Career Change

Swamp_bucks

Last year I posted asking information about becoming a CO.  After a few months of debating with myself I decided that I dont have that type of confrontational personality needed for it.  

However the one thing I have always enjoyed was helping people.  Ever since I was a kid I was always willing to lend a helping hand.  Late last year it kind of hit me like a brick wall what it was I wanted to do.  

I currently work as a machinist in a factory. It pays good most of the people I can tolerate.  Its just not what I want to do.  I figured at 33 I better get it figured out.  I worked in this field years ago and loved it but just didnt pay the bills being a non profit company.

Well I have 2 interviews this week to get into the nursing field.  I have the ability to take a small pay cut and make the move to a nursing assitant at a local hospital.  My hope is that within 6 months of being hired on I will start taking classes to become an RN or LPN that they help pay for.   As of right now I'm looking at the ICU, Special Care unit or ER as a spot to get into. However working in the hospital will allow me to figure out which field I truly want to be in.

I have the support of my family and friends which helps.  It's scary to think about switching careers but at the same time I cant wait for the next chapter of my life to start.

• Like 33

i myself am in the machining field and have wondered if this is what ill want to stick with.love what i do,just sometimes it seems to be a bit much and where my back will be in 10 years of standing on concrete floors.still young and have time to figure it out.i wish you the best on the change,sounds exciting!!!!!!

• Like 1

Go for it!!! 

I had to make the same decision 28yrs. ago.I had three careers to choose from all made the same money so it was a matter of picking the one i would enjoy the most.Well i'm 9 months away from retirement and can say other then a few turds i've worked with it's been a great career.I have no regrets.

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I too worked as a machinist. I enjoyed the craft of it, but we were mainly job lots, and it was mind numbingly repetitious at times. I also took advantage of an opportunity to move into nursing...my twentieth year currently. There is ample training benefits out there, depending on your situation you may need to look for them. Dont disregard online classes. Good luck!

• Like 1

My wife went into nursing at age 35. The college was a lot of work but she made it.  I think only 23 out of 84 students graduated.  She has been working as a nurse in different departments since then. It opens up a pretty broad field of work becoming an RN. I think you should go for that,as an LPN you will get paid less and have less options.  Definetely look into hospital sponsored education options. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the support.  I enjoy machining and it's a great skill to have and very happy I learned a trade like that.  Met some of the smartest people and great people doing what I currently do.  I just cant see myself doing that line of work another 30yrs or more.  

I know schooling will be tough but I feel that since it's what I really want to do I'll get through it some way.  Wether it means taking online courses, in person or a combination I'll get it done.

I have a buddy, a marine, who never really found a good career fit after get ting out of the service. He eventually went back to school and is now an RN in the ED. He loves what he does. I'm also in healthcare, but not on the clinical side. healthcare across the state is hurting for good people. Good luck with the change. You'll have lots of opportunities open to you in nursing.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are making the right call. I made a move from sales to education a little over 10 years ago and haven't looked back. I'm sure I would be making more money if I'd stayed with sales, but there's not a lot that can replace being happy in your work. Good for you!

• Like 1

Career changes can be good as long as one doesn't make a change that makes them more un-happy.

I don't think to many of us know what we want to be when we grow up. Try all you can til you find something you like and hope it doesn't take 20 years.

I can count the number of people I know on one hand that "love" their job.

Good Luck in Your search!!!!!

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I can count the number of people I know on one hand that "love" their job.

This statement has always struck me funny. When I was just out of college all my mom's sisters would ask me if I loved my job. That it was important to love your job. No I don't love my job. I've never loved a single job that I had. I've quit jobs that I didn't like but mostly a job is a means to an end. I enjoy many of my coworkers and I don't hate what I do. It does pay well and I do love to hunt, fish, new tech and supporting my family. And so my job allows me to "love my life". That's how I look at it anyway.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

And so my job allows me to "love my life". That's how I look at it anyway.

Good attitude for sure.  Wish I would have looked at it like that after some pretty frustrating positions.

Couldn't tell how may times I have said  "it pays the bills".

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

I have some similar perspective in that sense.

If I wanted to pay the bills, I wouldn't be doing what I am. I could do something much more enjoyable work wise rather than some white collar office business leader. It's way too much (non enjoyable) work and effort for that. I will admit I suffer from grass is greener on the other side lol - when in office, the guys talk about what they would do to trade places with the ones outside running the zero turn passing by the windows. I think it is human nature to some degree.

Instead what I do allows me to change family trajectories potentially and affords me the things I want to achieve outside of work. I certainly understand purpose-driven is a growing career "thing" in America, but generationally, I think it's hard for me to accomplish purpose and financial security.

I do hope somewhere between 45-50 I find a path that allows me to simplify. I can't see me doing this at 50 - I'll be running the tank on E. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, phade said:

I have some similar perspective in that sense.

If I wanted to pay the bills, I wouldn't be doing what I am. I could do something much more enjoyable work wise rather than some white collar office business leader. It's way too much (non enjoyable) work and effort for that. I will admit I suffer from grass is greener on the other side lol - when in office, the guys talk about what they would do to trade places with the ones outside running the zero turn passing by the windows. I think it is human nature to some degree.

Instead what I do allows me to change family trajectories potentially and affords me the things I want to achieve outside of work. I certainly understand purpose-driven is a growing career "thing" in America, but generationally, I think it's hard for me to accomplish purpose and financial security.

I do hope somewhere between 45-50 I find a path that allows me to simplify. I can't see me doing this at 50 - I'll be running the tank on E. 

I'm 37 and feel like my role as an executive has already eaten away my soul and spirt. I work with guys in their late 50's and to think that they've been doing this for twice the amount of time I've been employed post college... I can't imagine or fathom keeping this going. 

I have buddies who are seemingly happy plowing driveways and cutting lawns. Then they head out on their own to start their own business and the freedom from punching out and just being done fades. Now they're always taking calls and searching for new business. I never truly punch out at my job and that comes with a price, but I'm also compensated for that. These are the trade offs. 

I think everyone is wired differently and everyone should find a career and job that works for them. Which is what I think swamp is doing and I applaud him for that. Money is not everything, especially if the route to achieve more of it makes you miserable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rachunter said:

Go for it!!! 

I had to make the same decision 28yrs. ago.I had three careers to choose from all made the same money so it was a matter of picking the one i would enjoy the most.Well i'm 9 months away from retirement and can say other then a few turds i've worked with it's been a great career.I have no regrets.

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY!!!!!!!

very motivating story. All that we can conclude that your ssa benefits is waiting for you 

and it's great when you can go on a well-deserved rest!