African tribe try's modern compound bow for first time .

phantom

Cool video.. When the tribesman was lining up his first shot with the modern bow, man I thought the string was going to slap his arm. It's amazing to me that there are still people living that same traditional lifestyle the way that their ancestors did.

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 1

When I did my Hunter's Ed in the Bronx, I sat beside a South African guy who was new to the US. He had done a documentary on the last tribe in Africa that used elephants as their primary food source. He later did a talk at the Explorer's Club and brought some of their bows - multiple sticks lashed together with about 100 lbs of pull. 

As I recall they used poison and it took some time for an elephant to die.

Their lifestyle was phased out and some turned to poaching whereas others became game wardens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phade said:

Common language. Probably something they on either side will never forget. That type of interaction would be way more enjoyable to me on an African safari/hunt than actually taking game.

I have been unbelievably lucky in the hunting success end of things. But it's the whole trip and all the crew in camp, on the truck, in the field that is fun to be around. They're for the most part very engaging. Super serious as their craft on the hunting end. The trackers are simply amazing, it's extraordinary, I have learned just a ton from them. Changed my world.

I think I'm fortunate that I'm just a guy who drives nails for a living. I tell the PH's I have more in common with camp staff, then any of the typical clients most times. Lots of hunters never spend any time with "staff". Such a shame.

I hung out with some San bushman, it was great. NY guy i know who helps them out with the 2 government's of Nambia and Botswana set me up for 2 days.

You tube Attenborough Persistance Hunt. Same guys.

Ate a porcupine, not gutted, and roasted whole in the ground. It was "different".

Been lucky to not just spend all my time hunting. For most it's off the plane, on to camp, satellite connection to the office at night, back on the plane; and never see the rest of the world around you. I want to add a couple new species to my bird list and will be tickled pink to spend time on a major river to have a go at the more aquatic ones.(I'm around 250, but I dont get to see the summer/rainy season ones)

I just sent not an hour ago confirmations for 8th trip at beginning of October. I haven't slept 2 hours in the last 2 nights I still get so pumped. At this point I actually can't believe that I have been able to pull this off for so long. And a bunch of other stuff in between.

And

I dont care if I shoot a thing.

• Like 1