Barred owl.

mowin

Don't hear too many Barred Owls in my area until spring. I use their call to get turkeys to gobble on the roost before dawn. 

Tonight I was sitting on my deck enjoying the stars, and the piece and quiet of mother nature. Few minutes later I heard a Barred owl a long way off. Truly enjoy the call of the Barred Owl. Called back, and got a immediate response. He, think it was a male because he would challenge my every call, kept getting closer, and cutting my calls off. Started cutting his call off with just a " whooo alllllll". Last time I heard him, he was close, like next to the house close. Unfortunately, Stella, my yellow lab decided that was close enough, and started barking. Game over. 

So looking forward to this turkey season.  It's my go to call to get a tom to reveal his location before first light. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stepped outside this morning just before 7:00. Nice & still when a woodpecker started down in the woods.

Immediately two Gobblers let loose. One was on the ground and the other sounded like he was still up.

I haven't hunted turkeys in quite awhile and probably won't this year either. The way this spring has been so far I think the foliage is going to pop big time in the next couple of weeks.

Bugs weren't to bad today while shed hunting but did find a tick or two. I expect by the end of the month the bugs will be bad also.

Still nice to hear a couple of loud gobblers on a still morning.

Edited by Steve D

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Stepped outside this morning just before 7:00. Nice & still when a woodpecker started down in the woods.

Immediately two Gobblers let loose. One was on the ground and the other sounded like he was still up.

I haven't hunted turkeys in quite awhile and probably won't this year either. The way this spring has been so far I think the foliage is going to pop big time in the next couple of weeks.

Bugs weren't to bad today while shed hunting but did find a tick or two. I expect by the end of the month the bugs will be bad also.

Still nice to hear a couple of loud gobblers on a still morning.

Ummmm..  if you close enough,  I'll hunt it. Lol.

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

Ummmm..  if you close enough,  I'll hunt it. Lol.

Looks like it only about four hrs. for ya!!!

A big reason I don't hunt it is the douche bag neighbor gets possessive because the birds roost on his property and cross over when they fly down. He will cross over but don't cross over on his. His son shot a bird 25 yards in front of me a few years ago.

The hassle just isn't worth it to me.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Looks like it only about four hrs. for ya!!!

A big reason I don't hunt it is the douche bag neighbor gets possessive because the birds roost on his property and cross over when they fly down. He will cross over but don't cross over on his. His son shot a bird 25 yards in front of me a few years ago.

The hassle just isn't worth it to me.

That sucks.   Sounds like your only option is to do nothing,  or be proactive and turn him in. 

Owl calls use to work well here in the 90s but now there are 15 or more owl calling every morning in earshot. I have better luck with elk bugle now, or peacock call, bonus is another hunter cant say oh I thought you were an owl when the walk in on your set up.

18 hours ago, mowin said:

That sucks.   Sounds like your only option is to do nothing,  or be proactive and turn him in. 

Thought about it but don't figure it's worth the hassles and bad feelings it when I can buy a turkey for around $1.49 per lb. or less. What really peeves me is when they push the limits during deer season and they have been made aware.

He will allow us on to track a deer if needed which is better than not letting anyone on. Every tree stand on his 45+ acres is right on or near the property boundaries facing away from his property.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Thought about it but don't figure it's worth the hassles and bad feelings it when I can buy a turkey for around $1.49 per lb. or less. What really peeves me is when they push the limits during deer season and they have been made aware.

He will allow us on to track a deer if needed which is better than not letting anyone on. Every tree stand on his 45+ acres is right on or near the property boundaries facing away from his property.

Sounds like a no win situation.   

Coon hunting in big woods many years ago, it was around 2 AM in the morning and I had just cast my dogs and found a nice comfortable spot to relax and listen for a strike under a big white pine that had a thick carpet of needles.

A couple of hundred yards away a Barred Owl started hooting, a few hundred yards away another Owl answered, then another from a different direction and another and another and another from all directions and distances. I put on a set of headphone hearing amplifiers and could still hear more Owls hooting a long way off, no telling how many there were in all but I believe I could hear at least a dozen different Owls spread out over a huge area.

What was going on I do not know, I hunted those woods many times and that was the only time I heard a bunch of Owls in concert, to tell the truth it was kind of creepy.

Al

• Like 1