NYC Visit

phade

Another vote for Carmines for Italian. 44th St. Times Square

For steaks, my two favs are either Smith & Wollensky at 3rd Ave and 49th (east side) St., or Old Homestead on 9th Ave at 15th St. (west side)

I know you didn't ask, but great Chinese at Mee Noodle Shop on Second Ave and 49th St.

Katz for pastrami and a knish. 

Oh, forgot.  While at 9/11 might as well stop inside The Oculus since you're already right there.  not worth walking around but great to take a picture outside and then once you enter right into the top balcony, a nice view of the interior and you're done.

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

In all my great experience do not forget to grab a dang slice of NYC Pizza and real friggin bagels. Two of the only reasons to go to that city! 

Ah yes bagels, I always went to Ess-A-Bagel on 3rd, near 51rst.   Great spot for a quick breakfast.  

Reading this, I am missing all my trips to NYC where is was all on a business account!   Might need to plan a weekend there with my wife just to re-live some of that glory.  

• Like 2

I’ve lived 15 miles from Manhattan my entire life and will be following Elmos tour with my wife over a few days this summer. She loves going to the city but I have no idea what’s down there or how to navigate it. Ive been on the subway three times in my life (only once I remember!).
Sounds like a great plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve lived 15 miles from Manhattan my entire life and will be following Elmos tour with my wife over a few days this summer. She loves going to the city but I have no idea what’s down there or how to navigate it. Ive been on the subway three times in my life (only once I remember!).
Sounds like a great plan

You’re not missing much.
1/2 of the restaurants are all closed, paranoid people walk around like zombies wearing 2 masks, homeless aggressively beg for $, kids smoke pot without any fear of getting arrested, cops are afraid of getting sued for doing their jobs, phony woke elitists defend BLM & I haven’t even mentioned the subway yet.
I would offer you my glock, only problem is it’s in a safe with trigger locks with ammo in a separate locked box.
Can’t wait to leave the shitty city.

• Like 2

Wow, I had a feeling I might get some good info here! I appreciate it.

Looks like we might try to do a steakhouse on Saturday for dinner and then maybe Italian Sunday. The guidelines around the streets and walking is going to help no doubt. It is tough with only a few days but we'll make the most of it!

20 hours ago, Elmo said:

First let me preface one thing.  There is always the "avoid tourist traps" warning.  But some times you have no choice.  Like The Eifel Tower is a tourist trap but if you go to Paris, how do you not go up the Eifel Tower?

Recommendations:

1.  After 9/11 Memorial, walk west to Broadway and then turn left and head north to City Hall.  Stay on the right side of City Hall to get a nice view of the Brooklyn Bridge.  You can walk halfway through the bridge and then turn back around.  It is a nice walk with good views but if time is an issue, it can be skipped.

2. The east side of City Hall is Centre Street.  Walk north on it till you get to Worth Street and then make a right.  Make a left on Mott Street.  On Bayard Street near between Mott and Elizabeth, there is the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory.  Try some of their unique flavors.  My favorite is Pandan.

3. Head back west towards Mulberry Street.  After you pass Canal, you've entered Little Italy.   Keep heading north on Mulberry till you get to Grand Street where you have Ferrara's  Bakery.  Tons of Italy dessert you take on the go.

4. Continue north till you reach Houston Street (it's pronouced House-Ton if you ask locals for direction) and then make a right and head east till you get to the corner of Houston and Ludlow Street.  Go into Katz Deli and grab a pastrami sandwich.  Moan like Meg Ryan did in "When Harry Met Sally".  Also, you've just walked through most of the Five Points if you want to get historical.

5. From there, grab a cab.  The surrounding neighborhoods there are more artsy and hipster.  I'm going to take a wild guess and assume your mother is not interested in seeing men with nose rings and stuff.  Excuse me if I'm wrong.  Cab it to 23rd and 5th Avenue.  There you have Madison Square Park and the Flatiron Building as well as the original Eataly (they opened a new one by the 9/11 Memorial which I haven't been to yet).

6. Walk north on 5th Avenue till 34th street where you have the Empire State Building, Macy's Heard Square (34th between 6th and 7th Avenue) and Keen's Steakhouse on 6th Avenue and 36th Street.  In my opinion, best steakhouse in the city.  Get the Porterhouse for 2.  Really great whiskey selection as well.  While I don't know their actual cut off in regards to dress code but I've gone there in jeans and sneakers on several occasions without any issues.

7.  End the night at Times Square.  It's not worth seeing during the day so best to come at night when all the lights are on full blast.

8. Carmine's in the UWS and Tony's on the UES are good.  Tons of food.  Just keep in mind that they're New York Italian food and not really true Italian food.

After Central Park and Museum of Natural History, what you're missing is Statue of Libery/Ellis Island tour which can be coupled with you "boat" tour even though that ferry doesn't really go around the city.  Musuem of Art (I think she'll really enjoy it.  They have an entire Egyptian Temple inside).

A tier below you also have the UN Headquarters and the Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum.  The Circle Line cruise is right next to the Intrepid so you can couple the two together.  If you want to stick in that area, walk north along the Hudson River.  They've complete rebuilt that pathway and it's very nice.  Especially north of 59th street but beware, the department of Sanitation is at 59th street so it get a little smelly right around there but once you pass it, it's a nice walk.  I also recommend The High Line.  Best to enter at 12th street and Washington Street and walk north till you get to end at 30th street.  This drops you off right at The Vessel.  I'm not sure if they've opened The Vessel again after several people committed suicide from jumping off of it but it's still nice to see from the bottom too.

The other note worthy stuff to see in the city are out of the way and with a limited time probably not worth committing such a long travel just for one site.  Cloisters (an extension of the Museum of Art devoted to Christian Renaissance art), Bronx Zoo (there is a Central Park Zoo but not as good as the Bronx Zoo), New York Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Bridge Park to name a few.

Thanks for all of the info - I'm starting to zero in on Carmine's on UWS for dinner Sunday - have to check if they are open/reservations. Short walk from the Natural History museum?

I don't know if we'll make it to the UN area; most of my past time in NYC was working there. Funny story, while I was never paid by the UN, I did alot of work for them when in HS and college. Enough so that I was an attaché for Kyrgyzstan for a week there in NYC when I was a senior in college; they put me up in the Marriott Marquis at Times Square. That group was insane - I mean like, "you want girls?" kind of insane. Dinners and meals were off the charts and barely any actual work. Telling me stories westerners wouldn't believe - that place is all about wealth gap and have vs have nots and this group was clearly in the "have." That week was a blur. Also spent two weeks in The Hague working in the ICJ and that was equally insane for different reasons. It's amazing how much stuff goes on in NYC everyday.

I enjoyed it, but there was no way I'd have a family life working in international relations. Changed majors and cest la vie.

Edited by phade

2 hours ago, phade said:

Thanks for all of the info - I'm starting to zero in on Carmine's on UWS for dinner Sunday - have to check if they are open/reservations. Short walk from the Natural History museum?

I don't know if we'll make it to the UN area; most of my past time in NYC was working there. Funny story, while I was never paid by the UN, I did alot of work for them when in HS and college. Enough so that I was an attaché for Kyrgyzstan for a week there in NYC when I was a senior in college; they put me up in the Marriott Marquis at Times Square. That group was insane - I mean like, "you want girls?" kind of insane. Dinners and meals were off the charts and barely any actual work. Telling me stories westerners wouldn't believe - that place is all about wealth gap and have vs have nots and this group was clearly in the "have." That week was a blur. Also spent two weeks in The Hague working in the ICJ and that was equally insane for different reasons. It's amazing how much stuff goes on in NYC everyday.

I enjoyed it, but there was no way I'd have a family life working in international relations. Changed majors and cest la vie.

I was offered a position with the US embassy to upgrade their networks.  They would fly the team to all their different embassies through out the world to upgrade them all.  At the time, I was in a relationship with someone whom I thought I was going to marry so I turned it down.  In the end, caught her cheating and I dumped her.  C'est La Vie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

Katz Deli for pastrami sandwich

Johns on bleeker for pizza

get a pretzel and hot dog from a vendor  

Go to chinatown and haggle for some stuff  

do the stuff that you cant do or get anywhere else  

If it's a "dirty water" hotdog, it has to be SaBretts.  Look for that sign on the street vendors umbrella.  Must have the onions on them if you're a true New Yorker.

Otherwise, go to Gray's Papaya on 72nd and Amsterdam and get the 2 dogs and a drink combo.  Make pina colada as the drink.  Very close to the Museum of Natural History so you can grab a quick bite before the Musuem and then save Carmines for after.  Nathan's is the last of the 3 hot dog triumphant of New York but it's all the way deep in Brooklyn.

Museum of Natural History is between 77th and 81st.  Carmine's is on 92nd.  Not too bad of a walk.

While in Chinatown, get an order of roasted duck.  The ones hanging on the windows.  They're awesome.  You can get them from where ever.  I usually get them from Noodle Town on the corner of Bayard and Bowery.

Because there are so many good eats near the museum but the food in the museum sucks and is over priced.

Good breakfast/brunch near the Museum.

Sarabeth's (high end brunch place)

Fred's

Good Enough To Eat

Pio Pio is a nice lunch/dinner spot but more for a group.  It's Peruvian food and the green sauce for the chicken is awesome.  Great sangria deals too.

Dessert places, Insomnia Cookies is really good but Levain Bakery has the best chocolate chip cookies hands down bar none.  In.the.world.  People would line up on the street waiting for a bacth to come out and yes, it's best to be eaten still warm.  Both places are one block from the Musuem.

• Like 1

Because there are so many good eats near the museum but the food in the museum sucks and is over priced.
Good breakfast/brunch near the Museum.
Sarabeth's (high end brunch place)
Fred's
Good Enough To Eat

Pio Pio is a nice lunch/dinner spot but more for a group.  It's Peruvian food and the green sauce for the chicken is awesome.  Great sangria deals too.

Dessert places, Insomnia Cookies is really good but Levain Bakery has the best chocolate chip cookies hands down bar none.  In.the.world.  People would line up on the street waiting for a bacth to come out and yes, it's best to be eaten still warm.  Both places are one block from the Musuem.

You know the upper west side well! Food sucks though. You know the East side has way better restaurants. Best Italian imho is Elios - 84th & 2nd. Carmines is family style & loud as hell. Prefer Benjamin’s for steak on 41st street & Madison.

• Like 1

Thanks. Open to steaks too, but looking to avoid dress code issues - we're packing light.

So I agree with Tommy on Eataly they are fantastic.

Le halles is a great place to get a steak with out a dress code Anthony Bourdain used to be the chef there it’s great.

You want great fast food check out Stickys Finger joint. Great home made chicken tenders

Carmines is a bit of a tourist trap but the food is amazing

Quality meats and quality Italian are both great. If you go to quality meats let me know the chef is a very good friend of mine. He will take care of you.

If you like Asian any of the Momofuku restaurants are great.... milk bar for desert..... David Chang is a bad ass chef... if anything watch him on Netflix before you go.

Pm me if you have any questions about NYC food

• Like 2

Another vote for Eataly, awesome place and very good food!  It's been a long time and I remember Carmines to be good and lots and lots of portions.  Other good places from a few years ago...Steaks: Quality Meats 58th and 6th, Le Relais de Venice 52/Lex (price fix steak and frittes) Uncle Jacks and/or Keenes Steaks near Madison Square Garden.  and for a real classic NY Steak experience try Smith and Wollensky 3rd and 49th st..   Italian: Carmines, Cassa Nonna (wood fired pizza) 38th between 8/9.  Too many other great Italian restaurants to list.....
When we did this for my brother we rented limos for the day.  It really was not too costly overall and we always had a car at our disposal and it really amped up the specialness of the trip for him.  Might be worth looking into even if for only one day of the weekend.  If it is just you and your Mom, a black car would suffice.  
IMO I would skip Chinatown and Little Italy.  If you want a better Italian experience, go to Brooklyn.

Quality meats chef is a very good friend... he came up working for me as a line cook

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

Quality meats chef is a very good friend... he came up working for me as a line cook

Small world! One of my former college students was a Director of Wine there a few years ago.  I think she moved on to a winery in Oregon now.  Anyway, she set me up with a meal and wine pairing that was out of this world! 

Small world! One of my former college students was a Director of Wine there a few years ago.  I think she moved on to a winery in Oregon now.  Anyway, she set me up with a meal and wine pairing that was out of this world! 

Was she Spanish ?