A Word Of Advise

Steve D

IF for whatever reason a handgun or actually any gun should come up missing REPORT IT AS STOLEN to the local authorities. !!!!!

I know a person that  recently had  a handgun that came up missing. After talking to a friend of his that is a state trooper he was advised not to report it until he could figure out what happened to it.

Lo and behold the pistol had been stolen from his truck by a 15 yr. old. The kid's  parents found it and reported it. The police came & got it and the owner was notified the gun had been found and was being held for evidence.

Recently the police knocked on his door and confiscated every gun that he owns AND notified him his permit had been  revoked. It is not known at this time if he has a way to try to get them back or to get his permit restored.

I know the likely hood of someone "misplacing" a firearm of any kind is highly unlikely but if one should become awol,  cover your tail and report it as stolen. If it should be found you can always report that you "found" it but not reporting it can cost you dearly.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

Not surprised his permit was revoked .

I have a friend who works for the “ firearms unit “ of a pretty large PD , he told me awhile back, part of his job was revoking permits . Curious , I asked what they would be revoked for ? His reply was “ guys lose a gun and don’t report it for like six months , and guys have them stolen out of unlocked vehicles, he said that’s just irresponsible.

3 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

Doesn’t sound like he was safe guarding his weapon. Deserves to get license revoked. Kid could have shot someone. Makes responsible gun owners look bad

Not saying it was right or wrong but the guy was at his girl friends house and the the gun was left in the truck where it always was.  It wasn't until a day or two later he realized it was missing. He thought he may have taken it out of his truck and couldn't recall where he placed it.

His mistake from my perspective is him not taking it with him or not locking the truck.

I am not sticking up for him at all but in all honestly I have left my vehicle un-locked and had a gun inside and it wouldn't surprise me to find out others have also.

Irresponsible or careless??? Maybe but I don't' think grounds for revoking a permit. If someone breaks into my house and steals a gun that I have under lock & key or not I should not have to forfeit my rights because of someone's opinion that it wasn't secured "properly".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, First-light said:

You're just an average guy not a lawyer!

Never claimed to be a lawyer..... Just trying to pass the word for others to be conscious of the fact that it can and does happen.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Every law is in place to ensure our safety. Well, that's what we're led to believe...Unfortunately, the good guys are usually the ones getting  screwed.  

In this case, he should have reported it. 

I can't remember ever where one of my guns were 100% of the time.  Never once had a thought if I misplaced one. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Lo and behold the pistol had been stolen from his truck by a 15 yr. old.

There are a number of places where you cannot carry your handgun.  The post office, government buildings, schools and businesses that ban carrying your handgun.   If you must enter these “gun banned” locations you either leave the handgun at home or leave it in your vehicle.

Does anyone have guidance from the New York State Police on how it should be legally stored in a locked vehicle?  Should it be unloaded, a trigger lock attached and hidden from sight?  Or is it going to be your fault entirely if some criminal steals the handgun or any firearm from your vehicle?

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

Not saying it was right or wrong but the guy was at his girl friends house and the the gun was left in the truck where it always was.  It wasn't until a day or two later he realized it was missing. He thought he may have taken it out of his truck and couldn't recall where he placed it.

His mistake from my perspective is him not taking it with him or not locking the truck.

I am not sticking up for him at all but in all honestly I have left my vehicle un-locked and had a gun inside and it wouldn't surprise me to find out others have also.

Irresponsible or careless??? Maybe but I don't' think grounds for revoking a permit. If someone breaks into my house and steals a gun that I have under lock & key or not I should not have to forfeit my rights because of someone's opinion that it wasn't secured "properly".

Obviously im not a lawyer but in court i think you would be better off if it was stolen from a locked gun safe and you reported vs. a guy who just leaves it laying in a truck like a pack of cigarettes and then don't report it missing. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mowin said:

The part that disturbing is the police came and confiscated ALL of his guns. He didn't point the gun at someone, rob a store, etc.  So why take all his guns?

Agreed. It seems punitive, but without the benefit of a fair hearing. But I also know guys who had their boats and fishing equipment confiscated because of drugs found on-board, so it's not unprecedented, either. NYS loves to play the take-away game.

• Like 1

I get it Steve , and I agree with others that taking his long guns was uncalled for . But look at this from the laws side, a presumably loaded gun was left in an unlocked? truck, and then when he couldn’t find it in the truck , he wasn’t even sure it was there to start with .

On gun forums , leaving handguns in vehicles is a hot topic , with most avoiding that as much as possible. Vehicles are broken into more then homes ,it easier ,safer and faster , then there’s the unlocked ones . I know one guy who leaves his unlocked and empty, because the addict down the street has broken his windows so many times . Oh and that’s in Pittsford btw . I don’t have time to list all the guys I know who’s vehicles have been broken into ,but it spans from  firehouse parking lots to Wegmans .

Most of my gun guy friends have bought console safes for their trucks , I use a lock box with a cable , for the rare times I leave it .

10 hours ago, ADK Native said:

There are a number of places where you cannot carry your handgun.  The post office, government buildings, schools and businesses that ban carrying your handgun.   If you must enter these “gun banned” locations you either leave the handgun at home or leave it in your vehicle.

Does anyone have guidance from the New York State Police on how it should be legally stored in a locked vehicle?  Should it be unloaded, a trigger lock attached and hidden from sight?  Or is it going to be your fault entirely if some criminal steals the handgun or any firearm from your vehicle?

Many restrictions placed on transporting firearms, particularly handguns

The most general firearms rule applicable to vehicle transport in New York State is that it is illegal to transport any type of gun in a car if the gun is loaded unless you possess a valid New York Permit to Carry.

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Obviously im not a lawyer but in court i think you would be better off if it was stolen from a locked gun safe and you reported vs. a guy who just leaves it laying in a truck like a pack of cigarettes and then don't report it missing. 

In this case he has always kept in the center console out of sight. He obviously doesn't check to see if it is there every time he gets in or out of the truck. When he did discover it was missing he assumed he had taken it out and put it somewhere else but couldn't recall where.

I agree he made a big mistake by not reporting it but he was advised by a "state trooper" friend not to report it until he knew for sure.

The 15 yr. old kid obviously went thru the truck and found it in the console, so his first mistake was  # number 1 not taking it with him or # 2 not locking the truck.

I don't imagine taking it with him would have added to the "romantic" moment of visiting his girlfriend so leaving it in the truck was the most logical thing to do but in hindsight he should have locked the truck.

39 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I get it Steve , and I agree with others that taking his long guns was uncalled for . But look at this from the laws side, a presumably loaded gun was left in an unlocked? truck, and then when he couldn’t find it in the truck , he wasn’t even sure it was there to start with .

On gun forums , leaving handguns in vehicles is a hot topic , with most avoiding that as much as possible. Vehicles are broken into more then homes ,it easier ,safer and faster , then there’s the unlocked ones . I know one guy who leaves his unlocked and empty, because the addict down the street has broken his windows so many times . Oh and that’s in Pittsford btw . I don’t have time to list all the guys I know who’s vehicles have been broken into ,but it spans from  firehouse parking lots to Wegmans .

Most of my gun guy friends have bought console safes for their trucks , I use a lock box with a cable , for the rare times I leave it .

I agree 100% that he should have been more aware but I to have been guilty of the same thing. Go to a friends house, or family member, for a visit, handgun in the glove box, and truck unlocked. I would never leave it over night unlocked but then again I probably wouldn't put my pants back on to go out and make sure the truck was locked.:wink:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ADK Native said:

That’s a question for your county pistol permit folks . From talking to my friend who approves and revokes them for the city near me , my two take aways were , unlocked vehicles ,and not knowing when it was stolen.

Think about it when one applies , at least here , there’s questions on the paperwork , on where the gun will be stored . Everyone says a safe or lock box of some kind . If they said “ oh I’ll keep it loaded in my unlocked truck” do you think they’ll get a permit ?  So step one press the lock button on your key fob  .  Step,two unload it, hide each separately do something , buy a lock box for the truck or trigger lock ,anything to show responsibility. 

last summer my wife and I went out on my father in laws boat. I was in the 1000 islands and had been toting my pocket pistol (lcp) in pocket holster. Anyhow  I had left it in the car which is something I don't like to do. I was sitting on the bow where just about anything could fall out of my pockets and did the little wallet/gun tap that we all unconsciously do and it wasn't there. I panicked thinking it had fallen into the water or maybe it was on the cushion where I was sitting before. This whole scenario described above went through my mind. Thankfully it was back in the car where I had left it, but it was one of those moments where I was second guessing if I left the iron on. Had I come back to the car and it wasn't there I'm not sure I would have reported it, given being out in a boat... but maybe I should have?

8 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Think about it when one applies , at least here , there’s questions on the paperwork , on where the gun will be stored . Everyone says a safe or lock box of some kind . If they said “ oh I’ll keep it loaded in my unlocked truck” do you think they’ll get a permit ?  So step one press the lock button on your key fob  .  Step,two unload it, hide each separately do something , buy a lock box for the truck or trigger lock ,anything to show responsibility. 

Once again I agree. I personally am not buying a lock box for the simple reason they can take the lock box & all. In addition if I should get in a situation where it is needed I wouldn't want to be fumbling with a lock box.

For now I hope that being out of sight in a locked vehicle will suffice and hope I never have to experience a break in, but will try to be more conscious about locking the vehicle.

Living in the country people tend to be less diligent an may not even lock their houses.

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

Thankfully it was back in the car where I had left it, but it was one of those moments where I was second guessing if I left the iron on. Had I come back to the car and it wasn't there I'm not sure I would have reported it, given being out in a boat... but maybe I should have?

The old "lost them in a boating accident" story (just kidding). 

I hear where you are coming from. I would say if one gets to the point where they truly don't know where it is to report it.

If it shows up later I would rather feel like an idiot reporting I found it than actually having it stolen and not reporting it.

• Like 1

When I’m doing errands my pistol is often in my truck, bank, school, post office, etc. the problem is if I’m not at work my dogs with me so I always have my windows down. Truck might be locked but still pretty easy to get in or if it’s hot my truck is running and obviously not locked.

What I did was bolted a finger Print safe in my center console. My holster and gun goes in when I pull in and comes out when I get back in truck. I’m not Loading and unloading a gun in a parking lot! That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard and asking for big troubles! I can only imagine the local news paper article of the guy that negligently discharged his firearm in the school parking lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk