NYC Visit

phade

7 hours ago, UWShunter said:

You know the upper west side well! Food sucks though. You know the East side has way better restaurants. Best Italian imho is Elios - 84th & 2nd. Carmines is family style & loud as hell. Prefer Benjamin’s for steak on 41st street & Madison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always lived in the west side of the Bronx off the 1 line or in Washington Heights/Inwood area most of my life so I prefer the west side due to convenience.  The city doesn't make going cross town easy with going above ground.  Benjamins is good.  They're a Peter Luger style steakhouse which is different from the regular steak houses and I actually prefer Benjamin's over Peter Lugers.

Also, Churrascaria Plataforma is pretty good too for a different kind of steak house.  It's a Brazilian style steakhouse and it's all you can eat.  Their cheese stuffed bread is good too that it's dangerous because you will eat so much of the bread that you won't leave enough room for the different steaks that comes out dim sum style.  I once won a bet there that I couldn't keep my card on green for 20 straight minutes and my plate had to be clean before the next cart comes by during that span.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elmo said:

I've always lived in the west side of the Bronx off the 1 line or in Washington Heights/Inwood area most of my life so I prefer the west side due to convenience.  The city doesn't make going cross town easy with going above ground.  Benjamins is good.  They're a Peter Luger style steakhouse which is different from the regular steak houses and I actually prefer Benjamin's over Peter Lugers.

Also, Churrascaria Plataforma is pretty good too for a different kind of steak house.  It's a Brazilian style steakhouse and it's all you can eat.  Their cheese stuffed bread is good too that it's dangerous because you will eat so much of the bread that you won't leave enough room for the different steaks that comes out dim sum style.  I once won a bet there that I couldn't keep my card on green for 20 straight minutes and my plate had to be clean before the next cart comes by during that span.

I love Churrascaria! What a great place, but you better come with a real appetite!  That’s a three hour dinner, minimum.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, phade said:

Long story short, my mother is retiring soon and last week lamented the fact her reduced income will not afford her to see or do things she otherwise would pre-retirement. One of them being NYC, which she has never visited.

I'm taking her to NYC for the weekend to do a few of the usual tourist things. Staying in Manhattan close-ish to Times Square. Also looking for a restaurant between the 9/11 memorial and Times Square for lunch/dinner. I have not been to Little Italy/Chinatown before - is it worth a visit?

What dinner places are around the Natural History museum? Maybe Italian. Assuming reservations remain the norm for any in demand place? Also, what are the cultural protocols right now with the pandemic? People wearing masks walking outside in populated blocks?

I do not want to throw shade on your trip but there is a few things you should know before you go that they are not showing on news...  Was there last weekend and will never be back...  Stayed at the millennium times square where we have stayed in the past and they literally have homeless staying there on our dime. All restaurants and bars in hotel are closed( I wonder why)  ... There use to be 2 to 3 cops at every corner... We did not see a single cop... The heart of times square is very very sketchy right now and all the stores were closed by 8pm  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cbyzerman said:

I do not want to throw shade on your trip but there is a few things you should know before you go that they are not showing on news...  Was there last weekend and will never be back...  Stayed at the millennium times square where we have stayed in the past and they literally have homeless staying there on our dime. All restaurants and bars in hotel are closed( I wonder why)  ... There use to be 2 to 3 cops at every corner... We did not see a single cop... The heart of times square is very very sketchy right now and all the stores were closed by 8pm  

Appreciate the heads up - I almost booked that place due to the Hilton family, but opted for the Hampton Inn down the street. Not a surprise I guess. We'll make the best of it. 

27 minutes ago, phade said:

Appreciate the heads up - I almost booked that place due to the Hilton family, but opted for the Hampton Inn down the street. Not a surprise I guess. We'll make the best of it. 

Thank you for being a valued Hilton Honors member! 

The Tick Tock diner is located on the first floor of the New Yorker. That’s across the street from Macys at 34th and 8th. Excellent diner pretty close to that Hampton. 

Edited by Otto

11 minutes ago, Otto said:

Thank you for being a valued Hilton Honors member! 

The Tick Tock diner is located on the first floor of the New Yorker. That’s across the street from Macys at 34th and 8th. Excellent diner pretty close to that Hampton. 

LOL. Hilton Honors for the win. I'd say my work hotel stays are 90% Hilton and 10% Hyatt. 

This is my homebase...I've probably lived somewhere between 7-9 months of my entire life in this building.

r10_2x_1515419697-feb7a5b51a0caace-1515419695-e23a624631740997-1515419694956-17-HCP_moon_glow.jpg

r10_2x_1515419692-963dca83e139bdcf-1515419690-7fcea2944ec48799-1515419681967-15-Hilton_Front_Exte.jpg

• Like 1

#truth!

15 minutes ago, left field said:

Taxi/uber/limo for the door to door.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, phade said:

Door to door as much as possible....  As far as food i personally always thought NYC food is slightly overated...  Stay away from little italy, highly overrated...  As far as steak houses most are very overrated especially lugers unless you like there steak sauce which I dont...  Smith and wollensky is by far my favorite but the only thing that blew me away in NYC while eating is the chinese food and WO Hop being favorite...  Always thought you could get italian or steaks just as good anywhere else in the tri state area but not the chinese...   And sorry people Carmines is totally overated.......   

We're flying into JFK and out of LGA.
Part of me is debating just taking a taxi or Uber to Times Square from JFK vs trying the LIRR incoming...thoughts? Not sure about that part.

Uber 100%

Sounds like you are going to be exploring Manhattan but I'll throw this out there. We took my daughter and a friend of hers to the Bronx Zoo yesterday and it was a lot of fun.

And then head to Arthur Ave for Full Moon pizza?!? Or clams on half shell from Randazzos? Or sit down dinner at Zero Otto Nove?

• Like 1

And then head to Arthur Ave for Full Moon pizza?!? Or clams on half shell from Randazzos? Or sit down dinner at Zero Otto Nove?

I'll keep those places in mind for next time. After 6 hours at the zoo and two tired 12 year olds, we were back on the highway and headed home stat. We ordered some local takeout for dinner when we got home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

Arthur Avenue is great. You're driving through the Bronx thinking where the hell am I and then all of a sudden you come across a street that looks right out of Goodfellas. 

2 hours ago, MPHunter said:

No. The parking lots were full and it was packed.

There are a lot of people out. Restaurants may be down a bit but any outside venue like the zoo would be filled.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, Chef said:

So I agree with Tommy on Eataly they are fantastic.

Le halles is a great place to get a steak with out a dress code Anthony Bourdain used to be the chef there it’s great.

You want great fast food check out Stickys Finger joint. Great home made chicken tenders

Carmines is a bit of a tourist trap but the food is amazing

Quality meats and quality Italian are both great. If you go to quality meats let me know the chef is a very good friend of mine. He will take care of you.

If you like Asian any of the Momofuku restaurants are great.... milk bar for desert..... David Chang is a bad ass chef... if anything watch him on Netflix before you go.

Pm me if you have any questions about NYC food

We were going to go to Quality Meats tonight but all they have is outdoor dining!

Edit...we’re gonna do the outdoor dining. Heck the place looks good online!

Edited by phade
  • Like 1