Career Change

Swamp_bucks

6 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Thanks for the support.  I enjoy machining and it's a great skill to have and very happy I learned a trade like that.  Met some of the smartest people and great people doing what I currently do.  I just cant see myself doing that line of work another 30yrs or more.  

I know schooling will be tough but I feel that since it's what I really want to do I'll get through it some way.  Wether it means taking online courses, in person or a combination I'll get it done.

My youngest is a RN at Strong , he just transferred to the E/D from the cancer center and loves his job. Nursing courses and of course the the dreaded NCLEX  is one of the hardest exams he’s had to take. But he has impressed me with how smart that kid is . You’ll do well, machinist  are some of the smartest people I know. Best of luck to you. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

This statement has always struck me funny. When I was just out of college all my mom's sisters would ask me if I loved my job. That it was important to love your job. No I don't love my job. I've never loved a single job that I had. I've quit jobs that I didn't like but mostly a job is a means to an end. I enjoy many of my coworkers and I don't hate what I do. It does pay well and I do love to hunt, fish, new tech and supporting my family. And so my job allows me to "love my life". That's how I look at it anyway.

I couldn’t agree more! I don’t love my job! I don’t hate it but I definitely don’t love it. I picked a career that allows me to work 2 out of every 6 days and take 3 months off for deer season and another month off for turkey season. I absolutely love that my career gives me the time and money to do what I love.

I would way rather have time to do what I live than have a job I love but no time to do other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I love my career, maybe individual projects some days can be so-so, but overall its darn good. I feel sorry for those that trudge though life unhappy all the time because they feel trapped in something they hate. It's too much time to spend each week being miserable from my perspective. I have a ton of fun at hobbies, and have a ton of fun accomplishing projects at work. Win-win

Go for it. Find something that spins your propeller. Good luck!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I couldn’t agree more! I don’t love my job! I don’t hate it but I definitely don’t love it. I picked a career that allows me to work 2 out of every 6 days and take 3 months off for deer season and another month off for turkey season. I absolutely love that my career gives me the time and money to do what I love.

I would way rather have time to do what I live than have a job I love but no time to do other things.

As long as I get the job I will have about the same schedule. I wont get the 3 months off or month for  hunting but its 3days on 4 off.  From what they said could end up with 6 days in between.  With unlimited overtime.  Plus I'll be in a job I want and give me more time for family and hobbies once I get done with my schooling.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Last year I posted asking information about becoming a CO.  After a few months of debating with myself I decided that I dont have that type of confrontational personality needed for it.  

However the one thing I have always enjoyed was helping people.  Ever since I was a kid I was always willing to lend a helping hand.  Late last year it kind of hit me like a brick wall what it was I wanted to do.  

I currently work as a machinist in a factory. It pays good most of the people I can tolerate.  Its just not what I want to do.  I figured at 33 I better get it figured out.  I worked in this field years ago and loved it but just didnt pay the bills being a non profit company.

Well I have 2 interviews this week to get into the nursing field.  I have the ability to take a small pay cut and make the move to a nursing assitant at a local hospital.  My hope is that within 6 months of being hired on I will start taking classes to become an RN or LPN that they help pay for.   As of right now I'm looking at the ICU, Special Care unit or ER as a spot to get into. However working in the hospital will allow me to figure out which field I truly want to be in.

I have the support of my family and friends which helps.  It's scary to think about switching careers but at the same time I cant wait for the next chapter of my life to start.

Good luck!!

I mentioned your plans to my wife who is director of research at Flaum Eye Institute, and she suggested that I offer the slightly different alternative of becoming an ophthalmic technician. Flaum currently has an internship program where they are training ophthalmic technicians - it turns out that they are in short supply and high demand. Given your background, it may be a way of meshing your existing skill set with a new career. It is patient care oriented in a clinical setting, and while a stand-alone career option, could certainly segue into becoming an RN. Check it out, and LMK if you would like me to forward you her contact information. She'd be pleased to talk to you.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, knehrke said:

I mentioned your plans to my wife who is director of research at Flaum Eye Institute, and she suggested that I offer the slightly different alternative of becoming an ophthalmic technician. Flaum currently has an internship program where they are training ophthalmic technicians - it turns out that they are in short supply and high demand. Given your background, it may be a way of meshing your existing skill set with a new career. It is patient care oriented in a clinical setting, and while a stand-alone career option, could certainly segue into becoming an RN. Check it out, and LMK if you would like me to forward you her contact information. She'd be pleased to talk to you.

That would be cool however looks like that is in the Rochester area?  If so it's about 3hrs from me.  Thank you for reaching out to me.  I will certainly take a look at it.  

Best of luck ! Our oldest is a RN at Strong , it’s a great job, one she’s proud of ,  but a tough one  the schedule is a b!tch . When she was on a med / surg floor the constant switching back and forth between days and nights takes it’s toll , honestly when on a 12 1/2 hour night you just go home and sleep until it’s time to work again . You first day off is spent sleeping .

But it’s rewarding and you can get another job in any city in a blink of an eye . She got a job in NYC , moved in with her BF . When she had enough of him, Strong gave her ,her old job back, as if she never left .

After five years she got a M-F day job , a goal of many nurses .

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

That would be cool however looks like that is in the Rochester area?  If so it's about 3hrs from me.  Thank you for reaching out to me.  I will certainly take a look at it.  

I don't know how willing you might be to travel, but the Flaum internship is a training program, the result of which is portable. I can't speak to whether similar programs exist in 7P, but the job itself is worth checking out as an alternative to an aide position - there are advantages (reading Nomad's post) such as "regular" hours. If you want more info, LMK.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:24 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

The short version for me is I work to live, not live to work. Every job has its pros and cons,you gotta know what's important to you.

• Like 1

I have nothing but respect for folks in the nursing field. I do not have the heart to be around hurt, sick and ill people every day. I have great friends that are RNs and love it, though the shifts can be hard for some. I hope you find your niche!

That said I am one of those not really ever loved any job lol. It has always been a means to support my family. It has afforded me the ability to travel all over, they pay me more than just about anything else legal I could do lol and I have tremendous flexibility with my schedule. So the job affords me and my family to enjoy the rest of my life very well. And hopefully retire before I get out of my 50's.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, josephmrtn said:

Good Luck! I'm a Paramedic and My mom and sister are both RN's. The medical field can be awesome to work in and has a lot of opportunities for growth and taking your career in different directions.

Good for you John !

As a FF /emt I was always happy when the ambulance with the Paramedics pulled up ! 

The one good thing about my current job is I work 3rd shift 6 days which actually puts me at work 7 days a week just how the schedule is so I'm used to the crap shifts and lack of sleep.  It would be nice to get a good day shift once I become an rn but I do know that is easier said then done.   

However with how these shifts apparently work I can actually enjoy a day off and do the things I enjoy and even allow me to do more with the family which is what I want the most.  I'm always working and if I'm not I'm sleeping so I can work again.  

On 4/8/2021 at 4:37 PM, avg. joe said:

Go for it. I plan on retiring next year, but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

I retired late last year and collecting SS and due to the fact I'm not yet at full SS Age if I want to work the income is limited to $ 1500.00 per month ! Lo and Behold I saw this job on " Indeed " > NAPA Delivery Driver < !    Not really looking for a job but always thought it would be fun to drive a small pickup truck with a Hat on it !   LOL

• Like 2

I had a very great career in conservation (forestry). Was lucky enough  to get a job in the field. Never had a day I did not look forward to work. But over the years, I met so many folks that hated their job, or just tolerated it  to keep the family solvent and provide for there kids. If you can get into it, go for it. Many of  my family are in the nursing profession and all love it, although  the  past couple of years the stress from understaffing and Covid 19 has been intense. Have you thought about night courses that woudl work up to a LPN or RN?

1 hour ago, Farflung said:

I had a very great career in conservation (forestry). Was lucky enough  to get a job in the field. Never had a day I did not look forward to work. But over the years, I met so many folks that hated their job, or just tolerated it  to keep the family solvent and provide for there kids. If you can get into it, go for it. Many of  my family are in the nursing profession and all love it, although  the  past couple of years the stress from understaffing and Covid 19 has been intense. Have you thought about night courses that woudl work up to a LPN or RN?

Yes actually me and the wife just got done talking about going lpn to rn.  Like I told my wife either way it's the field i want and I will get one or the other.   Hoping working before I start classes will help allow me to figure out which one is the best for me.