"Whistle" to him to get a shot

Northcountryman

Recently, I read from a Deer Hutning manual that if a Buck is running past you , a good way to get a decent shot is to call out "Hey Buck" to get him to stop or, at least, slow down. for a shot; the response--I guess-  out of curiousity.  I dont think it would work with a buck on a full run but walking or a full trot- maybe.  

IF this tip were successful , I wouldnt imagine a call or a shout would be that much different from a whistle in terms of being effective, right? I would prefer to whistle , I think as it wouldnt be be as disruptive to the hunting environment (in case it doesnt work , you dont want to spoil your chances for other opportunities later, in other words). 

Something very  similar to this scenario  actually occurred to me A number of years ago.  I was sitting  in my stand for an early am hunt when behind me, I noticed a nice 6 pointer; unfortunately, at the time, he was walking away from me so my only viable  shot would have been right up the ass!  My Principal at the time- an avid Whitetail Hunter himself- told me I should have whistled to get him to turn.  

What do you think?

I have stopped Many a doe by whistling.... like when you go over a ridge and scare them... they run off. Immediately you whistle and many times they will stop and present a shot!

Only once or twice has that happened with a buck.... but... Try it... if they are scared anyway what have you got to lose?

• Like 2

I have yelled at bucks more than I can remember. One buck ran around me three times over the course of two hours chasing a doe and the third time he slowed up enough to shoot. I'm pretty sure I was yelling obscenities at him.

In the peak of the hard chasing, it can be darn near impossible to get a buck to pay attention to his immediate surroundings beyond the does/competing bucks.

Outside of the rut, I don't do it as much. Used to, but less now. I use clicks more now just to bring a deer to a pause for a shot but that has also backfired too. 

• Like 2

I've stopped many bucks with a whistle. Most were bothering a doe. I've yelled at bucks that were running a doe hard. If the doe stops, the buck often does.  

I got a nice 8 few yr back that was chasing a doe at a full run through thick cover, grunting at every bound. I yelled loud, but no luck. 10 min later they came back through at warp speed.  Figured I've got nothing to loose, so I touched off a round. They both stopped in there tracks. Quickly and quietly I reloded, and shot the buck as soon as he cleared some brush. 

Great advice here. If the deer will run past you why not try something when you have nothing to loose. Shooting of a round was clever,that would not have occurred to me. Wouldn't work for me since I only gun hunt with a muzzleloader, but the idea is clever.

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Recently, I read from a Deer Hutning manual that if a Buck is running past you , a good way to get a decent shot is to call out "Hey Buck" to get him to stop or, at least, slow down. for a shot; the response--I guess-  out of curiousity.  I dont think it would work with a buck on a full run but walking or a full trot- maybe.  

IF this tip were successful , I wouldnt imagine a call or a shout would be that much different from a whistle in terms of being effective, right? I would prefer to whistle , I think as it wouldnt be be as disruptive to the hunting environment (in case it doesnt work , you dont want to spoil your chances for other opportunities later, in other words). 

Something very  similar to this scenario  actually occurred to me A number of years ago.  I was sitting  in my stand for an early am hunt when behind me, I noticed a nice 6 pointer; unfortunately, at the time, he was walking away from me so my only viable  shot would have been right up the ass!  My Principal at the time- an avid Whitetail Hunter himself- told me I should have whistled to get him to turn.  

What do you think?

That only works if the deer"s name is buck if its harry or joe they keep on running 

I  think making a deer sound works better,   like baaaaaa sound .

Edited by phantom

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

If I make a sound at all, it's just a Baaaaa.... like a sheep sound.

And at different volumes, very soft, to loud, depending on the situation, or how far away the deer is.

This is what i have done a couple of times.....I'm guessing it sounds more like ahhhhhh in the heat of the moment. I am not sure if the sound matters as long as they stop thinking what was that.....

I had one of the biggest bucks  I’ve laid eyes on jump out of his skin when I braaat at him. I was at full draw he was 32 yards and walking broadside I did my braaat just loud enough for him to hear it and he turned  tail and bolted out of there. I’ve stoped 2 bucks by hitting my grunt call and try to use that when ever I can. 

I have used a grunt call quite a few times to get a deers attention. I have never had any luck blind calling them, but a deer in the distance, running, etc. I have called closer or gottent them to stop. I have also just done a hard "blow" through my nose successfully. 

Stopped a boat load of deer with Baaa, or whistle, not running ones though  ( slugs work well though ) , and you gotta be ready to shoot fast .

Ive found adding a sign also helps .

40BCDC31-0AED-49E6-BEBA-DF14FF42E214.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, mowin said:

I've stopped many bucks with a whistle. Most were bothering a doe. I've yelled at bucks that were running a doe hard. If the doe stops, the buck often does.  

I got a nice 8 few yr back that was chasing a doe at a full run through thick cover, grunting at every bound. I yelled loud, but no luck. 10 min later they came back through at warp speed.  Figured I've got nothing to loose, so I touched off a round. They both stopped in there tracks. Quickly and quietly I reloded, and shot the buck as soon as he cleared some brush. 

Ok , so you shot intentionally to get their attention then right ?

8 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

What do you think?

What was the range and what was your weapon, and how high above the 6 pointer were you at the time ?

I was in that same position, on an Adirondack 6 pointer in 2016.  I fired a 150 gr 30/06 right on the mark (within 1/64"), from the same level, using a good rest, when he stopped, 50 yards away.  

To this day, that was far and away, the best shot I have made on a deer with any weapon.  The guts came out as clean as a whistle.   The only meat damage was a slice across the bottom of the heart and a lost neck roast.  The buck was DRT.  He stopped there on his own with no whistle.

Edited by wolc123

22 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Ok , so you shot intentionally to get their attention then right ?

Yes, yelling at the top of my lungs had no effect.  Nothing to loose at that point.  Ended up with a fantastic deer.  

IMG_20151121_103030479.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

What do you think?

If that is the case shoot a round if it stops shoot another.. should stop for the noise right??  Stopping a deer by making a noise puts deer on high alert  . Fine with gun maybe,  bad idea with bow as it will duck your arrow. 

You can turn a deer by shooting in front of it into a tree the smack will turn him many times back toward you

• Like 1

Lots of interesting stuff has happened with me and 6 pointers.  Last opening day of gun season, one strolled by, about 50 yards away, thru some broken cover, at a pretty good clip.  I only saw 2 points on the near side (which was below my self-imposed antler restriction at that point), so I didn't attempt a shot.

Just for kicks, I blasted out a few loud grunts with my new call, just as he dissapeared.  Sure enough, that brought him right back straight towards me, on a wire.  When he was about 30 yards out, I clearly saw the 3 points on the opposite side.  That was enough to trip my trigger and I slipped a 12 ga sabot into his shirt pocket.

My slug hit a little inside of the mark,  as I intended to catch the edge of the shoulder blade and anchor him right there.  It passed thru the boiler room, but he expired 100 yards away, in the middle of a very thick swamp, making for a drag that I was lucky to survive.

Edited by wolc123

Footnote: When you make any noise to make a buck stop, he's probably going to end-up looking at you. So be prepared to shoot as you make the noise.

I've stopped many bucks in their tracks using a doe bleat sound. Even after the (bow) shot they "may" stop for several seconds, reducing the retrieval somewhat or go down within sight.