chief told me. I have a campfire most weekends.  Not a hotdog in sight. Lol.  

Nearest neighbor is about 300' away, but most weekends were over to there fire or there over at ours.